MERGED: College Football Legend Joe Paterno dies at 85 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: College Football Legend Joe Paterno dies at 85

Joe Paterno is not dead. Sports media with reports and sources on all topics (Fisher, McCoy, Philbin, Paterno, etc.) has been horrible these past few months.

Joe Paterno just died-R.I.P.

I know it has nothing to do with the Phins but I figure I would pass the news, Joe Paterno died only a few minutes ago, no matter what we think about the whole Sandusky thing, the guy was still a legend.

It's truly sad that some folk just can not keep there goddamn mouths shut if they don't like someone, I mean have a bit of respect. I hate Nick Saban but I don't want to see the man die. This scandal and exit truly killed the man, he gave up his will to live and passed on.

I have personally met the man and he was every bit as gracious to a young backwoods kid with almost nothing growing up as he was to one of his family. The man was a great man, I could careless about Sandusky in my opinion he deserved the death, not Joe.

Rest in piece Joe, you were a great man and will be missed.

The world lost one of the classiest men ever to walk this planet. He did so much for Penn State, the state of Pennsylvania and college football and he will be remembered as a legend. The best coach in college football history is now off to a better place. He will be greatly missed by everyone.

Many of the comments here are completely out of order. As has become clearer in recent weeks, Paterno did not get a graphic description of what happened and correctly reported what he did know to his superiors. His recent comment that he did not follow up because he was worried that he would be seen to be interfering on behalf of Sandusky rings true. Can you imagine the fuss if it became clear that Paterno DID follow up with his superiors and nothing was done - he would have been accused of using undue influence to hush the whole thing up. In fact, I think that reporting the matter to very senior personnel and then refusing to get involved in judging a situation where he had an obvious conflict of interest (e.g. his longterm relationship with Sandusky) was a perfectly reasonable approach.

Paterno and his family will be in my thoughts. And I can assure you that he will be remembered just as much for his great achievements than a difficult situation which is very easy to second guess with the benefit of hindsight.

You're saying it was better he didn't follow-up b/c of a scenario that didn't happen? I don't see how that's any better

It's truly sad that some folk just can not keep there goddamn mouths shut if they don't like someone, I mean have a bit of respect. I hate Nick Saban but I don't want to see the man die. This scandal and exit truly killed the man, he gave up his will to live and passed on.

I have personally met the man and he was every bit as gracious to a young backwoods kid with almost nothing growing up as he was to one of his family. The man was a great man, I could careless about Sandusky in my opinion he deserved the death, not Joe.

Rest in piece Joe, you were a great man and will be missed.

I agree

I will not pile on the man..and will try to respect the good JoePa did..I'm sure it was enormous...but after saying that .I think it's best that
JoePa has passed on..because now after the trials about the scandel go on,and even more crap comes out ..Joe will not be around to be further harassed
about the events that he didn't know about or should have known about.
The scandel WILL define his legacy to alot people...I'm one of those...I used to put JoePA just a tad under Bear Bryant....the scandel has changed that opinon.
So..."greatist college coach" ...no...I'll try not to disrespect JoePa... so don't disrespect Bear Bryant by putting them in the same class.
History will separate their legacies.
That's all I'll say on Joe Pa's passing...It has been a sad ending to a career that should have gone down as one of the finest.

Namor just put it best. I won't disrespect Coach Paterno at this time, but don't disrespect Paul W. Bryant by putting them in the same class. They're not.

Paterno took entirely too much heat for all this because a face and a name in a position of authority that the public knew had to be held accountable. But the reality is, there's nothing more Paterno could've done to save any of those kids from Sandusky. Everybody up there already knew Sandusky was a child rapist, including the Attorney General's office and law enforcement. They are the one's that never did anything about it.

What the hell was a football coach supposed to do? Paterno knew much less about Sandusky and his disgusting taste for children than law enforcement did. Furthermore, it was brought to his attention much, much later. It's the politicians that allowed Sandusky to continue molesting kids, not Coach Paterno.

Paterno should've made it more of a priority once it was brought to his attention, but locking up child molesters isn't his job.

Regardless of how anyone feels about Joe Paterno's lack of action, the Paterno family doesn't deserve to have their names drug through this. Honor the family at the very least and show some respect.

Rest in peace coach.

Back
Top Bottom