Merged: Hey Boomer / Boomer on Day 1 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Hey Boomer / Boomer on Day 1

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
I went to bed at 3am. I got up at 7.35am.

I am tired. So this won't be a definitive review, that will come when it's all said and done.

I thought in the past couple of weeks that Brady Quinn might slip to 9. As each pick went by, I thought we were going to get him. Then someone said that Adam Schefter had said it might not be Quinn.

Buh?

Suddenly those four visits with Ginn came into my head. Randy pledging the need for speed and immediate impact.

It had to be #7.

So whilst I was disappointed we didn't get Quinn, that disappointment was tempered by the fact we took Ginn, a ridiculous playmaker. I've said this many times before, but he provides an X-Factor to this offense, the like of which we might never have seen. Ginn will play flanker. He will play in the slot. He will go deep on anyone. He will run screens. He will run reverses. He will line up at QB, he will take pitches. He will take the #1 CB and run him all over the field.

That is a weapon.

And can we just dispel some rumours?

1. Not injury prone. Never, ever had an injury, not playing CB, WR, RB, QB, KR, S, PR at HS. Not at OSU, returning 94 punts and catching 135+ passes.

2. Can work the middle. More than 60% of Ginn's receptions at OSU came over the middle.

3. Will beat press. Watch him play Leon Hall, watch him play Aaron Ross. Both those boys went in R1 and both of them got done by Ginn.

4. He has a ligament damaged, mid foot sprain. Not a twisted ankle.

5. Is a lot more than just a ST player.

I'm real excited about this pick, a pick Miami has been waiting to make since scouting Santonio Holmes.

Getting John Beck was a boon. I brought him up in my draft review last year as a QB to watch and have banged his drum consistently since then. He has a strong arm, is a great kid, has touch and can make NFL throws. I've said it a lot, but he's Rich Gannon with a better arm. I love the pick. And he could easily have gone late 1.

Of course the $64,000 question is, are Ginn and Beck better than say Quinn and Steve Smith? That's one for the ages.

Samson Satele is a guy we've had on the radar for ages. And when my OL guru Mr Clean likes a lineman, that makes me happy. I've seen a lot of him whilst drooling over Colt Brennan and he can play. He's nasty, he's mobile, he's strong as an Ox, he's versatile and whilst he needs run blocking work, his pass blocking skills are very good. Houck ran his workout and it's a solid pick and a better fit than Ryan Kalil. Jesse Sapolu is the name people bring up and that's a hell of a pick if he bears that out.

And finally on day 1, a guy I called to Chris in one of our draft chats and who I called in the chat room yesterday. I knew Miami had a strong interest from the FSU boards and Gene Dot Com and he'll add that Reggie Bush ability, that Leon Washington ability to our offense. Good speed, good hands, he'll play back, he'll go out wide, hell he gives us so many options. And lest we not forget, TFY said he could go late 1. This is a great pick and a decent day 1. Lets remember that Booker played behind a pretty awful line at FSU and with Weatherford and his WR's struggling, they loaded up to stop the one real talent - Booker. And he STILL averaged 5.1 a carry.

Our offense just got a whole lot better. Beck/CPep/Green with Ronnie, Ricky and Book, throwing to CC, Ginn, Marty, Hagan, Martin and the ability to get real creative with CC, Ginn, Lo Booker and Ronnie. That's a good feeling.

And make no mistake; the offensive skill positions in Miami are a lot stronger collectively than Cameron ever had in San Diego. And he was considered an offensive genius with less.

God only knows what he'll do with more.

And 6 more picks today. I think Doug Free has to be a strong possibility, what with the Carey news. Josh Gattis is another early. Kelly Tavalou, Bushrod, Brett Ratliff, Deslauriers, Logan Payne, Jake Nordin, Beekman, Allen Barbre, Adam Koets, Quarterman, Manny Ramirez, Ray McDonald, Marcus Thomas, Akeem Jordan, Fred Bennett, Condren......all bear watching.

But I'd say a solid B+ for day 1.

Great read Boomer,was waiting the whole night for you and CK´s imput thanks.

i waited up all night to see what you were going to say-i cant say that i agree and im really disapointed but you giving your stamp of approval does lessen the blow just a little bit

These are good players we picked, Soldia. And we have 6 more today.

;)

I was hoping we would hear from you Boomer. Its always great to read your posts as you always bring great insight to the draft discussions. With that being said I'm going to get some shut eye so I can be up at the start of round 4 later today.

Nice Boomer and thanks for the break down.

Quick question though.

Say you go back in time and never knew about this guys NFL career.

You have either him or Ginn, who do you pick comming out of college and why?

Randall Hill or Ted Ginn, Jr.

Just curious as to the difference in the two players.

Boomer, Beck seems to have a little Brett F. savy in him, he reminds me of Brett a whole lot watching some of the film.

Boomer, I just want to thank you for bringing some sanity back to this board. Unfortunately, for every one post like this, there's ten "OMG GINN SUXXORZZ!1!! BRADY QUINN IS TEH BEST!!!1!!!"

Or how about the middle ground who feel as if the Phins took great players in the first three picks, but passed on an opportunity boat? Not many on that...

Agree with you on the first three picks. I absolutely love them, but I hate the Booker pick. I fear he's going to be the next Travis Minor. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Plenty of picks left. Let's hope we make the most of them...

KC lowered the asking price for Green to a fourth round pick. Do you think the pick will go for Green or will Mueller continue to wait KC out?

No way we deal a fourth for Green. Green doesn't want to play anywhere else, meaning no other team will deal for him because he refuses to renegotiate with anybody other than Miami. In other words, we are not going to end up overpaying for a year or two of service from Green.

We'll get Green for a 2008 conditional draft pick, or a 6th or 7th tomorrow.

great post boomer......i agree with you 100% we finally have players on the offense side of the ball that actually can run

Agree with you on the first three picks. I absolutely love them, but I hate the Booker pick. I fear he's going to be the next Travis Minor. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Plenty of picks left. Let's hope we make the most of them...

He is much more talented than Travis Minor, he actually could have been a top RB in the nation if he had a better supporting offense at FSU. Highly recruited . . . he boldly predicted breaking FSU school records last season . . . . lol he probably didn't realize that he played offense and not defense . . . but I LOVE the pick . . . speed, speed, speed . . . something this offense has lacked for a long, long time.

Back
Top Bottom