Merged: Dolphins Trade Satele to Raiders for 6th round pick and swap 4th round picks | Page 39 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Dolphins Trade Satele to Raiders for 6th round pick and swap 4th round picks

This thread is nauseating with all the useless arguing and opinions of Satele from fans who are HIGHLY overvaluing him. Anyone who thinks we should have gotten a 2nd or 3rd for Satele should just stop posting now, b/c you obviously have no clue. Teams are only getting 2nd round picks for star pro bowl players these days. The landscape of the NFL has change b/c draft picks are now so incredibly valuable, especially with the salary cap and restricted free agency. To me, it's obvious why Miami traded Satele....there is just no room for him. He wasn't Sparano's type of linemen, that was obvious. So Sparano went out and got Joe Berger and Jake Grove. Satele was automatically now a backup, who was too weak at the point of attack to play center against big NTs and not really a true guard b/c he's not a mauler. Miami now has Long, Smiley, Grove, Thomas, and Carey as starters with Berger, Ndukwe, Alleman, Murphy, Frye and Garner as backups. That's already too many linemen to carry for the season, so eventually, someone had to go. Plus, i am positive that Parcell's and company will draft a big olineman in the draft, b/c he always does. So again, where does that leave Satele? He doesn't fit Sparano's type of lineman. He doesn't fit the scheme Miami plays, especially against big NTs. And he struggled last year. So Miami did they best they could and traded him. Yes, i would have preferred a 5th, but getting a 6th and swapping the 4ths isn't too bad for a guy that probably would have been released at some point anyways.

So they way I have it, pick 96 ends the 3rd round. So Miami gets the 12th player in the 4th round instead of the 30th. To me, that is substantial. Just imagine if that was the first round and Miami went up from 30th to 12th pick. Miami will get a better player in the 4th round because of this trade. That's a guarantee.

The 6th round pick is just bonus for a possible fluke - like maybe a Devon Bess or something.

it is.

A player is never the same after a torn Labrum. Other athletes came on here and said that a month ago.
I had a partial torn labrum in my right shoulder back in 2004, from throwing a football around....I heard a pop but didn't think much of.....my shoulder just kept feeling sore but I thought the pain would eventually go away. I ended up getting surgery about 4 months later on it, but my shoulder still hurts quite a lot. Hopefully he recovers from it. You lose a lot of strength and flexibilty and it is a pain to rehab your shoulder. I wouldn't mind us drafting a Center and moving Satele to RG.

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/f2/merged-satele-played-2008-with-a-torn-labrum-241509.html

Satelle will never regain his Rookie form. He's basically done. He'll have no shoulder strength. This was evident in the weight room and all the trainers knew what the deal was all along.

So they liked Satele enough to start him all year even though he was injured and then trade him for a 6th and swapping 4ths. That seems weak. I don't think our season or future are going to depend on this trade, but it seems really weak. All the rationalizing some of you are desperately trying isn't going to change that this was by no means some kind of steal by the Dolphins. It would have been unusual to cut a 3rd year player who has started every game, especially since he was on a cheap contract, but this is really only one level above cutting him.

There is still alot of talet left in the 4th round so to move up all the spots is pretty good especially jus giving up a player that has no future with this team.

Some numbers to think about with this trade:

The 6th rd. pick gave us 24.2 pts from the draft chart value
The swap of 4th rd. picks gave us a plus 36 pts

The total point draft chart value gave us a combined 60.2 pts., this is equal to the 117th pick in the 4th rd.

So, in reference we gained a mid-late 4th rd. pick.

I believe this is the thought process behind the trade.

Note: Oakland did not have a 5th rd. draft pick. This is how we worked around that.

This gives us more flexibility for draft day trades, and gives us some wiggle room if we want to move up or back in the draft, if we wanted to target specific players.

Any thoughts?

This thread is nauseating with all the useless arguing and opinions of Satele from fans who are HIGHLY overvaluing him. Anyone who thinks we should have gotten a 2nd or 3rd for Satele should just stop posting now, b/c you obviously have no clue. Teams are only getting 2nd round picks for star pro bowl players these days. The landscape of the NFL has change b/c draft picks are now so incredibly valuable, especially with the salary cap and restricted free agency. To me, it's obvious why Miami traded Satele....there is just no room for him. He wasn't Sparano's type of linemen, that was obvious. So Sparano went out and got Joe Berger and Jake Grove. Satele was automatically now a backup, who was too weak at the point of attack to play center against big NTs and not really a true guard b/c he's not a mauler. Miami now has Long, Smiley, Grove, Thomas, and Carey as starters with Berger, Ndukwe, Alleman, Murphy, Frye and Garner as backups. That's already too many linemen to carry for the season, so eventually, someone had to go. Plus, i am positive that Parcell's and company will draft a big olineman in the draft, b/c he always does. So again, where does that leave Satele? He doesn't fit Sparano's type of lineman. He doesn't fit the scheme Miami plays, especially against big NTs. And he struggled last year. So Miami did they best they could and traded him. Yes, i would have preferred a 5th, but getting a 6th and swapping the 4ths isn't too bad for a guy that probably would have been released at some point anyways.

