merged: Clayton or Duper/Duper and Clayton | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

merged: Clayton or Duper/Duper and Clayton

Who was better, Mark Clayon or Mark Duper?

• Mark Clayton

Votes: 64 84.2%
  • Mark Duper

Votes: 12 15.8%

• Total voters

scottieUK

Starter
Reaction score
Duper and Clayton

Just read an interesting article by Pat Kirwan on NFL.com. The article is about players holding out. He mentions receivers who think they are indispensible but beleives it is more about the quality of the quaterback, ` Dan Marino made a lot of average receivers look pretty good....`

Do you think he was refering to Duper and Clayton? I was only in my early teens when I watched them and my memory is not what it was! Did Marino make them look good or were they good on their own merits? How many Pro Bowls did they both go to? What do you think?

they are my earliest memories of the dolphins. i remember dupers tiny facemask and deep balls. and clayton catching everything. the mondaynite pass that was tipped and fell into his hands to help beat the bears when they were undefeated in 85. and another game against chicago where he made a sliding catch in the snow on an underthrown ball to setup the game winning field goal. dont remember the year of that one, but i love those guys. i think they both helped each other, im thinking marino helped the likes of a tony martin fred banks and oj more tha clayton and duper

He wasn't referring to Duper and Clayton, those guys were beasts. He may may been referring to the WR's after those guys as they weren't as talented as D and C.

Duper and especially Clayton were playmakers... Duper could stretch the field and Clayton played with an enormous chip on his shoulder.... they were stars in their own right but fortunate to have DM at QB no question..... Clayton was the only guy I ever saw that gave lip to DM... he wanted the ball.... Clayton would tell DM to his face that he made Dan look good... they were both fierce competitors.....

Duper had world class speed. If I remember right, he ran the anchor for a collegiate 4x100M relay team that set the NCAA record. His speed allowed him to get open on all kinds of routes. As a receiver, I think he was good, but his speed was his best skill. Clayton had very good speed, but he had better moves than Duper, better hands, and was better after the catch. And to me, no one was tougher than Clayton. He wanted TDs. If he had the ball inside the 5, he would fight, and battle, until he overpowered the defender and got the TD. That's impressive for a guy who was 175 lbs.

Clayton or Duper

I am young so i dont remember them playing but alot of people on here talk about Mark Duper and Mark Clayton. Which one was better overall?

Iam 39 years old and let me tell you thoose 2 guys were the best .sure DAN helped make them better he would make any receiver better.The marks BROTHERS came to play every game.I remember games against the looser jets when the scores were 45 to something,and the MARKS BROTHERS were a big part of that.We never have a duo that great again. GO PHINS

Wow. tough to choose one over the other. Clayton eventually became the goto guy over the years - but Duper was the guy that first made Marino BIG, and was one of the ultimate big play threats in the legaue.

Ultimately, I'd go with Claytons productivity over Dupers flare. But both were class players and all time Phins.

:cooldude:
mrbman013 said:
Iam 39 years old and let me tell you thoose 2 guys were the best .sure DAN helped make them better he would make any receiver better.The marks BROTHERS came to play every game.I remember games against the looser jets when the scores were 45 to something,and the MARKS BROTHERS were a big part of that.We never have a duo that great again. GO PHINS

Well if we play our cards right and everything falls into place...Chambers is the burner and Booker is the one that can catch everything (Well so can chris) now all we need to do is get them the ball...its on u feeley...

Duper was fast but if the ball was anywhere near Clayton, it was his. He would jump and fight for it much more than Duper would. But, hit Duper in the open and he was gone.

My Vote: Clayton - Much more exciting to watch. It just seemed like he wanted the ball more.

I always thought of them as the same. It never occured to me that one was better than the other. :lol:

Even their numbers are close. Duper was the deep threat more or less, the one to stretch the field and Clayton was the one you went to when you needed a first down. But in many ways they were interchangable.
Clayton caught 550 and Duper caught 511. Duper had 8869 yards and 17.4 per catch, and Clayton had 8643 yards and 15.7 per catch. Clayton had 81 TDs and Duper had 59. Clayton had a string of 92 consecutive games with a reception, while Duper's longest such string was 43. Duper though had 28 career games with 100 yards receiving while Clayton had 22.
Clayton had 9276 career total yards (rushing/receiving/returns) while Duper had 8859.

They were both a great and a great pair together, but if one had to split hairs and say one was better, I'd say slightly Clayton.

The interesting thing is, I don't believe either one would have been that great without Marino. Nothing against them, but I believe their success had a lot to do with Marino.

Back
Top Bottom