[MERGED] Compensatory Picks | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[MERGED] Compensatory Picks

I was wrong . . .

"In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of 31 picks dispersed at the ends of Rounds 3-7. These picks, which are known as "Compensatory Picks" are awarded to teams who have lost more talented players than they gained the previous year in Free Agency. These picks do not account for released players or signing players cut by another team."
- WikiPedia

"In order to qualify for the comp equation, a player must have been a true Unrestricted Free Agent whose contract had expired or was voided after the previous season (i.e., he cannot have been released by his old team); he must sign during the UFA signing period (which ended on July 22 last year); if he signs after June 1, he must have been tendered a June 1 qualifying offer by his old team; he must sign for at least a certain amount of money per season; and he cannot have been permanently released by his new team before a certain point in the season (which seems to be after Week 10) or, possibly, before getting a certain amount of playing time, unless he was claimed off waivers by another team."
I was just about to come in and post this, but you changed your post and posted it for me...lol, thanks...:tongue:

good post too i was wondering what compensatory picks were i was not familiar with the term

Ok..with all the above sayed..
...are we geting ne thing next year?

Ok..with all the above sayed..
...are we geting ne thing next year?
Thats not an easy question to answer, especially at this point in time...There are a lot of variables, and no one realy knows the formula...

I can say, that if we dont sign any UFAs, and a couple other of our guys sugn elsewhere we will most likely get something...I personally think we are in line for atleast one where we stand, but I know nothing...

It seems though that this will be our best chance to get a pick or two in the last couple years, in fact the last time we got a comp pick was 5 years ago in 2002, we got a fifth rounder...Heres what we lost and gained that year...

MIAMI Lost: Trace Armstrong, Kevin Donnalley, Rich Owens, Terrance Shaw, Richmond Webb

Signed: James McKnight, Todd Perry, Marcus Spriggs, Dedric Ward

Kevin Carter, Randy McMichael, Seth McKinney, Jeno James, Bennie Anderson and Joey Harrington were all cut, not free agents. So we get nothing for them. Same thing if Mare gets cut or traded. Welker was traded as well, so nothing for him, other than the picks we received in the trade.

That leaves only Zgonina, Morris, Minor, and McIntosh as players of "value" used in the formula to see if we get any compensatory picks. However, only McIntosh was really a starter type, so all their "value" could be offset by the "value" of the additions of Porter, Feely, Martin, and Schlesinger (and anyone else we may sign). So the Dolphins may get nothing.

Signing Porter doesn't count since he was a cap cut.
Right now, we are 4 signed and 6 lost, so a minus 2, but we need to wait for free agency to finish before we'll have a good idea whether or not we'll be due comp picks next year.
We've signed Martin, Feely, Worrell and Schlesinger. We've lost Morris, Minor, Barnes, Fonoti, Zgonina and McIntosh.

I found it to be amazing, that a handful of extra late round picks could make such a difference in a teams success...Teams that understand how to work the system are obviously giving their teams a better chance to win, this clearly shows that..
There is a difference between causation and correlation. You don't know that the compensatory picks are the reason for the success of the teams you listed. Could it be that the teams with compensatory picks don't sign a ton of free agents, they let their FA's go, they build through the draft? The compensatory draft picks can't hurt but I wouldn't give the credit of success to the compensatory picks themselves, but instead that compensatory picks are indiciative of a sound strategy of building teams.

We lost to free agency:
Bowens,Spragan,Tillman,Zgonina,Lehan,Jackson,Fonoti,Jacox,Morris,Minor,
Barnes,MacIntosh. That's 12 and I probably missed a couple. And we signed Sledge,Feely, and Martin. That's 3 because Porter doesn't count.

We could also lose Bell,Lemon, or Jones.

How could we possibly not get at least one compensatory pick??

We lost to free agency:
Bowens,Spragan,Tillman,Zgonina,Lehan,Jackson,Fonoti,Jacox,Morris,Minor,
Barnes,MacIntosh. That's 12 and I probably missed a couple. And we signed Sledge,Feely, and Martin. That's 3 because Porter doesn't count.

We could also lose Bell,Lemon, or Jones.

How could we possibly not get at least one compensatory pick??
Do the people we lost count as "lost" if they haven't signed anywhere else? For instance, you've listed Bowens, but he hasn't signed anywhere and could actually potentially come back. But for sake of argument, if he doesn't sign anywhere at all this year, does he go in the net loss column?

(The question is for anyone who may know the answer, not just to Elliot.)

you dont get credit for guys you cut, only unrestricted FA's. And no one has really signed any of our UFA's.

your only allowed 4 comp picks per draft and nothing better than a low third rounder

Do the people we lost count as "lost" if they haven't signed anywhere else? For instance, you've listed Bowens, but he hasn't signed anywhere and could actually potentially come back. But for sake of argument, if he doesn't sign anywhere at all this year, does he go in the net loss column?

(The question is for anyone who may know the answer, not just to Elliot.)
They only count if they are signed by another team.

you dont get credit for guys you cut, only unrestricted FA's. And no one has really signed any of our UFA's.
If you had read any of the posts in this thread, you would have seen that teams have signed away some of our UFAs...I'm not going to list them again, just go back to page 1 to find the info...

If you had read any of the posts in this thread, you would have seen that teams have signed away some of our UFAs...I'm not going to list them again, just go back to page 1 to find the info...

The vast majority of our UFA's have resigned with other teams

Back
Top Bottom