[Merged] Fins giving Quinn a private workout | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[Merged] Fins giving Quinn a private workout

No, but conversely, do you want to be saying "We had him, we FRIGGIN had him and we passed" if (probably WHEN) he outperforms all of the other QBs in the draft?

I don't, once was enough (Drew Brees).

You could say that about ANY player in this draft, the "do you want to be saying that if another (name a position) is better than (name a player we draft instead)?" Hell, What happens if we pass on a guy early and take a guy later and the early guy is a stud, the latter a bust? What happens if we take one guy over another in the 7th round, and the other becomes a better player? Happens every single year, people pick one guy and another guy they had a chance at turns out to be better, so in theory what you are applying to Brady Quinn could be to ANY player at ANY position. I for one would rather risk it for Quinn (who is already NFL-ready, think of what a year of sitting and learning behind a guy like Trent Green could do) than pass on the opportunity and find out the QB we do take doesn't work and then what? No garuntees we are in position for Brohm next year (who I don't even see as being beter than Quinn) so why pass on the opportunity to find a franchise, potentially Pro Bowl, QB?

We will never get a franchise QB if we don't finally pull the trigger on investing in a QB, and I mean more than a later round guy who never makes the team or gets sent to NFL Europe. Quinn is a risk I'm willing to take. If he busts, oh well, at least I will know we made an effort. It's not like we haven't had crappy drafts for YEARS now, so I'm willing to suffer one more (potentially, assuming we make a trade for Quinn and he busts) if the opposite end of that is we get a potential Pro Bowl franchise QB. The reward is greater than the risk for Quinn IMO.
I disagree. First, we have invested in QBs in the past and they just haven't panned out. Just because we select a Qb early in the draft, there is no guarantee for success. In fact, very few QBs succeed. It is the hardest position to fill. How can you say that Quinn is NFL ready? Just because he was schooled under Weis' system does not make him NFL ready. Incidentally, Weis is one of the most overrated coaches. He hasn't had a lot of success in ND, and quite frankly, Tom Brady , the defense and the other coaching staff got Weis a SB ring. I think the Pats offense is actually much better since Weis left.
You argue that the posters' ,logic is flawed because the potential for the opposite to occur exists but it is a circular argument. You say Quinn could be a pro-bowl Qb, wel according to your logic, many others could also potentially be pro-bowl QBs. I just don't seen Quinn having much success in the nFL. APart form some of his physical shortcomings, I think his biggest weakness is his mental toughness, which is oddly, what many of supporters would say is his greatest strength.
I've watched about 12-15 of his games on tape over the last three years, and am still confused about all the hype. This is not to say that he is worthless, garbage etc, but I just don't get why people are creaming their jeans over the guy. I've also been put off by his interviews. Quite frankly, he reminds me of Ryan Leaf more than Tom Brady. He comes across as selfish, conceited, narcissistic and a sense of entitlement.
Last point. I'm also confused as to whay you say we have had bad drafts for years. We had some pretty decent drafts under Saban.

i dont want o say that hes the quaterback we have been waiting for but i think hes a solid quaterback with a lot of potantial dont get to hyped up you guys might be dissapointed at the end:bighug:

The Dolphins met with Brady Quinn at the NFL Combine and the Senior Bowl. They watched Quinn's workout at Notre Dame intently. During the Combine they gave Quinn an extremely tough chalk talk session where they asked him to draw up as many of Notre Dame's plays as possible. Cameron promised that at their next meeting, he's going to ask Brady to do the same exact thing, except time him to only 60 seconds. From what I hear, this private meeting they have with Quinn is actually going to be at Notre Dame...the staff are flying the private jet up there to meet with him. They may decide to bring him back to Davie for a day at the office, they may not. This is all extremely important when deciding whether they should be spending an extra draft pick to go up and get him.

The asking price to move up from #9 to #6 should be the Dolphins' 3rd round pick, #71 overall. They might be forced to toss in a 6th for good measure.

