[MERGED] Dolphins to "Heavily Pursue Asante Samuel" | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[MERGED] Dolphins to "Heavily Pursue Asante Samuel"

thing is, there is a bunch of good CB's in this draft. We have some good talent at CB. I thought we were going to look at the Patriot safety thats in FA?

I think we will be looking for a safety. Just my stinking thoughts. Stupid deal if we go after Samuels IMO. I agree with Boomer. buyer beware all day long!

if its true that MIA is indeed passing on alan faneca...then i would believe that MIA will indeed chase asante samuel.

there isn't going to be a good enough CB available for us at #57 or #64 to pass on asante samuels. also, i read that nfl teams are obligated by the CBA to spend at least $28mil of the $44mil they have currently. So they have to overspend on somebody if they are just going to target justin smiley and flozell adams. asante samuels would also hurt NE. so its a no brainer, really.

if its true that MIA is indeed passing on alan faneca...then i would believe that MIA will indeed chase asante samuel.

there isn't going to be a good enough CB available for us at #57 or #64 to pass on asante samuels. also, i read that nfl teams are obligated by the CBA to spend at least $28mil of the $44mil they have currently. So they have to overspend on somebody if they are just going to target justin smiley and flozell adams. asante samuels would also hurt NE. so its a no brainer, really.

even if we stay at #1, we'll still draft a corner in the first couple rounds. i would rather trade down and be assured i am right, but either way one of the guys we've all heard of will be on this team - whether it be cason or talib or mckelvin (my pick). if we stay at #1 i see jake long then in rd2 i see mckelvin. just my opinion though.

i just wish we would once rebuild in the right way. acquiring big name vets just isn't the correct way to rebuild - ask the raiders.

I happen to agree. But keep in mind that this team is so devoid of talent that no amount of decent drafting will fix it by itself. Some positions need to be adressed via FA and we happen to be in great salary cap shape. I'm with you when it comes to adding aging veterans (like Saban did), but getting a young player in his prime is actually a smart move. He'll still be in his prime when this team is ready to make a playoff run again. Basically, that's exactly the kind of vet you want to add during rebuilding.

isn't the draft this year full of quality corners, which doesn't happen very often?

That's a very good point. I'm hard pressed to believe that Parcells would just ignore such a deep draft class. I still think we are going to add a corner come April and I still think we are doing it in the first four rounds. Will Allen isn't getting younger, Lehan and Goodman are depth and Travis Daniels should be in heaven if he makes the final roster. If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that we are going to try the "Cleveland approach" and grab a young, promising corner in the 3rd. See Eric Wright.

Speaking of the deep class - that's, by the way, the reason why I don't think we'll be signing Flozell Adams. It's just too good a class to overpay for an aging tackle. Going CB and OT in FA with the deepest CB and OT draft class in ages at hand just doesn't make any sense.

I happen to agree. But keep in mind that this team is so devoid of talent that no amount of decent drafting will fix it by itself. Some positions need to be adressed via FA and we happen to be in great salary cap shape. I'm with you when it comes to adding aging veterans (like Saban did), but getting a young player in his prime is actually a smart move. He'll still be in his prime when this team is ready to make a playoff run again. Basically, that's exactly the kind of vet you want to add during rebuilding.

That's a very good point. I'm hard pressed to believe that Parcells would just ignore such a deep draft class. I still think we are going to add a corner come April and I still think we are doing it in the first four rounds. Will Allen isn't getting younger, Lehan and Goodman are depth and Travis Daniels should be in heaven if he makes the final roster. If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that we are going to try the "Cleveland approach" and grab a young, promising corner in the 3rd. See Eric Wright.

Speaking of the deep class - that's, by the way, the reason why I don't think we'll be signing Flozell Adams. It's just too good a class to overpay for an aging tackle. Going CB and OT in FA with the deepest CB and OT draft class in ages at hand just doesn't make any sense.

thank you. i don't mind overspending for a young guy that we need - if someone like colston was to decide he wanted out i would be all for it b/c we need receivers and the draft class isn't that deep. but for asante with the question marks surrounding his 'talent' and the deep draft class for corners - just don't know.

I have mixed feelings on Samuel. Yes, he would be a big upgrade over what we have now in our defensive backfield, but we have MANY needs. Wouldn't it make more sense to spread the money around a little, and get maybe 2-3 quality FA's for the same money we would be paying Samuel? I really hope we don't do this.

Apparently we are one of three tems who will be very aggressive in bringing him in, along with the Jets, and the Bengals"

This comes from a very reliable source who works at an organisation that has come through MANY times in the past. What's interesting is that a) Philly haven't been mentioned as there have been rumours about the parameters of a $55 million deal already being in place and that b) Cincy are involved considering they spent heavily on Joseph and Leon Hall, although there are continuing off field concerns over Joseph.

I have done before and will say again, that Samuel comes with a buyer beware label. He isn't an elite NFL CB. He's not in the same class as Nnamdi Asomugha and Marcus Trufant and Rashean Mathis and Ike Taylor and Champ Bailey and Leigh Bodden, etc. He's a good player in a suitable system. I hope that we don't enter a bidding war, especially considering how deep the CB talent pool is in the draft.
too pricey lets draft a cb!

for thise that dont want FA NE signed 22 FA in 01 on their chase to a title n they won. Ill get the libk later im on a phone now.

there must be 32 assante samuels because every team is interested in him, that means over paying him, rather have ten guys then one

lets nab Assaunte with this contract $500,000 for every INT $1,000,000 for every INT returned for a TD and $25,000 for every tackle

we have 44 mill in cap space. And we take away " THE PLAYMAKER" from our hated rivals. Whats not to like about getting him??? Will allen and Samuel would be a good combo! Not to mention JT,Porter, Maybe CHRIS Long going after the QB, how can you not excited at that possibility

we have 44 mill in cap space. And we take away " THE PLAYMAKER" from our hated rivals. Whats not to like about getting him??? Will allen and Samuel would be a good combo! Not to mention JT,Porter, Maybe CHRIS Long going after the QB, how can you not excited at that possibility

also miami needs anotehr CB which i HOPE is VIA DRAFT b/c allen is in a contrcat year now as well. So we need smoene to replace him or still be our 3rd back or 2nd or w/e once we resign him (meaning allen if we do next year which i hope)>

i love Rogers-cromatie. I think he is the best corner in the draft! But if we got samuel we could take corner in the 2nd or 3rd. Justin King?

IMO Parcells is creating bidding wars when other teams from our divsion are involved to drive up the price then back out so they end up over spending............At least I hope!!

even if we stay at #1, we'll still draft a corner in the first couple rounds. i would rather trade down and be assured i am right, but either way one of the guys we've all heard of will be on this team - whether it be cason or talib or mckelvin (my pick). if we stay at #1 i see jake long then in rd2 i see mckelvin. just my opinion though.

Mckelvin in the 2nd rd?

Dream on.

Rogers Cromartie, Mckelvin, Flowers will all be gone by the time we pick at 32

McKlevin IS GOING to go to NE at 7.

BTW I read today that Samuels agent said he is hoping MIAMI calls Samuels and shows interest bc it is also his hometown i believe.

Maybe he takes a mill or something less just b/c of being at home.

Back
Top Bottom