Merged: Hey Boomer / Boomer on Day 1 | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Hey Boomer / Boomer on Day 1

I'm not too sure, but I noticed that he knows when to get his hands up and block passes and kicks, and given his physical gifts and his level of play, I suspect he dominated on special teams against that competition.

My favorite play in that highlight film is after he's been cut blocked and he gets back up to close in on the cornerback, he uses his lightning quick hands to knock the ball out of the QB's hand even before he can get to him to sack him. It's just unbelievable how fast his hands are on that play.

The one where he blows by his blocker (RT), blows up the back (FB), and then sacks the QB as the other tackle (LT) is trying to plow him over really shows Kroy's strength. The fact that he slams QB's down hard is another thing I like from my defense players, a bit of an intimidating presence. :up:

Hey Boomer:

What are your thoughts on some late WR's we might be looking at with our 5th-7th rd picks (if we receive a comp. pick). Also, which TE do you see we are targeting in the late 2nd-4th rd. range in order of preference.

I am keeping an eye on at the combine WR's like:

1. Eddie Royal- not sure he will be there
2. Jordy Nelson
3. Keenan Burton
4. Dexter Jackson
5. Adrian Arrington
6. De' Cody ***g

and TE's like:

1. John Carlson
2. Martin Rucker
3. Kellen Davis
4. Brad Cottom
5. Darrell Strong

Thanks for your insight as always-

I have been a long time reader, but recently I have started to post some opinions and such.

P.S. I am pumped up with the Canes draft class.

I'm not too sure, but I noticed that he knows when to get his hands up and block passes and kicks, and given his physical gifts and his level of play, I suspect he dominated on special teams against that competition.
I asked around and found out a bit more on him. He played DE and has a serious nonstop motor, he did a great job getting into the backfield, as well as sniffing out the screens. When he did drop into coverage, he did well breaking up passes and making the tackle. He was also a standout on ST's. Some sites have him listed as a late round pick and some have him as an UDFA. I guess the switch to LB and the fact that he went to a smaller college will cause him to go late.

The guy that I spoke to said he watched Jared Allen for 4 years and he thinks that Kroy could be better.

I'd like to know what Boomer, ck and KB think about him.

The types of interceptions he has thrown are meaningless when evaluating him. Foot speed and arm strength are the only two things holding him back from being a consensus number one overall

Can you expand on how Ryan's INTs are meaningless when evaluating him? Sure he forced some balls, but I've seen him throw plenty of INTs due not reading the defense correctly (e.g. locking in on the CB but failing to see the S or LB providing help). Obviously in the pros the ability to read a defense is even more important, so major issues in college seems like a meaningful part of the evaluation to me.

Agree. 19 ints (an almost 3-2 TD-int ratio) are not meaningless, especially when talking about a #1 pick.
Compare to Beck's 32-8 senior td-int.

Can you expand on how Ryan's INTs are meaningless when evaluating him? Sure he forced some balls, but I've seen him throw plenty of INTs due not reading the defense correctly (e.g. locking in on the CB but failing to see the S or LB providing help). Obviously in the pros the ability to read a defense is even more important, so major issues in college seems like a meaningful part of the evaluation to me.

Nope, only thing that matters is arm strength and footwork. Ever. You can't teach those two.

:sidelol:

Hey Boomer , whats your take on Earl Bennett wr from Vanderbuilt? He's a favorite of mine and i'm just wondering what your take on him is :)

Agree. 19 ints (an almost 3-2 TD-int ratio) are not meaningless, especially when talking about a #1 pick.
Compare to Beck's 32-8 senior td-int.

I know you are just referring to senior year, but here is something to consider. Over his career his Td to int ration is very similar to Carson Palmer who was a number one overall pick. So to some degree his td to int ratio is meaningless.He is being judged much on potential and his skillset as well as size.

Carson Palmer 59 % comp percentage 62 Td's 40 int 9423 yards
Matt Ryan 59 % comp percentage 56 td's 37 int 9313 yards

If stats were the basis of drafting then Ginn would have went much lower as would have Brown.

There are alot of Qb's that have not been successful in the NFL with great td to int ratio's thier senior year. Some of these rations are even better than Beck's. The only guy in that group that has a chance to be a good NFL Qb is Kyle Ortan who just turned 25 and looked decent as he started the last three games of the year. I would bet that he will be the starter for Chicago this season and have always liked him as a prospect. He struggled major as a rookie in 2005 although he won alot of games. For some reason has never been given another chance until late last year.

Bart Hendricks (boise St) 35 tds 8 INt
Chris Weinke (FSU) 33 tds 11 int
David Carr (Fresno ST) 42 tds 7 int
Brandon Domain (BYU) 33 tds 8 int
Joey Harrington (Ore) 23 tds 5 int
Ryan Didwiddle (boise ST) 31 tds 7 int
Jason White (Okla) 35 tds 9 int
Stephen lefors (lou) 20 tds 3 int
Kyle Ortan (pur) 31 tds 5 int
Gino Guidulgi (Cinn) 26 tds 8 int
David Greene (Ga) 20 tds 4 int
Andrew walter (ariZ St) 30 tds 9 int
Timmy chang (haw) 38 tds 13 int
Drew Olson (UCLA) 34 tds 6 int
DJ Shockly (Ga) 24 tds 5 int
Omar Jacobs (BGU) 26 tds 7 int

If Td to int ratio was that big then Brennan would be a canidate for the top pick 131 tds to 42 int over his career.

Hey Boomer , whats your take on Earl Bennett wr from Vanderbuilt? He's a favorite of mine and i'm just wondering what your take on him is :)

I like him a lot. I think he carries the underrated tag and if he falls into the 3rd round, someone is getting themselves a steal.

Boomer,

First off Thank You for all the information you have been providing; I am sure I can speak for a lot of us who truely appreciate your opinion and dedication to this site.

I think it is safe to say that our #1 Pick comes down to Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, Jake Long, and Matt Ryan. Which of these players have the ability to make the most impact for our team? the more I watch and read about Matt Ryan, I am not certain that he isn't the best player in the draft at a position which is a major question mark for the organization. I heard Mel kiper Jr. say he compares in his grade of Eli Manning and Big Ben. Do we take this guy? Is this guy the ticket to our success?

On the other hand, Chris Long is an absolute monster. Being a Maryland Alumnist and Season-Ticket holder, I have a few chances to play against and watch Chris Long. I was a 3rd String Blocking Tight End who actually gave up a sack to Long. The word I come up with that best describes Chris Long is aggression. I went to the game last year and watched Chris Long almost single handedly dismantle the Terps.

Being a Terp I have watched Matt Ryan and Chris Long, both ACC guys, I just think it comes to these two and ultimatly Long is our guy. What do you think about that?

Also, What's your opinion on us acquiring any more draft picks? Do you think we acquire another 2nd Rounder by Tradeing with Atlanta or by trade Jason Taylor?

Thanks in Advance Boomer

Back
Top Bottom