It is interesting that someone brought up the Peyton vs. Eli thing...because I see that playing out at the top of this draft. Jamarcus Russell is the most physically gifted slinger to come out since...well, maybe not EVER, but it's close. The ball flies off his hands, and he's damn accurate too.

But, his lax attitude makes me think very much of Eli "I let my family do all the talking for me" Manning. I don't question whether he loves the game of football, rather I question whether he's willing to put in the work to be all that he can be in the game of football. He shows up to the Combine, the most important job interview of his life, and he's got flab all over his torso. Nick Saban benched the guy a few times, claiming that Jamarcus just doesn't know how good he could be, if he would only work at it. Is he a true leader among his teammates? I don't know that he is.

His 2006 season was truly an awesome season. His accuracy, the way he pushed the ball down the field, everything a great year...much like Brady Quinn's 2005 season. But what was the catalyst for this great season? Why was he such an underachiever prior to 2006, and then he broke out in 2006? His supporters will claim that the light clicked on for him, that he started working hard like Nick Saban always told him to and it paid off. I'm not buying it. There may have been a little of that going on, but I think the catalysts were entirely exogenous in nature.

Fact of the matter is that he already had a good WRs unit in 2005, but in 2006 they broke out in a big way. Dwayne Bowe had corrective eye surgery prior to 2006 and all the sudden he stopped dropping the ball, became the first round WR we all see right now. Craig "Buster" Davis always had some of the best hands in the SEC, and a good speed/size combo, but prior to the 2006 he spent a summer with the Mannings up in Manning camp and came out of that camp running precise routes like Marvin Harrison. He has now become a borderline first round WR in the eyes of many scouts. Early Doucet was a frosh in 2005, and by his sophomore year he's already become a typhoon of speed and play-making talent, like a poor man's Ted Ginn Jr.

So I don't think that 2006 stands as proof that Jamarcus has "grown up" at all. He still needs to prove that he has, and he certainly did a very poor job of that at the Combine. I also look at interviews with him and his uncle where his uncle keeps basically speaking for him, and it does remind me a lot of Eli Manning. Maybe it's just me, but the guy I want to draft at quarterback, if he's in a room being interviewed with his uncle, I want the quarterback to be the dominant presence in the room to where his uncle is afraid to speak out of turn. Little things, but the little things add up to make me uncomfortable about Russell.

Now Quinn, on the other hand...has all the physical tools you could ask for and then some. But, the thing that he really has going for him that has to get your attention for this position is an A++ work ethic and competitive spirit. We're talking borderline neurosis. That's what you want in a quarterback. You don't necessarily want the most perfectly adjusted and likeable guy in the locker room at that position. You want a guy that cares so much about the competition over who will be the first quarterback taken that he avoids contact or being overly friendly with his competition. You want a guy that takes boxing lessons with his pro heavyweight boxer teammate (Tom Zbikowski) because many of the lessons on throwing great punches help you throw great passes on the football field. You want a guy that goes on vacation with his girlfriend in the islands, and cares so much about his body and physical fitness, that he and his girlfriend pay for a gym membership in the islands to keep in shape while they are there. You want a guy that is such an avid gym rat that as a quarterback he throws up the 225 pound bar more times (24) than any other quarterback that bothered doing the exercise, and more times than all but one tight end at the Combine (Daniel Coats did 34 reps, a blocking TE out of BYU). You want a guy that will voluntarily walk out of the Patriots' facility with tapes of every throw Tom Brady has ever made in Charlie Weis' offense, and spend an entire summer absorbing his style.

