merged: Clayton or Duper/Duper and Clayton | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

merged: Clayton or Duper/Duper and Clayton

Who was better, Mark Clayon or Mark Duper?

• Mark Clayton

Votes: 64 84.2%
  • Mark Duper

Votes: 12 15.8%

• Total voters
Finfan86 said:
I am young so i dont remember them playing but alot of people on here talk about Mark Duper and Mark Clayton. Which one was better overall?
I think Clayton was the most athlectic.. For his size he had a tremendous leap, while Duper had blazing speed. They probably were the most prolific receiving duo in the 80's.

claytonAndDuper said:
and another game against chicago where he made a sliding catch in the snow on an underthrown ball to setup the game winning field goal. dont remember the year of that one, but i love those guys.

Oh man I remember that catch in the snow. That was awesome, not that it mattered because the DB got called for PI.

Great memory! Thanks.

I think they were about the same but I give a slight edge to Clayton...he was the first Dolphin jersey I owned. :)

I wish we had them both back now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KostaTheGreek said:
Well if we play our cards right and everything falls into place...Chambers is the burner and Booker is the one that can catch everything (Well so can chris) now all we need to do is get them the ball...its on u feeley...

KTG, that avatar is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Clayton had great hands and was an incredible leaper. He was only 5'9", but he played like he was 6' 2". He could outjump anybody in the secondary.

How good would Marvin Harrison be without Manning?
This is like a chicken vs the egg argument. I say Marino made them better and vice versa.
Kirwan was referring to guys like Mark Ingram

Finfan86 said:
I am young so i dont remember them playing but alot of people on here talk about Mark Duper and Mark Clayton. Which one was better overall?

They were both really good. If I had to say one it would have to be Clayton, but I dont think either would have been as good with out the other. they were just brill together. If you never seen em with dan and nat then you missed out on something special--real special

claytonAndDuper said:
they are my earliest memories of the dolphins. i remember dupers tiny facemask and deep balls. and clayton catching everything. the mondaynite pass that was tipped and fell into his hands to help beat the bears when they were undefeated in 85. and another game against chicago where he made a sliding catch in the snow on an underthrown ball to setup the game winning field goal. dont remember the year of that one, but i love those guys. i think they both helped each other, im thinking marino helped the likes of a tony martin fred banks and oj more tha clayton and duper

That was in 1991 16-13 Win over the Bears in overtime played in the snow at Soldier's field..After the game Shula said it was one of the greatest catches he ever saw.

Clayton was a greater clutch receiver than Duper but Duper would burn you with his speed and was around in Marino's rookie season to help him show of Danny's passing skills.Lost in the shuffle was Nat Moore who was another money player and one of my favorites too.

BTW we will have that game complete with the Shula interview on the torrents shortly.

thanks for the specifics, i was to young to remember anymore about the bears game, i just remember the sliding catch in the snow. they were both the damn men

saw all their games - it really is hard to pick one over the other - they are both so synonymous with each other - my personal fave was clayton because of the attitude - kinda like picking david lee over sammy

KB21 said:
The interesting thing is, I don't believe either one would have been that great without Marino. Nothing against them, but I believe their success had a lot to do with Marino.

Maybe, but Marino never looked as good without them. Over the long run i'd have to go with Clayton as the better all around receiver. Although for about a four year period between 1983 and 87 there wasn't a better deep threat in the NFL than Duper. I remember one season when Duper was injured, broken leg I think, and he came back about mid-season. The team was floundering around 4-4, then Duper come back and in the first game back he lights up the Jets for about 200 yards and a couple of long TD's. Duper stretched the field so that Clayton, Nat Moore, Tony Nathan, Bruce Hardy, Joe Rose, and Jim Jensen could work underneath. Duper was the guy who made the whole thing go. He was very good at beating the bump at the line of scrimmage.

Back
Top Bottom