Merged: Did we overrate ourselves?/Looks like 1995 to me | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Did we overrate ourselves?/Looks like 1995 to me

DolphinzD

Boom!! How you like that??
Reaction score
Looks like 1995 to me

Anybody else see the similarities? Lots of high-profile free agents brought in, team falling apart at mid-season, coach most likely on the way out, team badly in need of some changes, underachieving, etc.....

That team was 6-3 at this point in the season, fell to 6-6, then rebounded to win 3 of the last 4, only to get pounded in the first round of the play-offs. I see a similar fate with this year's team.

Did we overrate ourselves?

Coming into the season I too had Super Bowl aspirations for the Dolphins. I had assumed that the defense would be solid which it has been for the most part, the running game good which it has not been and the passing game to be mediocre which it is worse than mediocre.

I thought on paper, we had the best talent. Apparently I was wrong. But then you look at N.E. Patriots and on paper, they look like a 5-11 Team with no running game and a limited Tom Brady with no great receivers, O-line okay and defense savaged by injuries and yet they are a top 5 NFL Team right now.

Where did we go wrong? Is it really coaching? If it is Dave W. then how come a previously proven Offensive Coordinator like Norv Turner known for getting careers years out of guys like Brad Jonhnson, Frerotte, S. Davis, D. Johnston, Steven Alexander (pro bowl TE) and the receivers listening to a guy like Dave W. on how to run offenses. Plus their relationship is such that Dave W. I would think completely trusts Norv. Or is Norv setting up Dave for failure thinking he may be next in line for Head Coach.

Something is not right. But I feel, for a change we will have a strong finish to this season going into the playoffs.

We are overrated. We had stellar years last year by our top offensive and defensive players and finished 9-7. Ricky nearly rushed for 2000 yards and Taylor had 18 sacks.

I knew this would be a letdown year. Firstly, you bring in another starter to play back up, inviting a QB controversy. Secondly, you don't do anything to shore up your O-line. Thirdly, you do not improve yourself via the draft. Finally, you spend more money on the strongest aspect of the team and forgot about improving special teams and the offense.

Deep down, when the season started, I had visions of Shula's last year, all that supposed 1st round talent and an 8-8 record. Sadly, I think we may match that record this year with Wanny taking the hit.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

Yup, and 9-7 won't be enough this year. Hell, 10-6 may not get you in! :eek:

Take a quick look at the rest of the AFC, and I think 10-6 should get a team in, and 9-7 (with tiebreakers) might. Tennessee or Indy will most likely get the first Wild Card spot, but the second one is very much up for grabs.

Miami 5-4
Baltimore 5-4
Denver 5-4
Cincy 4-5
Buffalo 4-5
Jets 3-6
Houston 3-6
Pittsburgh 3-6
Cleveland 3-6

Now obviously one team among Baltimore/Cincy/Pittsburgh/Cleveland wins the AFC North, so that takes them out of the running. I personally think the 3-6 teams are really long shots, so it will most likely come down to Miami, Denver, Buffalo, and Baltimore/Cincy. Even in the Dolphins disarray, I think they are better than those teams. Certainly just getting into the play-offs would be a disappointment, but after the horrible feeling of missing them last year, just getting there will provide a little consolation.....for me at least.

Originally posted by Bumrush
We are overrated. We had stellar years last year by our top offensive and defensive players and finished 9-7. Ricky nearly rushed for 2000 yards and Taylor had 18 sacks.

I knew this would be a letdown year. Firstly, you bring in another starter to play back up, inviting a QB controversy. Secondly, you don't do anything to shore up your O-line. Thirdly, you do not improve yourself via the draft. Finally, you spend more money on the strongest aspect of the team and forgot about improving special teams and the offense.

Deep down, when the season started, I had visions of Shula's last year, all that supposed 1st round talent and an 8-8 record. Sadly, I think we may match that record this year with Wanny taking the hit.

Bum I agree that the issues the team has today were the same issues we had at the end of last year. But I differ when you say that DW did not try to correct them within the off-season.

Let's work on the first one- We needed another QB for back up. Well as some of us were not too favorable with Fiedler as a starter and DW thought that bringing in a veteran QB would be a plus for us if Fiedler got hurt. The fans created the QB controversy, DW has always stated that JF was his starter.

The second one- DW expected all of his OL players that were out last season to return and improve the OL play. He also went into FA but I if I remember, the money for the talent out there was an issue. I believed he tried to get a center or a tackle, but the price was too high for what he wanted to pay for the tackle, and the center (Kreuk) probably killing his name, return to his original team for less money. He did get OL from the draft as you know for the future, he expected more from this group this year.

The third one- On Special Teams we got Charlie Rodgers for his KR skills. Well everyone knows he was release due to his lack of production. Also released Punter M. Royals after a few games this season, for the same reasons. Lately he brought in Newsome (I guess he excelled in KR in the NFL Europe).

IMO, I don't blame him for not trying to improved things. I would blame him for not putting the fear on those superstars we have that are not performing to their talent level. The only consistantcy shown by this team this year is that of the OL and WR. They, for the most part, are consistantly awfull.

He neeeds to inspire a turnaround and soon...

GOOO FFIINZ!

:cooldude: :hail: :angry:

Originally posted by Disnardo

Bum I agree that the issues the team has today were the same issues we had at the end of last year. But I differ when you say that DW did not try to correct them within the off-season.

Let's work on the first one- We needed another QB for back up. Well as some of us were not too favorable with Fiedler as a starter and DW thought that bringing in a veteran QB would be a plus for us if Fiedler got hurt. The fans created the QB controversy, DW has always stated that JF was his starter.

The second one- DW expected all of his OL players that were out last season to return and improve the OL play. He also went into FA but I if I remember, the money for the talent out there was an issue. I believed he tried to get a center or a tackle, but the price was too high for what he wanted to pay for the tackle, and the center (Kreuk) probably killing his name, return to his original team for less money. He did get OL from the draft as you know for the future, he expected more from this group this year.

The third one- On Special Teams we got Charlie Rodgers for his KR skills. Well everyone knows he was release due to his lack of production. Also released Punter M. Royals after a few games this season, for the same reasons. Lately he brought in Newsome (I guess he excelled in KR in the NFL Europe).

IMO, I don't blame him for not trying to improved things. I would blame him for not putting the fear on those superstars we have that are not performing to their talent level. The only consistantcy shown by this team this year is that of the OL and WR. They, for the most part, are consistantly awfull.

He neeeds to inspire a turnaround and soon...

GOOO FFIINZ!

:cooldude: :hail: :angry:

nonetheless, we should have gone after OL more aggressively, definatly

Is John Gruden putting fears in the heart of the Bucs players right now ? It's a long season. Last year despite the R. Lucas fiasco we had a chance to get in the playoffs so I still believe we have a chance..

Back
Top Bottom