MERGED: College Football Legend Joe Paterno dies at 85 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: College Football Legend Joe Paterno dies at 85

Namor just put it best. I won't disrespect Coach Paterno at this time, but don't disrespect Paul W. Bryant by putting them in the same class. They're not.Paterno took entirely too much heat for all this because a face and a name in a position of authority that the public knew had to be held accountable. But the reality is, there's nothing more Paterno could've done to save any of those kids from Sandusky. Everybody up there already knew Sandusky was a child rapist, including the Attorney General's office and law enforcement. They are the one's that never did anything about it.What the hell was a football coach supposed to do? Paterno knew much less about Sandusky and his disgusting taste for children than law enforcement did. Furthermore, it was brought to his attention much, much later. It's the politicians that allowed Sandusky to continue molesting kids, not Coach Paterno.Paterno should've made it more of a priority once it was brought to his attention, but locking up child molesters isn't his job. Regardless of how anyone feels about Joe Paterno's lack of action, the Paterno family doesn't deserve to have their names drug through this. Honor the family at the very least and show some respect.Rest in peace coach.
Shocking you dont think anyone belongs in the same class as Bear Bryant. You're opinion is so slanted its not funny. Do you ever think anything is better, or even on the same level as anything from Alabama?

Shocking you dont think anyone belongs in the same class as Bear Bryant. You're opinion is so slanted its not funny. Do you ever think anything is better, or even on the same level as anything from Alabama?

For what it's worth, Nick Saban is the greatest of all-time.

Joe should have retired years ago. I understand why he didn't, but he should have. He's no different than a guy like Bobby Knight. The game changed on these guys and they couldn't adjust fast enough or just didn't want to. I know Bobby Knight didn't want to. He publicly stated that he wouldn't recruit any kid who was one and done. Hurt his career late IMO.

Ok...this post did it..Ted was pretty easy going and more complimentry toward that spineless,senile figurehead of a coach that passed today.
Please tell me how that former coach of NAMBLA U...is even on the same plane as a human being as Bear Bryant,muchless as a coach.
That post is just idiotic....oh yea..Good job Nubs..thanking him for it..glad our mods here don't show personal bias.
Joe Paterno HAS left a mark on college football....to bad it's part of the most shameful,disgusting scandal in football HISTORY.
No matter how you sugar coat things with all these so called political correct accolades people are giving Joe...You know what people are really feeling about him......just sad disgust..plain and simple.....

You know, I was as hard on JoePa as anyone when the scandal came out, and I still hold him accountable for what he didnt do. That being said, it seems really unfair that an entire lifetimes worth of good can be erased by one poor choice. It was a poor choice and IMO he deserved to be fired, but there were lots of people more responsible for the mess than Paterno. I dont think that his entire legacy should be forgotten because of this one scandal that he wasnt even the biggest player in.

Now this is absolutely 100% true...but it will not be the case. Any time the name Joe Paterno is brought up, not far behind will be the name Sandusky or the phrase scandal. It's just what people remember. People love negative things. It's why your local news almost always leads off with something negative.

"Murder here..." "Car Jacking over by..." "Shooting at..." "Car accident on..." "White people are scared...find out why at 11:00."

People thrive on it.

And now Westboro is gonna picket the funeral. We can only hope they get the treatment they allegedly got a couple years back when they tried to picket a soldier's funeral in Oxford, Mississippi.

And now Westboro is gonna picket the funeral. We can only hope they get the treatment they allegedly got a couple years back when they tried to picket a soldier's funeral in Oxford, Mississippi.

Given the nature of Penn State students and their fans, this could become very violent, very quickly.

And I hope it does.

Coach Paterno isn't in Bear Bryant's class. Period. It has nothing to do with slanted opinion, as that would insinuate that the subject is debateable.

I admit that I'd be interested to see the case you're willing to make on behalf of Paterno.

