Merged: Cold Pizza/Saban to bring in veteran QB | Page 28 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Cold Pizza/Saban to bring in veteran QB

I'm not surprised that this wasn't true. The implication that he told Gus that had so many other meanings attached to it that I don't see it being plausable... I am less than surprised it wasn't true..

I thought the Cold Pizza report was all BS in the first place...it's just seemed to early to me for a decision like that to be made. And it's not like Nick Saban to let something private like that slip to the media. So whoever told Cold Pizza is just trying to create controversy. I still think Gus will start this year.

death7star said:
GUS STILL SUCKS.

if gus starts here comes anouth so so year.

Your insight is always cherished.
It's always the same broken record.

Yes Gus is no superstar but the fact still remains that while I'm sure that Saban will attempt to upgrade the position, there may not be an upgrade that is attainable for next year.

Trekbiz said:

Yes Gus is no superstar but the fact still remains that while I'm sure that Saban will attempt to upgrade the position, there may not be an upgrade that is attainable for next year.

Unfortunatly, that is the truth... There just might not be an available upgrade. However, even if there isnt, people will call for Saban's head just because an upgrade wasnt made. And the fact that there wasnt a rational available upgrade will be irrelevent to them... :shakeno:

Of course the Cold Pizza report was wrong.

We know our own coach by now. He would never reveal his hand, to anyone, before all the chips were on the table.

The fact is, even if saban were to bring in a veteran, he would give Gus a chance to compete with whoever he brought in. Not flat out deny him a starting position.

Saban would never make such a decision before having everything in place for a new QB. Which means he had already spoken with the veteran QB, had papers signed, and was so confident in the abilities of said quarterback that he would toss out his starting qb of last year (who he never pulled from a game except for injury) for the off chance that this guy was our next Marino.

Besides, Cold Pizza is not the most respected or best informed sports news source out there. Not even close.

Not surprised at all.

There will definitely be upgrades at QB available. The question is at what price. We'll have to see how the market plays out. We have one advantage that some other teams might not have. Free Agent QBs will be competing against Gus or Sage or Cleo for the starting spot instead of McNabb, Vick or Palmer.

Hmm, I don't know. If we can't land a top veteran QB then there's no sense in bringing in the likes of Kitna, Batch, Warner, or Garcia because Frerotte performed just as well as they would.

?

Kitna is not much better than a lateral move...

But Warner, Garcia and Batch all have better career numbers and Warner and Batch both had better years than Gus. Garcia didn't but he was in Detroit.

Did you know that Warner threw for only 200 yards less than Gus in only TEN GAMES???

Warner is a massive upgrade, it's not remotely close. Garcia and Batch are definite upgrades.

What on earth leads you to believe that Gus "performed just as well..."??? That's impossible to justify in Warner's case, at the bare minimum.

Trekbiz said:

I guess its possible that the twenty seven qb's rated ahead of him are not free agents or attainable.

Nasty said:
Unfortunatly, that is the truth... There just might not be an available upgrade. However, even if there isnt, people will call for Saban's head just because an upgrade wasnt made. And the fact that there wasnt a rational available upgrade will be irrelevent to them... :shakeno:

There are upgrades available. I love the people that dont think Kerry Collins would be an upgrade. If Frerotte is better or equal to Kerry than how come no other teams signed or traded for Frerotte. I mean even Dilfer got traded for a pick. There are not many starting Qb's worse than Gus and that is a fact.

dlockz said:
There are upgrades available. I love the people that dont think Kerry Collins would be an upgrade. If Frerotte is better or equal to Kerry than how come no other teams signed or traded for Frerotte. I mean even Dilfer got traded for a pick. There are not many starting Qb's worse than Gus and that is a fact.

Bro... I didnt say upgrades wont be available. All I said, is that opportunities might not present themselves. Things may not go as planned. I DESPERATLY want a good QB next year, but I wont "abandon ship" if we dont...

However, I definatly disagree with you about Kerry Collins. He got benched this year for Marques Tuiasosopo even though he was surrounded by lots of talent... Moss (although injured), Jerry Porter, Doug Gabriel (and underrated #3 WR), along with Lamont Jordon for an RB.

I would put Kerry Collins on the same level as Gus. But, since he needs to learn and adjust to a new system... IMO, he is a downgrade because he will undoubtably struggle while learing it...

People that don't think there is a better FA out there than Gus are delusional. Gus is one of the worst starters in the league, easily. Hes easily replaceable, the chicken littles that act like losing Gus would hurt this team are nuts. I hope Gus retires, I couldnt care less if he comes back as a starter or backup. Backup is alright, Gus can play a few games and not destroy the team but he is a dud as a starter. Im glad Saban knows what he is doing, some of you wouldnt honestly just start Gus next year, thats accepting complete mediocrity, and thats not acceptable.

Rocky Raccoon said:
I thought the Cold Pizza report was all BS in the first place...it's just seemed to early to me for a decision like that to be made. And it's not like Nick Saban to let something private like that slip to the media. So whoever told Cold Pizza is just trying to create controversy. I still think Gus will start this year.

yeah I shoulda trusted my instincts on this one too. But I didnt. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Back
Top Bottom