Kind of psycho, huh? But, that's what you want. You want a psycho workaholic as your quarterback, a guy that doesn't accept failure from anyone, least of all himself. Everyone knows that running drills aren't terribly important for quarterbacks, but Quinn has to do them at his pro day, so what does he do? If you have to do them, might as well do them really well. So, he goes out there with a 36 inch vertical, 1.62/2.75/4.73 in the 10/20/40, a 9'7" broad jump, a 4.22 second shuttle, and a 6.79 cone drill...all at 6'4" and 232 pounds. I crunch these kinds of numbers, it is what I do, and trust me when I say that among ALL players in his weight class (+/- 10 lbs), he ranked #13 of 55 in athleticism terms...about as good as Lawrence Timmons. Now, you ask yourself, does Brady Quinn just wake up in the morning, slap on a pair of jeans, and look as great of an athlete as guys like Lawrence Timmons and Aaron Rouse? No. It took hard work and a whole lot of training to achieve those numbers. But why go through that, you're a quarterback and certainly nobody thinks of you as a running quarterback, so why put in all that time and effort training up for drills that don't really matter? Because if you're going to do them, you might as well do them well...

That is why I see a lot of similarities between Brady Quinn and Peyton Manning...and Tom Brady. Because he immediately becomes one of the hardest-working men in the quarterbacking game.

Oh, and not to mention he throws the ball pretty god damn well.

The Dolphins met with Brady Quinn at the NFL Combine and the Senior Bowl. They watched Quinn's workout at Notre Dame intently. During the Combine they gave Quinn an extremely tough chalk talk session where they asked him to draw up as many of Notre Dame's plays as possible. Cameron promised that at their next meeting, he's going to ask Brady to do the same exact thing, except time him to only 60 seconds. From what I hear, this private meeting they have with Quinn is actually going to be at Notre Dame...the staff are flying the private jet up there to meet with him. They may decide to bring him back to Davie for a day at the office, they may not. This is all extremely important when deciding whether they should be spending an extra draft pick to go up and get him.

The asking price to move up from #9 to #6 should be the Dolphins' 3rd round pick, #71 overall. They might be forced to toss in a 6th for good measure.

It is interesting that someone brought up the Peyton vs. Eli thing...because I see that playing out at the top of this draft. Jamarcus Russell is the most physically gifted slinger to come out since...well, maybe not EVER, but it's close. The ball flies off his hands, and he's damn accurate too.

But, his lax attitude makes me think very much of Eli "I let my family do all the talking for me" Manning. I don't question whether he loves the game of football, rather I question whether he's willing to put in the work to be all that he can be in the game of football. He shows up to the Combine, the most important job interview of his life, and he's got flab all over his torso. Nick Saban benched the guy a few times, claiming that Jamarcus just doesn't know how good he could be, if he would only work at it. Is he a true leader among his teammates? I don't know that he is.

His 2006 season was truly an awesome season. His accuracy, the way he pushed the ball down the field, everything a great year...much like Brady Quinn's 2005 season. But what was the catalyst for this great season? Why was he such an underachiever prior to 2006, and then he broke out in 2006? His supporters will claim that the light clicked on for him, that he started working hard like Nick Saban always told him to and it paid off. I'm not buying it. There may have been a little of that going on, but I think the catalysts were entirely exogenous in nature.

Fact of the matter is that he already had a good WRs unit in 2005, but in 2006 they broke out in a big way. Dwayne Bowe had corrective eye surgery prior to 2006 and all the sudden he stopped dropping the ball, became the first round WR we all see right now. Craig "Buster" Davis always had some of the best hands in the SEC, and a good speed/size combo, but prior to the 2006 he spent a summer with the Mannings up in Manning camp and came out of that camp running precise routes like Marvin Harrison. He has now become a borderline first round WR in the eyes of many scouts. Early Doucet was a frosh in 2005, and by his sophomore year he's already become a typhoon of speed and play-making talent, like a poor man's Ted Ginn Jr.

