MERGED: Diversity Group Upset With Mueller Hiring | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Diversity Group Upset With Mueller Hiring

calphin

Big Muley Bucks are best.
Reaction score
Diversity Group Upset With Mueller Hiring.

[Washington Post] The head of the group formed to promote minority hiring at all levels of the NFL said yesterday he believes that the Dolphins acted improperly by hiring Randy Mueller as their general manager Monday without interviewing any minority candidates.

"We were very, very disappointed," said John Wooten, the chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, named for the NFL's first black head coach. "What they've done is insulted us and insulted the [league's] diversity committee with these kinds of shenanigans. What we're saying to the commissioner and to the NFL is, 'Put some teeth in these guidelines.' If I sound like I'm [mad], it's because I am."

That really pisses me off.I think Saban hired who he thought was the best man for the job.black,white,blue,green...color doesn't matter.why the heck do people try and make racial issues out of everything?I thought they abolished affirmative action,guess I was wrong. :fire:

They complained when we hired Saban also. However, it made the Art Shell interview look like a sham. Minority canidates should be considered, but you shouldn't be forced to interview or even hire them if they are not the best man for the job.

They're just blowing smoke. The league can't even penalize the Dolphins for this. The only time a penalty can be issued is with a head coach hiring.

Nublar7 said:
They complained when we hired Saban also. However, it made the Art Shell interview look like a sham. Minority canidates should be considered, but you shouldn't be forced to interview or even hire them if they are not the best man for the job.

agreed

I'm disappointed. Not any under circumstances whatsoever do I feel the Dolphins organization's intent was to insult or intend to commit any type of racist act whatsoever. I really wish this wasn't about race and just business and football. I'm not sure exactly if it's a rule that you have interview at least one minority for a GM, but if it is a rule, than we really should have interviewed a minority to abide by the rules and not cause any controversary but I hope this doesn't get completely blown out of proportion. I really don't feel that The Dolphins Front Office acted improperly unless they broke the rules which I'm not aware of as of yet. I remember a similar if not the same problem happening in Detroit but was hiring a Head Coach, I would guess the same rules would apply for a GM but I'm really not sure. I'm really disappointed that this got turned into face and hopefully it can be resolved an intelligent mature way rather than elevate to anything more deeper and more involved and controversal.

We we're set on Randy Mueller IMMEDIATELY after Rick Spielman's resignation. We didn't interview any minorities and we didn't interview anyone else besides Randy Mueller, so we were determined and our mind was set that he was our guy. If he was the only guy we interviewed, minority or no minority... not interviewing anyone else, I really don't see how the Dolphins Organization committed an act of racism. Hopefully this will be resolved.

People make racial issues out of things based on the past. My biggest issue with it is that the Fritz Pollard Alliance wants their recomendations to be the gospel that the league dances to but thats BS; whether the candidate is black white green with orange pointy hair or disabled, you hire the person best qualified and if its the guy you happen to 1st interview i dont see why that should be held against a team. Its no different than any other business.

Its a load of mindless propaganda. People want to dwell on garbage that happened 25-50 years ago (which wasnt right) that this generation did not take part in thats their problem. This and future generations dont need to pay for the stupidity of their ancestors. And if they ever want to help eliminate hate and gain a more equal representation in the job market they should probably do what they can to eliminate all this black/white/name your demographic tension based on the past they probably shouldnt go looking to make issues where there arent any.

In short they can basically kiss my @ss

Absolute stupidity is what it is. You tell me one candidate available that's as qualified as Randy Meuller minority or white.

It's lame. If our first choice was a minority and we didn't interview a white person then there wouldn't be any talk about it.

I love racial conversations on internet boards. So many intelligent comments

Exactly....hire the best person based on their abilities....it is like when we were looking for an OL coach....I thought the best candidates were Hudson Houck and Art Shell....but Art wants to be a head coach again, so we hired Houck who I think is the right man.

the best candidate gets the job. u dont get the job cause your a certain race. some of those interviews make the minoraties look rediculous. the art shell thing was a joke. even some minoraties thinks its crazy, before the dolphins hired saban, they offered randy shannon (canes d-coordinator) an interview and he laughed. LAUGHED!

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
I love racial conversations on internet boards. So many intelligent comments

Once again I agree with you, Dol-Fan Dupree. The scariest one was atop the thread, thinking affirmative action had been outlawed and virtually rejoicing at the thought.

My dad is a sociology professor. I've read plenty of texts including recent studies. Anyone who thinks this was an issue of 25-50 years ago and not appropos today is sadly base ignorant. The media and therefore our impressions may have changed, the hiring practices have not.

Back
Top Bottom