Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 114 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

Finfanforever said:
Hey Boom,

Does the RW situation increase the chances of Saban trading down? Who are the most likely trade partners?

Thanks!

There are clearly players Nick would like at 16, but of they're gone then he will try and be aggressive in moving down.

As for trade partners.......Seattle, Pittsburgh to name but 2.

First Post here love the site from a Fin Fan in LA!

Boomer,

What do you think of Havner the LB from UCLA? Any shot the Fins pick him up in Day Two or would he be gone by then?

Thanks

Chavez

Boomer said:
Well if anyone knows Claude it's Nick. And sometimes that talent is hard to pass up.

BTW - please sign up for the FH Draft Chat if you haven't already.

I heard someone on one of the many, many draft shows on ESPN say that Wroten would enter the NFL in the drug program because of this, so he basically would start with one strike against him.

hey boomer, we need a non ricky/javon post on the first page.

Charecter issues can be a big concern for teams when drafting, besides wroten do you see any players that may take a Crowder-esque dive out of the first round for character/health concerns?

also, what happened to freddie roach? did he declare and if so, what round would he possibly go?

thanks

what do you guys think about Greg Threat? he's my pick for the late round gem of the draft

brparkway said:
I heard someone on one of the many, many draft shows on ESPN say that Wroten would enter the NFL in the drug program because of this, so he basically would start with one strike against him.

Yes, you are correct. If he tested positive at the Combine he enters the league already in the substance abuse program...but I think you can get out of the program if you test clean for a year or something like that.

He's still a heck of a talent and perfectly suited for Saban's D. He's a strong 3rd or 4th round candidate...if he falls that far.

phinfan77 said:
hey boomer, we need a non ricky/javon post on the first page.

Charecter issues can be a big concern for teams when drafting, besides wroten do you see any players that may take a Crowder-esque dive out of the first round for character/health concerns?

also, what happened to freddie roach? did he declare and if so, what round would he possibly go?

thanks

Jimmy Williams is taking a hard rap for character concerns. If he falls to a certain spot he'll become one of those value type selections...even though when you get down to it he's not a top athlete (in terms of size/speed type stuff) among the DBs.

Max Jean-Gilles is falling because teams are worried he'll eat his way out of the league, but the man is big and has always been big. He's been approximately the same weight since just after high school, according to things I've seen. I think scouts expected him to try and lose weight for the pre-draft period, get down to that 335-340 range where the biggest of the big men tend to place themselves in an effort to run the best 40's possible and test well, etc. He didn't do that, and has openly wondered why everyone is getting on him about his weight when clearly everyone seems to appreciate it come game day when he uses his weight to stop DTs dead in their tracks and to bowl over defenders. Anyway Jean-Gilles seems to be dropping for these reasons and I'm not sure where he'll end up drafted, but he's likely to be the best interior lineman in this draft, including Nick Mangold.

Gabe Watson initially seemed like he was going to climb into the mid-first. He's fallen back to the 2nd on character concerns...and I'm not sure I see the character issues. Guy seems like a saint from what I've seen in his interviews. He's given away every bowl ring he ever earned. His only financial plans for the NFL money right now include setting up an organization to help underpriveleged youths. They question his work ethic, question his being benched, question his disappearing from games. Personally I question whether he really ever did disappear from the games. The man has never had a single runner score a rushing touchdown over him in a goal line situation. Ask centers around college what they think about Watson and they ask for "an aspirin" because he gives them a headache. He was so dominant at one point in Senior Bowl practices, that the coaches had to take him out at one point because the offensive lineman just weren't able to get any productive work done. That north OL featured Charles Spencer and Nick Mangold, too. Heck Charles Spencer gained notoriety among OL at the senior bowl for being the only man to knock Watson to the ground. He's king kong, and he'll be a great NFL player.

LenDale White's another guy that is sinking supposedly on draft boards but who is actually in all likelihood the 2nd best runner in the draft (IMO, DeAngelo is the best...LenDale #2...Reggie may be #3).

ckparrothead said:
Gabe Watson initially seemed like he was going to climb into the mid-first. He's fallen back to the 2nd on character concerns...and I'm not sure I see the character issues. Guy seems like a saint from what I've seen in his interviews. He's given away every bowl ring he ever earned. His only financial plans for the NFL money right now include setting up an organization to help underpriveleged youths. They question his work ethic, question his being benched, question his disappearing from games. Personally I question whether he really ever did disappear from the games. The man has never had a single runner score a rushing touchdown over him in a goal line situation. Ask centers around college what they think about Watson and they ask for "an aspirin" because he gives them a headache. He was so dominant at one point in Senior Bowl practices, that the coaches had to take him out at one point because the offensive lineman just weren't able to get any productive work done. That north OL featured Charles Spencer and Nick Mangold, too. Heck Charles Spencer gained notoriety among OL at the senior bowl for being the only man to knock Watson to the ground. He's king kong, and he'll be a great NFL player.