Ok...this post did it..Ted was pretty easy going and more complimentry toward that spineless,senile figurehead of a coach that passed today.
Please tell me how that former coach of NAMBLA U...is even on the same plane as a human being as Bear Bryant,muchless as a coach.
That post is just idiotic....oh yea..Good job Nubs..thanking him for it..glad our mods here don't show personal bias.
Joe Paterno HAS left a mark on college football....to bad it's part of the most shameful,disgusting scandal in football HISTORY.
No matter how you sugar coat things with all these so called political correct accolades people are giving Joe...You know what people are really feeling about him......just sad disgust..plain and simple.....

Everyone is personally bias, it is called an opinion. This post above is your opinion and maybe in the back wood of the south it widely accepted but farther north people truly believe it is a tragedy and are saddened, even the people who are of the opinion that Joe should have done more are sullen.

I met JoePa several times and respected him, legacy and goodwill aside, Bear was feeding the worms by the time I was old enough to know who the hell he was. Kinda like you wouldn't be very saddened by my demise the beautiful thing is it would not affect me one bit, just like your opinion of Joe doesn't affect him, what it does affect however is how we are viewed by our piers and the public.

:bobdole:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bear Bryant would not have overlooked what Joe overlooked. I'd be the first up to T-Town to kick Bear's statue down,if something this
vile happened on his watch.

WE ARE PERV STATE!!!!!

How do you know it didn't? Things where different back then, just because you hold a position of high rank doesn't mean you know 100% what is going on with all your underlings it also doesn't mean you are guilty if you don't. That thing called trust, is based on character, we all get duped from time to time even the great ones.

Alligations can be made against anyone at any given time:

[h=1]FBI tracked Alabama football in 'Bear' Bryant era, documents show

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Forty years ago, Alabama football fans watched Southern California and a black running back named Sam Cunningham trounce coach Paul "Bear" Bryant's Crimson Tide in a game widely credited with helping start the integration of Southern football.

Fans weren't the only ones watching Alabama football back then. The FBI, apparently with the approval of then-director J. Edgar Hoover, was secretly keeping an eye on a civil rights lawsuit filed by blacks against the legendary coach during the same period.

Documents released to The Associated Press under the Freedom of Information Act show that for almost two years, agents tracked the suit filed by a prominent black lawyer against Bryant, the University of Alabama and others to make Bryant recruit black football players. Building a file, agents followed the court docket and snipped stories from newspapers about the case, sending the findings to the agency's office responsible for investigating civil rights crimes.

http://blog.al.com/wire/2010/08/fbi_alabama_football_bear_bryant.html
[/h]

Bear could have done more!

I said in my first post,I wouldn't pile on the old man unless stupid posts started poping up comparing him to Bear Bryant.
It's all fair game now.
Say all your little back woods jokes you want to...NOTHING compares to what has happened at NAMBLA U.
You have a friend for 32 years...you know all about him...don't act like JOE was stupid...He helped overlook
the acts to save Penn. St...Joe isn't alone,there are others in the Penn St higher ups that helped sweep this under the rug.
They are just as guilty as Sandusky...Sugercoat it all you want to.....

How do you know it didn't? Things where different back then, just because you hold a position of high rank doesn't mean you know 100% what is going on with all your underlings it also doesn't mean you are guilty if you don't. That thing called trust, is based on character, we all get duped from time to time even the great ones.

In 1971 Bear Byrant threatened the Alabama Board of Trustees he would quit if African-Americans were not allowed to be recruited .
This was at a time when George Wallace was Gov. of Alabama in a dark time of Alabama politics and just stupidity....I lived through those times.
Now...compare that to overlooking the violent raping of children.

Nowhere near the same thing. Bear Bryant wasn't allowed to recruit black players, he wasn't allowed to have them on his football team. He knew what he was doing when he scheduled USC to play Bama in Alabama. It was to give the politicians and the pro-segregation University uptights a wake up call. He knew USC was going to hammer his Bama team made up of all white players, and knew the direction in which college football was moving.

Bear Bryant is the reason Alabama de-segregated.

Furthermore, raping children has at no point in history been acceptable by society... unlike segregation, which was simply a way of life.

PS_0397_ALABAMA_t-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom