[Merged] Fins giving Quinn a private workout | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[Merged] Fins giving Quinn a private workout

Far too many people think that Brady Quinn is Tom Brady simply because Charlie Weiss is Quinn's coach. I think Quinn will be closer to Joey Harrington then Tom Brady when he gets to the NFL. I think Quinn has bust written all over him. I hope we don't draft him.

[mod] please keep on topic, this will only get you warning points, post about the topic, not about posters [/mod]

For those of you who think draft position doesn't matter lets take a look at that.
Over the past 10 years here.

1st round
Vince Young ~ Starting
Matt Leinart ~ Starting
Jay Cutler ~ Starting
Alex Smith ~ Starting
Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell
Eli Manning ~ Starting
Philip Rivers ~ Starting
Ben Roethlisberger ~ Starting
J.P. Losman ~ Starting
Carson Palmer ~ Starting
Byron Leftwich ~ Starting
Kyle Boller ~
Rex Grossman ~ Starting
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Patrick Ramsey
Michael Vick ~ Starting
Chad Pennington ~ Starting
Tim Couch
Donovan McNabb ~ Starting
Akili Smith
Daunte Culpepper ~ ?
Cade McNown
Peyton Manning ~ Starting
Ryan Leaf
Jim Druckenmiller

2nd and 3rd rounds
Kellen Clemens
Tarvaris Jackson
Charlie Whitehurst
Brodie Croyle
Charlie Frye
Matt Schaub ~ Starting
Dave Ragone
Chris Simms
Josh McCown
Drew Brees ~ Starting
Quincy Carter
Marques Tuiasosopo
Giovanni Carmazzi
Chris Redman
Shaun King
Brock Huard ~ Starting (presumedly)
Charlie Batch
Jonathan Quinn
Brian Griese
Jake Plummer

you can make the case that the top 3 won't be as I suggested and I could be wrong, I admit that. but my point is that Brady Quinn won't make it past Cleveland at #3. I like Quinn as much as anyone but we aren't going to be able to get him unless we trade into the top 3.
You could be right about Quinn going in the top three but I`m fine with another NFL team making such a mistake. As long as we don`t take Quinn at nine, or god forbid trade jup to take him, then I`ll be a happy camper.

Draft guru...:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: Sorry, but this is just too funny. I find it hilarious that there are so many on this site that take CK and Boomer`s word as gospel. Hey, it`s great that they contribute and spend some time writing posts and doing `` analysis``` but why is it that any time someone differs form their opinions, out comes an army of their defenders screaming `` don`t you dare knock the word of the high priests of football. I`ve been banned for disagreeing with Boomer in the past, and I`m sure there will be mods out there just waiitng to put another ban on me for this message trail.
At the end of the day, CK took quite a bit of space to dismiss my point. Obviously a raw nerve was touched. Sometimes the truth hurts. What ever happened to the notion of just ignoring somethingn that you thought was ridiculous. I suspect that CK`s urge to resppond was based on the fact that , like many others in the know, I can see Brady Quinn for what he is , which is an over hyped player whose chances of success in the NFL are not great. CK has been praising this guy for quite some time now, and I suspect he may be a little embarassed that his prediction is being challenged.
My suggestion to you CK is to get over it. We are all wrong at some point in our lives. Even if you have spent hours (maybe even days) anaylysing Quinn, it won`t make him a better player.

I agree. I highly doubt that any fans on this site spend more time analyzing a player more then teams scouts or independent scouts do. I would take the opinion of a scout over any fans opinion. After all, the scout has been around football, in some cases, for many years and spends countless hours attending games in person and breaking down film. They also go to the scouting combine and attend on-campus workouts. They get to know players inside and out. Both the physical and mental aptitude of the player going clear back to the players high school days.

I agree. I highly doubt that any fans on this site spend more time analyzing a player more then teams scouts or independent scouts do. I would take the opinion of a scout over any fans opinion. After all, the scout has been around football, in some cases, for many years and spends countless hours attending games in person and breaking down film. They also go to the scouting combine and attend on-campus workouts. They get to know players inside and out. Both the physical and mental aptitude of the player going clear back to the players high school days.

With that being said....at Quinns pro day....I think the consensus all around was that the scouts were very pleased with what they saw. All came away impressed to the point his stock had went up.

phinphanforever:

I happen to enjoy all sides of the draft debate, and everyone knows that we're not all going to agree 100% of the time. But dude, if you're going to tell someone they are wrong point blank, please state an argument. "Hasn't won a big game" kinda lost all merit after the last Superbowl, don't you think?

For those of you who think draft position doesn't matter lets take a look at that.
Over the past 10 years here.

1st round
Vince Young ~ Starting
Matt Leinart ~ Starting
Jay Cutler ~ Starting
Alex Smith ~ Starting
Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell
Eli Manning ~ Starting
Philip Rivers ~ Starting
Ben Roethlisberger ~ Starting
J.P. Losman ~ Starting
Carson Palmer ~ Starting
Byron Leftwich ~ Starting
Kyle Boller ~
Rex Grossman ~ Starting
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Patrick Ramsey
Michael Vick ~ Starting
Chad Pennington ~ Starting
Tim Couch
Donovan McNabb ~ Starting
Akili Smith
Daunte Culpepper ~ ?
Cade McNown
Peyton Manning ~ Starting
Ryan Leaf
Jim Druckenmiller

2nd and 3rd rounds
Kellen Clemens
Tarvaris Jackson
Charlie Whitehurst
Brodie Croyle
Charlie Frye
Matt Schaub ~ Starting
Dave Ragone
Chris Simms
Josh McCown
Drew Brees
Quincy Carter
Marques Tuiasosopo
Giovanni Carmazzi
Chris Redman
Shaun King
Brock Huard ~ Starting (presumedly)
Charlie Batch
Jonathan Quinn
Brian Griese
Jake Plummer
I have no idea what this post is supposed to prove. It seems that about half of the players noted in the first round are not starting, so according to your theory, at best you have a 50% chance iof starting. Second, how many of those starters will be starting in the future or doing anything of value. Take Losman for example, he may be starting but I think that is more of an indication of the state of the QB posiiton ion Buffalo than anyhting else.
I also notice that Tom Brady, Bulger and Hasselback -three players who not only start but are consistently league leaders- were all drafted in the sixth round. There are others such as Delhomme that didn`t even get drafted.
Just because you are drafted in the first, there is no guarantte that you are good. As countless GMs have shown, mistakes happen.

With that being said....at Quinns pro day....I think the consensus all around was that the scouts were very pleased with what they saw. All came away impressed to the point his stock had went up.

That's because this draft is weak at qb. I'll bet all you people who want Quinn now are those same people who wanted Alex Smith. You all can rest easy, and I will laugh as you all cry when we dont select Brady Quinn. If we do select him no need to ban me. I will ban myself. However, after day one of the draft I'll bring a giant box of tissues because I ain't going anywhere. One of these days you'll be thinking yourself we didn't also. He is way over hyped. He was the qb for the college football team who has the largest TV contract in the NCAA. So ofcourse interest in him will be scewed.

That's because this draft is weak at qb. I'll bet all you people who want Quinn now are those same people who wanted Alex Smith. You all can rest easy, and I will laugh as you all cry when we dont select Brady Quinn. If we do select him no need to ban me. I will ban myself. However, after day one of the draft I'll bring a giant box of tissues because I ain't going anywhere. One of these days you'll be thinking yourself we didn't also. He is way over hyped. He was the qb for the college football team who has the largest TV contract in the NCAA. So ofcourse interest in him will be scewed.

Truth be told....I would rather have an OL or WR in rd 1. Only WR I see is CJ but there is really no way we will get him. Maybe Drew Stanton in the 2nd is a possibility. What do you think about him? Who would you like for us to look at as far as a QB?

I really wasn't trying to make a point just posting the facts and thought I would let the rest of you judge them. But since you asked. Of course I don't think drafting a guy in the first round means he is a sure deal. But I do realize, which I think the facts show, that you have a better chance of finding a starting caliber QB in the first round than you do later rounds. Sure you can always find one every now and then but no one talks about all of the guys that don't make it in the later rounds. If you want to talk 6th round and later I could come up with a huge list of guys you and I have never heard of because they never did anything in the NFL. A few success stories doesn't mean that you are just as likely to find a great QB in the later rounds as you are the first. Even if it is only 50/50 in the first round, the point is that the % continues to go down as the draft order does. It is far less than 50% in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and beyond that I would be willing to bet it is below 10%. When you get to 6th, 7th and undrafted, it is probably about 1%. My point is only to say that draft order does matter, and if you want to find a great QB you have a lot better chances of finding them in the first than you do later. That sounds like an obvious statement but reading these post, one wouldn't think so.

I really wasn't trying to make a point just posting the facts and thought I would let the rest of you judge them. But since you asked. Of course I don't think drafting a guy in the first round means he is a sure deal. But I do realize, which I think the facts show, that you have a better chance of finding a starting caliber QB in the first round than you do later rounds. Sure you can always find one every now and then but no one talks about all of the guys that don't make it in the later rounds. If you want to talk 6th round and later I could come up with a huge list of guys you and I have never heard of because they never did anything in the NFL. A few success stories doesn't mean that you are just as likely to find a great QB in the later rounds as you are the first. Even if it is only 50/50 in the first round, the point is that the % continues to go down as the draft order does. It is far less than 50% in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and beyond that I would be willing to bet it is below 10%. When you get to 6th, 7th and undrafted, it is probably about 1%. My point is only to say that draft order does matter, and if you want to find a great QB you have a lot better chances of finding them in the first than you do later. That sounds like an obvious statement but reading these post, one wouldn't think so.

I know what your saying Kendall. To be honest, trying to find a legit QB that will start is a crap shoot. Not all Qb's are cut out for NFL life weather it is Rd 1 or undrafted FA. It isn't an exact science. Yes there are a select few that turn out great in the 1st round...some in the later rounds. Like I said...it is a crap shoot. Thing is, if you (scouts) have been monitoring them for a while..watching them grow in games and practices...they would know and pass it on to our FO. I am sure if our FO is hell bent on getting Quinn....then they see something no one else does. I trust our FO no matter who we draft in this up coming draft.

heh. This is the post of the month .. I agree 100%

I disagree and I'll post a quote because I couldn't say this better myself

Exactly. Rick Mirer my ***. This kid was a 4 year starter and shattered records before Weis even got there, so he isn;t a product of the system. He did all that with a bad coach, poor media turmoil, and a bad team. Then Weis got there and Quinn got even BETTER. The kid EXCELLS in the same offense Tom Brady has made a dynasty on. The kid was coached by the same guy who brought Brady from 6th round to stardom. He is the most NFL ready QB I've seen lately.

He "chokes" in big games? I guess nobody was watching that USC comeback last ear, which HE led, and it was nothing short of heroic. Notre Dame won that game, the blown call cost them that actual W. The Sugar Bowl? Yea, poor performance, but it was one game. Jamarcus Russell had a "great" performance and it was only ONE game and he skyrocketed. Besides, Quinn's Defense lost that game, they looked like Junior Midget pop warner players out there. Don't fauly Quinn for his defense (or lackthereof). Put these two QBs on equal teams (same players, same plays, facng the same schemes) and I bet Brady blows Russell away.

Back
Top Bottom