So I don't think that 2006 stands as proof that Jamarcus has "grown up" at all. He still needs to prove that he has, and he certainly did a very poor job of that at the Combine. I also look at interviews with him and his uncle where his uncle keeps basically speaking for him, and it does remind me a lot of Eli Manning. Maybe it's just me, but the guy I want to draft at quarterback, if he's in a room being interviewed with his uncle, I want the quarterback to be the dominant presence in the room to where his uncle is afraid to speak out of turn. Little things, but the little things add up to make me uncomfortable about Russell.

Now Quinn, on the other hand...has all the physical tools you could ask for and then some. But, the thing that he really has going for him that has to get your attention for this position is an A++ work ethic and competitive spirit. We're talking borderline neurosis. That's what you want in a quarterback. You don't necessarily want the most perfectly adjusted and likeable guy in the locker room at that position. You want a guy that cares so much about the competition over who will be the first quarterback taken that he avoids contact or being overly friendly with his competition. You want a guy that takes boxing lessons with his pro heavyweight boxer teammate (Tom Zbikowski) because many of the lessons on throwing great punches help you throw great passes on the football field. You want a guy that goes on vacation with his girlfriend in the islands, and cares so much about his body and physical fitness, that he and his girlfriend pay for a gym membership in the islands to keep in shape while they are there. You want a guy that is such an avid gym rat that as a quarterback he throws up the 225 pound bar more times (24) than any other quarterback that bothered doing the exercise, and more times than all but one tight end at the Combine (Daniel Coats did 34 reps, a blocking TE out of BYU). You want a guy that will voluntarily walk out of the Patriots' facility with tapes of every throw Tom Brady has ever made in Charlie Weis' offense, and spend an entire summer absorbing his style.

Kind of psycho, huh? But, that's what you want. You want a psycho workaholic as your quarterback, a guy that doesn't accept failure from anyone, least of all himself. Everyone knows that running drills aren't terribly important for quarterbacks, but Quinn has to do them at his pro day, so what does he do? If you have to do them, might as well do them really well. So, he goes out there with a 36 inch vertical, 1.62/2.75/4.73 in the 10/20/40, a 9'7" broad jump, a 4.22 second shuttle, and a 6.79 cone drill...all at 6'4" and 232 pounds. I crunch these kinds of numbers, it is what I do, and trust me when I say that among ALL players in his weight class (+/- 10 lbs), he ranked #13 of 55 in athleticism terms...about as good as Lawrence Timmons. Now, you ask yourself, does Brady Quinn just wake up in the morning, slap on a pair of jeans, and look as great of an athlete as guys like Lawrence Timmons and Aaron Rouse? No. It took hard work and a whole lot of training to achieve those numbers. But why go through that, you're a quarterback and certainly nobody thinks of you as a running quarterback, so why put in all that time and effort training up for drills that don't really matter? Because if you're going to do them, you might as well do them well...

That is why I see a lot of similarities between Brady Quinn and Peyton Manning...and Tom Brady. Because he immediately becomes one of the hardest-working men in the quarterbacking game.

WOW!!!!!

:goof: ....Impressive as always CK!!

I agree with CK,Brady's work ethic (film study/leadership/
gym rat/etc)is what impresses me more than his physical
skills,which I think are great.It is also what separates him
from the Ryan Leaf's/Akili Smiths of the world.
I'd trade the farm for Brady Quinn.

Awesome write up on Quinn. I really do think we are enamored enough with him to trade up.

i'd love to get brady but i'm actuallty hoping we like what we see from another QB cuz Brady would probably cost us our 1st 3 picks right ? I dunno if spending all that on a QB is the best thing for this franchise. Look what the giants gave up for ELI, they could have had Rivers, Merriman, and Kaeding !!
Do you want to be saying something like that about us if a QB selected later performs as well or better than Quinn ?

Hopefully we don't give up that much if we get Quinn.

