Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 44 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

J Tes said:
Hey Boomer/ CK. Great work. I believe that Saban will address Miami's biggest need prior to the draft. That need being QB (hopefully by the signing of Brees). So going into the draft I see Miami's biggest needs as OL/DL/and Secondary. I have nothing to base this on, but I just dont see Miami spending a high draft pick on the O-line. I am a a huge Cromartie fan, and hope he's the pick at 16. But my question is, most of us know about Cromartie, Bunkley, Watson, but who should we know about as possible 2nd round targets at DT, and CB? Thanks

OL in the 1st round is a wildcard. We can talk all we want about Winston Justice being a great fit and possibly being there at #16...etc. But, do we know that Saban even feels from a philosophical standpoint that we need to be spending 1st round picks on OL? He may have gone out and bought Hudson Houck to avoid doing just that.

Guys we might not have talked about that are 2nd round possibilities at DT and CB. Hmmm. Well, Jason Allen is a possibility as a Safety or CB. Richard Marshall of Fresno St is a STRONG second round possibility at CB. You never know if Tye Hill is going to fall down that far, and I know Saban has interest there. Johnathon Joseph of South Carolina is a possibility at CB. On DL, Babatunde Oshinowo of Stanford is the strongest possibility. He played NT in Stanford's 3-4 technique...and as they say about Donnie Spragan, he's a Stanford guy so he can't be all that dumb ;)

I think Ray Edwards of Purdue is a possibility, lots of physical talent there. Claude Wroten has to be considered a very strong possibility. His drug charges got dropped quickly enough to sneak back into Round 2 and he'd be perfect here. Kyle Williams is another possibility but more likely a Round 3 guy.

Great Stuff Guys!

ckparrothead said:
1. I'm not sure I see Shirdonya going in the 3rd and definitely not in the 2nd. Speed was not at a premium for the cornerbacks in last year's draft...the whole draft was full of corners with speed. What I got from him is that he was probably a 5th, might have been a 4th, had he not blown his knee. We'll see how he pans out...but don't start declaring Ogunleye on him yet. Remember, we also took the same chance on Yeremiah Bell and to date he's just been a semi-talented role player. Sometimes those gambles/investments pay off, other times they do not. I do know that Shirdonya has an uphill battle just to get some playing time in the dime formation.

2. Reggie McNeal will end up a 3rd round pick or maybe even a 2nd round pick, IMO. I can understand the criticism that he has been inconsistent reading a defense. But, I do not understand any criticism involving touch on his throws. Whenever I've seen him touch has been the last of his problems. His deep throws have fantastic touch and trajectory, and when he's on his game they fall in just over the outside shoulder of the receiver perfectly in stride. You couldn't ask for better. He throws a VERY pretty ball.

He really knows how to take something off his short passes to running backs too. When he's on his game, like for instance at the Shrine Game, he will literally display every single trait you could possibly look for in a QB, from making a read based on the coverage, to ball placement, progressing through the receivers, looking off the safety (a lost art), and knowing when to run and when to stand strong and throw. He needs to do all that more consistently, but that's the good news...is he knows how...and is capable of spending an entire game displaying all those wonderful attributes.

My thinking on this one is, this is a very average QB class...believe it or not...and if Quincy Carter and Marques Tuiasasopu can sneak into Round 2 I really don't see why McNeal could not. He's got all the foot speed of Mike Vick (might even be faster) but does not use his legs nearly as much as Mike did. KB did a good analysis in VIP that showed that in college, Vick had about a 60/40 split between passing/running in his total snaps. Vince Young is very close to that, like 62/38 or something. Michael Bishop was like that too. But Donovan McNabb and Reggie McNeal were both more like 67/33, or 69/31...Brooks was something like 77/23 and Culpepper was 75/25. When Reggie is in his comfort zone it seems to be when he's running 1 time every 4 times he touches the ball. Reggie definitely has Vick's arm...which is to say an incredible arm. Some of the prettiest throws you'll see. Unlike Vick, Reggie can throw accurately on a rope while scrambling to the right or left, either side...where Vick can only throw accurately scrambling to his dominant left side. Also unlike Vick, Reggie has bouts where he displays fantastic deep vertical accuracy...and he seems to see down the field well where Vick has been accused of being too short to do the same. Reggie seems like a full 6'2" on the field, I've watched him closely next to guys that are really tall and some of them he even seems taller than them so I wonder if when they measure him Reggie will be like 6025 or something like that. More likely 6015...but it's deceptive. Height isn't a problem in the way he plays.

Tackling is. He's got to learn to slide...something that I'm sure is a bit foreign to him. He's going to wreck his shoulders if he keeps running the way he does.

What's your knock on Yeremiah? I thought he was the best playmaker I had seen besides Zach and JT in years. Of course he didn't play that much. What's the knock?

ckparrothead said:
OL in the 1st round is a wildcard. We can talk all we want about Winston Justice being a great fit and possibly being there at #16...etc. But, do we know that Saban even feels from a philosophical standpoint that we need to be spending 1st round picks on OL? He may have gone out and bought Hudson Houck to avoid doing just that.

Guys we might not have talked about that are 2nd round possibilities at DT and CB. Hmmm. Well, Jason Allen is a possibility as a Safety or CB. Richard Marshall of Fresno St is a STRONG second round possibility at CB. You never know if Tye Hill is going to fall down that far, and I know Saban has interest there. Johnathon Joseph of South Carolina is a possibility at CB. On DL, Babatunde Oshinowo of Stanford is the strongest possibility. He played NT in Stanford's 3-4 technique...and as they say about Donnie Spragan, he's a Stanford guy so he can't be all that dumb ;)

I think Ray Edwards of Purdue is a possibility, lots of physical talent there. Claude Wroten has to be considered a very strong possibility. His drug charges got dropped quickly enough to sneak back into Round 2 and he'd be perfect here. Kyle Williams is another possibility but more likely a Round 3 guy.

