[MERGED] Compensatory Picks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[MERGED] Compensatory Picks

bullseyeguy

Heart of A Champion
Reaction score
So far its looking like we could get a couple picks next year, but I dont think we will be getting anything this year..Anyways, I found some great info on comp picks, and am hoping we can start to swing a few more our way in the next few years....

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=184588

Over the past 10 years, the teams that had the most compensatory picks were the Packers, Cowboys, Ravens, Rams, Eagles, Patriots, Bucs, Jaguars, Bears, Steelers and Titans. Only two of those 11 teams -- the Cowboys and Jaguars -- failed to reach the Super Bowl during that stretch.
Basically all teams that are part of historically good franchises.

In the same time frame, the teams with the fewest compensatory picks were the Browns, Texans, Jets, Bengals, Panthers, Falcons, Redskins, Chargers, Colts and Saints. Only two of those teams -- the Panthers and Colts -- played in a Super Bowl in that period.
Conversely, most of these teams are historically bad franchises.

I found it to be amazing, that a handful of extra late round picks could make such a difference in a teams success...Teams that understand how to work the system are obviously giving their teams a better chance to win, this clearly shows that..

The thing that concerns me, is that the 2 teams our figure heads have been affiliated with in the past, are both on the lower end of the comp pick ladder....

BTW, the "all comp pick team" is made up of some amazing players....

Offense-
QB: Tom Brady, Patriots, sixth round, 2000
RB: Chester Taylor, Ravens, sixth round, 2002
FB: Ovie Mughelli, Ravens, fourth round, 2003
WR: Troy Walters, Vikings, fifth round, 2000
WR: Marques Colston, Saints, seventh round, 2006
TE: Jay Riemersma, Bills, seventh round, 1996
OT: Jonas Jennings, Bills, third round, 2001
OT: Kevin Schaffer, Falcons, seventh round, 2002
G: Marco Rivera, Packers, sixth round, 1996
G: Nick Kaczur, Patriots, third round, 2005
C: Scott Wells, Packers, seventh round, 2004

Defense-
DE: Bryce Fisher, Bills, seventh round, 1999
DE: Bobby McCray, Jaguars, seventh round, 2004
DT: La'Roi Glover, Raiders, fifth round, 1996
DT: Orpheus Roye, Steelers, sixth round, 1996
OLB: Mike Vrabel, Steelers, third round, 1997
MLB: Peter Sirmon, Titans, fourth round, 2000
OLB: LeRoy Hill, Seahawks, third round, 2005
S: Marlon McCree, Jaguars, seventh round, 2001
S: Yeremiah Bell, Dolphins, sixth round, 2003
CB: Tyrone Williams, Packers, third round, 1996
CB: Domonique Foxworth, Broncos, third round, 2005

Nice work. I think we'll get a decent comp pick next year. anything higher than a 6th rounder would be amazing.

Kevin Carter, Randy McMichael, Seth McKinney, Jeno James, Bennie Anderson and Joey Harrington were all cut, not free agents. So we get nothing for them. Same thing if Mare gets cut or traded. Welker was traded as well, so nothing for him, other than the picks we received in the trade.

That leaves only Zgonina, Morris, Minor, and McIntosh as players of "value" used in the formula to see if we get any compensatory picks. However, only McIntosh was really a starter type, so all their "value" could be offset by the "value" of the additions of Porter, Feely, Martin, and Schlesinger (and anyone else we may sign). So the Dolphins may get nothing.

From what I understand, Porter wont count against us as he was a cap cut...

And what about Barnes and Fonoti. And if Jacox, Spragan, Bowens or Tillman sign elsewhere...I also think you are undervaluing Zgonina and Morris...

compensatory picks for next season?

Seems like alot of our players were signed by other teams and we have not signed to many free agents. Does anyone know if we are in line to receive some compensatory picks in next years draft?

Im pretty sure this year we dont have any, Im wondering about next year.

Guys..for 1837846758439679437639464294th time...Nobody knows exacly how NFL calculates pics...therefor, we prbly wont know till next year.

the calculation is based on how big the contract, how much playtime and also on the player who replaced that position.too many things to calculate.

It is a closely gaurded secret all the details that go in to the formula to arward comp picks. really only way to know would be next year when the NFL awards some. Sorry cany help but that is one of their top secret things.

From what I understand, Porter wont count against us as he was a cap cut...

And what about Barnes and Fonoti. And if Jacox, Spragan, Bowens or Tillman sign elsewhere...I also think you are undervaluing Zgonina and Morris...

I was wrong . . .

"In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of 31 picks dispersed at the ends of Rounds 3-7. These picks, which are known as "Compensatory Picks" are awarded to teams who have lost more talented players than they gained the previous year in Free Agency. These picks do not account for released players or signing players cut by another team."
- WikiPedia

"In order to qualify for the comp equation, a player must have been a true Unrestricted Free Agent whose contract had expired or was voided after the previous season (i.e., he cannot have been released by his old team); he must sign during the UFA signing period (which ended on July 22 last year); if he signs after June 1, he must have been tendered a June 1 qualifying offer by his old team; he must sign for at least a certain amount of money per season; and he cannot have been permanently released by his new team before a certain point in the season (which seems to be after Week 10) or, possibly, before getting a certain amount of playing time, unless he was claimed off waivers by another team."

Back
Top Bottom