LenDale White's another guy that is sinking supposedly on draft boards but who is actually in all likelihood the 2nd best runner in the draft (IMO, DeAngelo is the best...LenDale #2...Reggie may be #3).

Today, Salguero wrote an article about the Vikings and Jets being possible trade down partners if Cutler is there at #16. This rumor seems very possible to me since the Vikings should definately be interested, they're one pick behind us 17 and the Jets have QB concerns as well. If the Jets have all 3 QBs graded close, then maybe they're thinking Brick at #4 and then wheel and deal themselves back into position to take Cutler.

In your opinion, what would the Jets have to give up to pick at #16? I ask, because I think this is one of those occasions where you might have to throw out the draft pick compensation chart since we're dealing with a division rival. I don't know how involved the Dolphins wanna be in the Jets getting Ferguson and Cutler either. That would take care of 2 out of the 4 most important positions on the football field imo...the other 2 being RDE and a shutdown CB. I'd love some extra picks, but I'm having a hard time typing Ferguson, Cutler and Jets in the same sentence...:barf:Do you think Gabe Watson would be a reach at 29?

Finfanforever said:
Boom, CK

ESPN just has the Fins selecting Manny Lawson @ #16. Would that be considered a reach?

Nope. That would represent great value and would have CK and I doing headflips of a sort.

;)

DoLpHiNz34 said:
Today, Salguero wrote an article about the Vikings and Jets being possible trade down partners if Cutler is there at #16. This rumor seems very possible to me since the Vikings should definately be interested, they're one pick behind us 17 and the Jets have QB concerns as well. If the Jets have all 3 QBs graded close, then maybe they're thinking Brick at #4 and then wheel and deal themselves back into position to take Cutler.

In your opinion, what would the Jets have to give up to pick at #16? I ask, because I think this is one of those occasions where you might have to throw out the draft pick compensation chart since we're dealing with a division rival. I don't know how involved the Dolphins wanna be in the Jets getting Ferguson and Cutler either. That would take care of 2 out of the 4 most important positions on the football field imo...the other 2 being RDE and a shutdown CB. I'd love some extra picks, but I'm having a hard time typing Ferguson, Cutler and Jets in the same sentence...:barf:Do you think Gabe Watson would be a reach at 29?

You should have stopped at "today Salguero wrote an article".

I am of the belief that the Jets will let the board come to them. They have enough picks to make a real impact. I think they'll stand pat and really fills holes, especially on the OL.

Boomer, can we please ask, when are you going to release your very last mock draft, i am still under impression of your last-year one. That was the most perfect mock draft i have ever seen. Not just that year. Ever.

Thanks in advance.

DoLpHiNz34 said:

There's two ways to think about that. You could say you throw the chart out cuz its a division rival. But, I say the opposite. It's a division rival. Both sides are going to view each other very suspiciously. In that situation the best way to convince both sides they got a "fair" deal is by 3rd party mediation. In a sense, the "chart" provides that mediation.

So I say that in all likelihood, any trade within divisions is going to approximate the chart values VERY closely.

By the chart, if the Jets gave us #29 and #35, and we gave them #16 and #82, that would hash out on the chart.

Big Gabe Watson would not be a total reach at either 29 or 35. There's also a decent chance that one of the players we considered at 16 will be available at 29. Right now, Cromartie seems the most likely, as some teams are really uncomfortable with his knee and inexperience it appears.

what happened?

Boner,
You told me a month ago within this thread that based on the info you had that you knew R Williams would not lose his appeal. Where did your "inside info" you said you had let you down?

aproudmonkey said:
Boner,
You told me a month ago within this thread that based on the info you had that you knew R Williams would not lose his appeal. Where did your "inside info" you said you had let you down?

Most likely Boomer's source was just making a prediction...a prediction that while based on better information than we lay folk generally have, is still just a prediction.

If the weather man tells you that hurricane season is going to be more active this year than last year, you'd probably say "I have an inside source that tells me...etc". The season may be just as active as last year or it may be less active. Your inside source was still just making a prediction based on incomplete facts....but since his facts are better than the lay man's facts it still qualifies as a knowledgeable source.

Back
Top Bottom