Merged:Elton Brown, G, a Dolphin?/Think twice about E. Brown | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged:Elton Brown, G, a Dolphin?/Think twice about E. Brown

saves said:
Hadnot was a center in college and I wouldn't say James is solid enough that we should pass up a possible stud to keep him.

Hadnot filled in quite well at guard last season and we already paid enough for James. A 1st or 2nd rounder could cost us a lot and a little too much for guard than undrafted FA.

Our O line was bad but so was our whole offensive scheme until Bates took over. Our O-line showed some improvement under Bates in the last part of the season and now that we have Houck who the players apparently are raving about the O-line will be much improved. We have McDougle, Carey, McIntosh, St. Clair, Hadnot, McKinney, James, Pape and they all have the talent to be starters on an NFL O-line... maybe not McKinney. Brown is a late 1st early 2nd round prospect and will be picked up from picks 25 to 45 and I don't want to be wasting picks on O-lineman when we have someone who can make all our O-line man respectable starters.

Regan21286 said:
Actually, it's more in the tackle and center spots. Guard isn't really one with James and Hadnot. Plus, we can always pick one up via undrafted FA.
I agree I still think Jeno James was a solid pickup last season and Hadnot has some nice upside! I think McKinney is a BUST!!! I'd like to see what Carey can do if he get the opportunity and I love the Acquisition of McDougle!!

LT Damion McIntosh? Carey? St Clair? Smith?

LG Jeno James, Hadnot

C Hadnot? St Clair? McKinney? Smith?

RG Vernon Carey, Hadnot

RT McDougle, Carey, St Clair.

Actually its very obvious where the holes are.

Joey 22 said:
LT Damion McIntosh? Carey? St Clair? Smith?

LG Jeno James, Hadnot

C Hadnot? St Clair? McKinney? Smith?

RG Vernon Carey, Hadnot

RT McDougle, Carey, St Clair.

Actually its very obvious where the holes are.

Hadnot's going to be a guard. Smith and St. Clair would probably be dueling it out as center. RT is solid, LT if Carey comes through or D-Mac regains his form will too. Guard is also.

Regan21286 said:
Hadnot filled in quite well at guard last season and we already paid enough for James. A 1st or 2nd rounder could cost us a lot and a little too much for guard than undrafted FA.

Okay, Hadnot can still play center and I don't care how much we paid for James, he wasn't that great. I'd get rid of him in a second if a better player came along.

Might not be a bad idea, if we have a 2nd rounder or if he drops to the 3rd (unlikely, but there's always a few that slip). Hadnot would move to Center to compete with Smith and McKinney.

But, it could be Saban and Houck feel good about the OL. Or they may think there's some road-graders available in round 3-4. In that event, Saban will likely go for explosive offensive players. He's already given some indication that he believes good coaching will make a difference with an offensive line and that New England has demonstrated this.

The real issue with the O-line imo is two things:

1) Mental mistakes - good coaching, a good scheme and a center who can make the right calls will all help overcome this very weak area from last year.

2) Physicality - these guys have the size. I think they need to really get in better shape (they seemed a bit fat last year). Someone needs to light a fire under them as a unit - get them working out together and really come into camp in very good shape - with a lot more muscle on those big frames. One thing about Houck's lines is that they have been very big and very dominant physically.

All of these FAVORITE mock drafts involves 1-2 o players and 4-6 d players.our d has been pretty solid the last few years and the o has really stunk.draft o??????

here is another bio of Chris Kemoeatu

Chris Kemoeatu
G, Utah
War Room analysis
Strengths: Has height, bulk and overall strength. Has good initial quickness for his size. Gets in position and locks on. Has a jarring hand punch, a strong base and the lower-body strength to anchor vs. the bull rush. Is a perfect fit for a power running game but also is quick and strong enough to hold up in the short area in pass protection. Is a mauler type.

Weaknesses: Lacks athleticism and mobility. Is less effective playing in space. Doesn't have long arms. Needs better conditioning and must watch his weight. Had a kidney infection in 2003 and was suspended twice for kicking opponents in the face during games.

Bottom line: Kemoeatu needs to improve his technique and blocking angles, but his size and strength are rare. If he stays healthy, he should be selected late on Day 2.

Dan Pompei analysis
Huge, tough blocker with a powerful upper body. Plays with a nasty streak. Strong run blocker. Comes off the snap hard and gets push. Doesn't have quick feet and is limited athletically. Overextends at times and gets top heavy. Effort is inconsistent. Potential is big.

Not that i would tolerate kicking players in the face, but i can see out this, this is a nasty guy that could really be a dominant force in the running game, i really would like to give him a look on Day 2

wouldn't suprise me if we got him at #46, however, I think that a QB like Campbell would be a better option.

Wasn't he the one that got upset and left the combine?

fishbanger said:
I think David BASS is a better choice who can play center or guard.

Bass would be a great pick but we better move up in the second (assuming we get #46 for PS) because I think he'll be gone if we stay pat. Plus I think that Saban may target Campbell or Frye at #46 if either one is still available whick is possible.

we spent an awful lot of time interviewing Guards at the Combine. Elton Brown was included.

Think Twice About Elton Brown.....

I've noticed a lot of people on this forum like the idea of drafting Elton Brown, but I was never sold on him and now reading about his workout performances definitely screams buyer beware.

Here is a snipet from an article mentioning the top 5 risers and fallers in the NFL Draft this year:

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/don_banks/04/05/five.draft.movers/2.html

Elton Brown, Virginia, guard -- Brown has been considered the top guard in this year's draft, but that is somewhat tepid praise, because few personnel men believe guards are first-round material. But given a chance to crack the top 32, Brown hasn't exactly turned in the kind of draft season performance that earns favorable reviews.

He didn't work out at the Combine, and left early on the advice of his agent. His pro day showing was underwhelming to say the least. He had just 19 reps in the bench press, ran a 5.79 40 after pulling his left hamstring, and his vertical jump was 26 1/2 inches. If he ever had a chance to improve his standing and tempt some team into taking a first-round chance on him, that window of opportunity has closed.

Run-blocking is Brown's forte, but he really hasn't shown enough in pass protection to warrant more than second-round consideration. In the past two months, he has given teams way too many reasons to shy away from him.

What gets me is the fact he only did 19 reps of 225lbs . Now that is horrible by NFL standards for an offensive lineman. There are QBs and CBs who benched more than that at their combines and personal workouts.

Just want to inform the Elton Brown backers about their boy. We should definitely stay away from this guy unless he falls to the 4th or 5th round. IMO he is not worth a pick earlier than that.

Back
Top Bottom