Wow. The man crush for Quinn just astonishes me. I`ll give you that it was a fairly lengthy analysis but I would also say it was highly selective. First, and perhaps most important, nowhere do you mention the fact that Brady Quinn failed to win the big game. I`ve heard it manyn times that his O-line was pathetic, he didn`t have the same quality WRs as Russell, on and on. Simply put, these are just excuses. You are correct is saying Russell has the best arm to ever come out of college but when you speak of Brady`s arm, I think you are being very generous. His arm is OK, it is not great by any means. I rememebr hearing the same thing about Carr`s arm when he came out of college. Quinn has trouble with the deep and intermediate ball. Not that this would preclude him from having success in the NFL -and conversely, Russell`s arm does not guarantee success (see Jeaf George)- but let`s not overstate the guy`s arm.
You talk about Quinn`s work ethic, which while admirable, also does not translate into success. There is something very off putting about Quinn (****iness, sense of self entitlement) that I just don`t like, and I think will hurt him throughout his career. The comparisons to Brady are just laughable. Trust me, Brady QUinn will not come close to Tom Brady as far as success is concerned. Incidentally, you mention that you want a guy who is not friendly with the competition. Well, I think that is a lot of hooey. You can be friendly ( Tom Brady and J Taylor) and still be fierce competitors. Sometimes, the false animosity that exists between competing teams can distract from the game at hand, especially when you`re talking about a QB.
I`ve said it many times before on this site: Brady Quinn is one of the most overrated players to come out of college in a long while. He has been hyped primarily beacuse he plays for the Fighting Irish, America`s favourite college football team. He may have some success in the NFL, but to compare him to Brady, or even Peyotn for that matter, is a big stretch. If he falls to us at nine, I think we would be well served to trade out of the position and get some more picks. Brady Quinn is not the answer.

It may cost less but the gamble is less likely to succeed. There are a lot of non-1st round QB's that pass through the draft and very few are currently starters. You aren't going to find a Tom Brady everywhere all the time in the draft. Stanton, if he does succeed, will probably need 3-5 years to groom to a decent level as a starter. Likewise for Edwards, though considering I have a strong anti-Stanford bias, I would think he'd never become anything more than a NFL Europe football backup.

There are a plenty of 1st round QB's that don't become franchise QB's or even decent QB's. Taking a QB in the first round does not mean he will become a franchise player. Draft status is way overrated.

we would have to trade up into the top 3 to get him, Detriot is expected to go QB and so is Oakland and Cleveland. so the top 3 in no particular order will be C.Johnson, J.Russel, and B.Quinn

Kudos. Sums up about everything.

There are a plenty of 1st round QB's that don't become franchise QB's or even decent QB's. Taking a QB in the first round does not mean he will become a franchise player. Draft status is way overrated.

Of course. But usually QB's that have consistently been regarded as a 1st round pick throughout their college careers tend to fare well rather than flash in the pans.

Kudos. Sums up about everything.

Of course. But usually QB's that have consistently been regarded as a 1st round pick throughout their college careers tend to fare well rather than flash in the pans.
And on what basis did you reach that conclusion. Need I remind you of Ryan Leaf, David Carr, Akilli Smith, Joey HArrington. All of these guys were touted-and touted throughout their careers- as being first roundetrs. SOme even said they were can`t miss prospects. The QB position is the hardest to fill. I`m not opposed to drafting a QB in the first but I am if his name is Brady Quinn. Don`t believe the hype.
If there is a QB who deserves this hype, it should be Russell.

And on what basis did you reach that conclusion. Need I remind you of Ryan Leaf, David Carr, Akilli Smith, Joey HArrington. All of these guys were touted-and touted throughout their careers- as being first roundetrs. SOme even said they were can`t miss prospects. The QB position is the hardest to fill. I`m not opposed to drafting a QB in the first but I am if his name is Brady Quinn. Don`t believe the hype.
If there is a QB who deserves this hype, it should be Russell.

The last 3 were Tedford QB's. Scouts now know that Tedford QB's really suck in the pros and are no longer touted. Ryan Leaf is what happens when you pick brawn over brain, which could be the case with Russell.

Back
Top Bottom