Thank you for displaying some common sense. You said what I wanted to say but I didn't feel like typing it. I added to you're rep. Bravo!

Originally Posted by mcteems
So they way I have it, pick 96 ends the 3rd round. So Miami gets the 12th player in the 4th round instead of the 30th. To me, that is substantial. Just imagine if that was the first round and Miami went up from 30th to 12th pick. Miami will get a better player in the 4th round because of this trade. That's a guarantee.

The 6th round pick is just bonus for a possible fluke - like maybe a Devon Bess or something.

That one way of looking at it.....

The total point draft chart value gave us a combined 60.2 pts., this is equal to the 117th pick in the 4th rd.

Note: Oakland did not have a 5th rd. draft pick. This is how we worked around that.

This gives us more flexibility for draft day trades, and gives us some wiggle room if we want to move up or back in the draft, if we wanted to target specific players.

Any thoughts?

I can promise you, that when comp. picks are reward out
the MD l 4th round pick will be 3 to 5 picks higher

and that 6th round pick is more like a 7th round pick
after all the Compensation picks

Remember :The NFL has to reward a set amount of compensation pick
I think the number is 32 picks

That one way of looking at it.....

I can promise you, that when comp. picks are reward out
the MD l 4th round pick will be 3 to 5 picks higher

and that 6th round pick is more like a 7th round pick
after all the Compensation picks

Remember :The NFL has to reward a set amount of compensation pick
I think the number is 32 picks
Correct.

This is very true.

As I said in my post, I mentioned how Oakland did not have a 5th rd. pick and this was a way Miami worked around that. In the end the trade was for a early 5th round pick.

Or the #8 pick in the 5th rd. (ALA the pick Oakland traded away prior).

Any thoughts?

I think that is a very logical way to look at it. We got some value for Satele, but by no means his original draft value or playing value. However, what has to be considered is the SYSTEM requirements for this OL: this made Satele expendable. Far better to improve the draft with him now than to cut him later. And on the Raiders part, FAR better to spend a little to potentially gain a lot: a proven starter than just might fit their system to a T.

Both teams got value. You help yourself like that, sometimes a lot.

It's not a bad trade, all things considered.

LD

With 110th pick, Miami picks Shawn Murphy's twin and lets him ride the bench for two whole years just to become a backup. Very substantial!

With 110th pick, Miami picks Shawn Murphy's twin and lets him ride the bench for two whole years just to become a backup. Very substantial!

And what about Donald Thomas ?

Funny that you didn't mention him.. All he did was start right out of the gate and impressed the hell out of the coaching staff, as a 6th round pick...

And may I remind you that there isn't a team in existence that strikes gold with every pick. All you can do is hope to do better than others, and this regime proved that they can do it last year.

Satele wasn't gold to this regime. They saw him as a great weakness down the middle of the offense. To get back what they did was a good move, and adding a much stronger center with Jake Grove in the process.

And what about Donald Thomas ?

Funny that you didn't mention him.. All he did was start right out of the gate and impressed the hell out of the coaching staff, as a 6th round pick...

And may I remind you that there isn't a team in existence that strikes gold with every pick. All you can do is hope to do better than others, and this regime proved that they can do it last year.

Satele wasn't gold to this regime. They saw him as a great weakness down the middle of the offense. To get back what they did was a good move, and adding a much stronger center with Jake Grove in the process.

All Donald Thomas did was not even play a complete game and was put on IR.Sure he was great in the pre season but until he stays healthy he is still a big ?

All Donald Thomas did was not even play a complete game and was put on IR.Sure he was great in the pre season but until he stays healthy he is still a big ?

Yeah he had bad luck on one play. But the regime KNOWS he can play. And they KNOW Satele can't play in this offense. Satele got totally destroyed and got blown off the ball way too often for their liking.

I really can't believe dolphin fans are up in arms over losing a weak center who can't run block. Satele is just a finesse guy.

If you can't run block, you have no place on this Miami Dolphins offensive line. Period.

Add the fact that Satele had a shoulder injury that is very hard to regain strength from, nevermind trying to add strength (that he so desperately needs), made him useless to us. An offensive line is only as strong as it's weakest link in the chain. And Satele was clearly a weak link that would really hurt the ball control power offense this team is trying to build.

So they liked Satele enough to start him all year even though he was injured and then trade him for a 6th and swapping 4ths. That seems weak. I don't think our season or future are going to depend on this trade, but it seems really weak. All the rationalizing some of you are desperately trying isn't going to change that this was by no means some kind of steal by the Dolphins. It would have been unusual to cut a 3rd year player who has started every game, especially since he was on a cheap contract, but this is really only one level above cutting him.

we were so injured on the O line of course he started all year

Back
Top Bottom