[MERGED] Compensatory Picks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[MERGED] Compensatory Picks

I'm not sure how it works..you get those picks if more people leave in the offseason then come..something like that...
Even though i might be completely wrong.

The last few years they were announced towards the end of March.

That question is right up there with "is there a life after death?" and "how do you become a Jets fan" - nobody knows. The simple truth is that nobody has any clue as to how the formula which is used to determine the compensatory selection works; apart from the guys employing it of course. The story has it that Tom Heckert once tried to figure it out with a couple of guys of his FO and they couldn't.

Basically it amounts to losing more productive players in FA than acquiring. What constitutes production, however, is the big question that no one around here will be able to answer.

We will not get any compensatory picks because we did not lose any major free agents. We cut all of our good players so we dont get anything for them.

Its based on what we did last year.

And this was our group.

2007 UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: DTs Keith Traylor and Jeff Zgonina; DE David Bowens; LBs Donnie Spragan and Keith Adams; S Travares Tillman; OLs Damion McIntosh, OL Toniu Fonoti and Kendul Jacox; RBs Sammy Morris and Travis Minor; FB Darian Barnes; CB Michael Lehan; QB Shane Matthews.

Some stayed but even if they left, not quite a group to get "compensated" for.

We will not get any compensatory picks because we did not lose any major free agents. We cut all of our good players so we dont get anything for them.

That's not entirely true. We lost McIntosh who started 15 games for Kansas City. Sammy Morris also had a rather productive season in New England until he was injured.

We should get one for losing more UFA's then we signed, and another pick at the end of the seventh to replace the pick the Patriots forfeited. The CBA stipulates a certain number of picks (256. 7 rounds plus 32 compensatory picks) must be made. When giving picks to get to that number they go in order of the draft, meaning we are first on line.

With all these signings, we have no chance at compensatory picks next year.

Vs our signing of Porter. I guess we dont get anything :( probably. Maybe they will throw us a bone for the single win lol

We will get compensatory picks this year, for once. We may get like a 5th for Damion McIntosh who started almost every game in KC. Lower round picks for guys like Travis Minor, Sammy Morris and maybe a few others.

I posted this once before:

Below is information on the process of distributing compensatory picks.

"In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of up to 32 picks dispersed at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.
If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft

We are one of 14 teams to sign fewer UFA's than we signed. I believe the biggest contract of our lost guys was McIntosh's $4 million, followed by Sammy Morris at $2.95 million.

Here are the links I used if someone wants to really get in depth in trying to figure this stuff out, even though the complete formula used is unknown.

http://www.gbnreport.com/freeagentscoreboard.htm

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/footb...s/default.aspx

Back
Top Bottom