Marshall was exactly who I had in mind. He seems to be the complete corner, with natural cover skills. I could be wrong but I believe I read some where that he lead Fresno State in tackles as a junior. If true, not only is he a ballhawk but also good in run support. I think it would be a steal if he's there at 51. I believe he's vastly underated and should be picked in the late first. So I a Broderick Bunkley/ Richard Marshall draft is a strong possibility? If so, I will be a very happy camper on draft day.

NPG said:
What's your knock on Yeremiah? I thought he was the best playmaker I had seen besides Zach and JT in years. Of course he didn't play that much. What's the knock?

I don't have to knock him to simply acknowledge that he's not quite playng starter caliber football yet. He's wildly athletic and can make occasional plays on the ball, but he's inconsistent in coverage and takes bad angles to the ball in tackling sometimes. He's one of the players I've seen (Tillman being another) that has taken a bad angle to the ball and not only knocked himself out of the play but knocked another defender out of it too.

Keith Traylor, Vonnie Holliday, David Bowens, Kevin Carter, Lance Schulters, Sam Madison, Travis Daniels, and even Channing Crowder were bigger and more consistent playmakers than Bell, IMO.

nick1 said:
what do you think of Reggie McNeal? he got a 4.35 in the 40 yard dash, is he comparable to Michael Vick? or is he also a good passer?

Nick, we've touched on the guy through the thread. Suffice to say he'll get a chance at QB, maybe as early as round 2, but in the long run he could play wideout, what with his size and speed combo.

Wait and See?

Do you think Saban will gamble on a QB and wait until the last minute to take whichever quality QB is left, or will he pick a guy and go after him? For instance, if he lets the teams desperate for a QB take Culpepper, Collins, Schaub and some draft picks, might we then be the only suitor for Ramsey or even Brees? If there is nobody to negotiate with, we probably wouldn't have to give up/pay that much for whoever is left.

rickeyrunsover said:
Hey Boom CK answered this but I would love your take on Brett Elliott.

To be honest mate, I'd be lying if I gave any sort of critique on him as I have never seen Linfield College play. He certainly played well under Urban Meyer for the brief time that he had the chance, but the broken wrist and the subsequent performances of Alex Smith precipitated his transfer. But I really am not in a position to talk through his skills.

Alex22 said:
Boomer I was wondering what you think the chances are that one of these three players are there at pick 16, are we looking at them, and in what order do you rate them

Michael Huff
Jimmy Williams
and
Cromartie

Alex, I'd go Huff, Cromartie, Williams. There is no way Huff will be there at 16. Both Cro and Williams are targeted by Atlanta as well, but that would be my 1,2,3.

Boomer, can you explain if this is good or bad for the Phins?

From John Clayton:

The Dolphins tabulated all the incentive bonuses that kicked in from their nine win season in 2005 and found out they will have a little less than $10 million removed from this year's cap. The Dolphins structured a lot of their incentives to a winning season. Nick Saban got hot at the end of the season and finished at 9-7.

Boomer said:
To be honest mate, I'd be lying if I gave any sort of critique on him as I have never seen Linfield College play. He certainly played well under Urban Meyer for the brief time that he had the chance, but the broken wrist and the subsequent performances of Alex Smith precipitated his transfer. But I really am not in a position to talk through his skills.

Yeah the only reason I can comment on Elliott is because I was one of the 5 people in the world that actually watched the Hula Bowl. LOL.

TXFinFan said:
Boomer, can you explain if this is good or bad for the Phins?

From John Clayton:

The Dolphins tabulated all the incentive bonuses that kicked in from their nine win season in 2005 and found out they will have a little less than $10 million removed from this year's cap. The Dolphins structured a lot of their incentives to a winning season. Nick Saban got hot at the end of the season and finished at 9-7.

I'm not sure what Clayton is insinuating. Does he mean that the Dolphins have $10 million more cap SPACE than we originally thought? Or does it mean we have $10 million more of incentives we have to book against the salary cap than we thought?

ckparrothead said:
Yeah the only reason I can comment on Elliott is because I was one of the 5 people in the world that actually watched the Hula Bowl. LOL.

I'm not sure what Clayton is insinuating. Does he mean that the Dolphins have $10 million more cap SPACE than we originally thought? Or does it mean we have $10 million more of incentives we have to book against the salary cap than we thought?

That's what I wanted to know. I hope Boomer can figure it out.

Ok guys, I love what you are doing, thanks a bunch.

Here's my question:

What is your take on Chris Leak? I'm a big UF fan and I'm wondering what you guys think of him, and how he'll translate in the NFL?

I see in an earlier post CK that you say you would take Alex Smith over Croyle. Why? I saw absoloutly nothing from Smith this year in the 4 or 5 games I watched of him to suggest that he will be good. I know he is a rookie, but he was dreadful.
Do you pick Smith over Croyle because you see nothing in Croyle or because you see something in Smith?

tylerdolphin said:
I see in an earlier post CK that you say you would take Alex Smith over Croyle. Why? I saw absoloutly nothing from Smith this year in the 4 or 5 games I watched of him to suggest that he will be good. I know he is a rookie, but he was dreadful.
Do you pick Smith over Croyle because you see nothing in Croyle or because you see something in Smith?

Simple as that, Alex Smith was a rookie. Carson Palmer was not good at all in 2004. There have been plenty of guys that have been terrible as rookies but who turned out to be good pros.

Back
Top Bottom