Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 117 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

Do you think that Nick's draft strategy may depend, in part, on how close he feels we are to putting together a superbowl run? Let me explain what i mean.

If he feels that we have a good enough chance to reach the big one this year, maybe he will choose a talent that can come in and contribute straight away, perhaps a lineman like Winston Justice, a linebacker such as Chad Greenway or Demeco Ryans or a safety like Donte Whitner or Jimmy Williams, to help push us over the edge and make us real contenders.

If, on the other hand, he feels we are still 1 or 2 years away, he could decide to draft a player who is rough around the edges and needs a lot of work, but has enourmous potential and upside. Players such as Manny Lawson, Antonio Cromartie and Chad Jackson might be players that fall into this category.

Personally, I am hoping for one of the latter group, as I see in them the potential to be All-Pros for years to come. There is a risk factor with these players, but with the correct coaching and development they could become superstars.cMeanwhile the first group, while they will undoubtedly be a solid group of players, I don't see them ever quite making it to the very top of the pile. JMO.

Anyway, here's hoping that 'With the Number 16 pick of the 2006 NFL draft, the Miami Dolphins select...Manny Lawson!'

Ok, with hindsight, I'm going to have a go at answering my own question thta I posted above, in relation to our first 2 picks, Jason Allen and Derek Hagan.

Jason Allen, in my opinion, dosnt cleanly fall into either of the two categories I mentioned above. I feel that, in the short run, he has the potential to be a very solid starter at safety in the league, and can definitely help us out from day one of the new season. I have more confidence in his ability to do this than I would have been with a Cromartie, a Lawson, or even a Jackson. However, I do feel that he also has a great deal of unfulfilled potential, and his combine numbers (4.39 40, 39.5 inch vertical etc) suggest that physically, he has a very high ceiling, and with good coaching (who better than Saban?) he could blossom into a Reed/Polamalu type. That may be optimistic, but see no reason why it couldn't happen. Overall, i see this as an excellent pick, because of the low-risk/high reward nature of the player. (I should mention that I don't see his injuries as much of a risk, if any. If there was a worry, he wouldn't have gone at 16)

Everything I have seen and read of Derek Hagan suggests that he is most certainly a player who fits into the first group. Good in all categories (speed, size, hands, route running etc...), but not exceptional in any of them. He will develop into the perfect foil for Chambers, a solid possession receiver to compliment the game-breaking skills of Chris, Ronnie and Randy. I personally don't believe that he will ever have the skills to be a #1, but an excellent #2 in the 3rd round is very good value.

I'm very happy wth day 1 of the 2006 draft (don't forget Culpepper!), and im hoping for another safety or a linebacker in round 4, with O-line and more defense with the 7ths.

GO PHINS!!!

bump...

hey Boomer aside from the fact that we apparently got decent value with our 4th rouder

what do you think about Holy Joe Toledo

I finally found the thread.....

Just wanted to have your insight on Ahmad Brooks, I know what I think of him, but I was wondering your opinion, what type of pick would you be willing to give up in the Sup. Draft for him? If any at all

Alex22 said:
I finally found the thread.....

Just wanted to have your insight on Ahmad Brooks, I know what I think of him, but I was wondering your opinion, what type of pick would you be willing to give up in the Sup. Draft for him? If any at all

Somewhwere in thread Boomer said that he would spend a supplemental 3rd on Brooks but the caveats where that he's a headcase and he has weight issues.

duss12 said:
bump...

hey Boomer aside from the fact that we apparently got decent value with our 4th rouder

what do you think about Holy Joe Toledo

Not sure how old your post was but why does everyone think taking an injury prone guy that has averaged playing about half of the games per year in college due to injuries, and has played a grand total of 9 games at LT is such a great value.

Back
Top Bottom