Merged: Hey Boomer / Boomer on Day 1 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Hey Boomer / Boomer on Day 1

The rich get richer and we get probably the top pick next year in the draft.

At best, Ginn gets 10-15 touch's per game....and thats including returns and thats when he's able to get on the field.

The only possible starter I see is the center.

Thanks Boomer. As usual, great information. I love the draft so far. Are there any players we can steal in the 6th and 7th that may have had a bad senior year or minor injuries that hurt their grade?

All I have a problem with is Ginn at 9 with the risk. He is injured now and out 3 months before we even get a looksie. That means big risk already in any book.

I love the other picks and was more distraught when we got Booker because OL is still lacking any kind of real ooomph and this is what people will start to see when we play the early season. Once again, the musical chairs begins.

I will forever be praying that Ginn does not get even more hurt. I just do not think he will still be around 4 years from now. That says bust to me. That is all people will remember unless Beck ends up being Joe Montana or something remotely close to it. We have a big *** DT now. I still do not see us getting any OL that will do anything to make us better up front unless there is something MuellCam know that I dont. Our weakest link is the OL. Make no mistake about that. And we all know Ginn, Booker, or Beck will not be blocking.

Hey Boomer, I have a few questions for you.

1. If Kalil was still available, do you think we draft him over Satele or do you think we still draft Satele based on fit?

2. I'm pretty surprised we have drafted only one oline so far. Apparently Cam and Houck really believe in Alabi. What do you see our starting oline looking like this season. Will they really move Carey? I would hate to break up the one good side of the line that we do have.

3. As a Colorado Buffalos fan (I know I shouldn't admit that in public right now), what do you think about drafting J.J. Billingsley with our last pick? He is one of the two seniors on the team (Fenton being the other) that I could see actually making an NFL team. His talent always stood out on the field to me but injuries have held back his progress the last two years. As a sophmore, I thought he was looking like an NFL lock. He may not be better than an UFA type now. I'm just curious because I wouldn't mind seeing a Buffalo make our roster.

Thank you in advance.

All I have a problem with is Ginn at 9 with the risk. He is injured now and out 3 months before we even get a looksie. That means big risk already in any book.

I love the other picks and was more distraught when we got Booker because OL is still lacking any kind of real ooomph and this is what people will start to see when we play the early season. Once again, the musical chairs begins.

I will forever be praying that Ginn does not get even more hurt. I just do not think he will still be around 4 years from now. That says bust to me. That is all people will remember unless Beck ends up being Joe Montana or something remotely close to it. We have a big *** DT now. I still do not see us getting any OL that will do anything to make us better up front unless there is something MuellCam know that I dont. Our weakest link is the OL. Make no mistake about that. And we all know Ginn, Booker, or Beck will not be blocking.

Here's the real deal;

Ginn's best year as a receiver was 2006....he had 59 Catches for a total of 781 yds....not even 1000 yds!!!

He had one touchdown as a punt returner and one touchdown as a kickoff returner...and yet the Dolphins used the 9th pick on him in the draft.

Thats against college teams that may have one or two players on defense that may run a 4.3....now in the NFL...he'll face every defender that has great speed.

I sure hope Ginns family can play too....we're going to need them.

Some questions about your assessment:

1) From all of Cameron's comments about Ginn, the main reason we drafted him is for his return capabilities. That is questionable. Would the Dolphins have traded their first round pick for Devin Hester? A top 10 pick for a return man? Most of the over the middle catches Ginn made were on slot plays, quck slants and sit down routes. He has not shown the ability to go 'over the middle' as most analysts have pointed out.
I hope he proves to be a great asset to the team but if he ends up being a 3rd WR and a GREAT return man then this pick is a BUST. Do you agree?

2) John Beck. His extremely low release point is a concern. Res Grossman struggles with this same issue and he has a higher release point than BEck. NOt to mention, considering the number of people of who questioned Brady Quinn's capabilities against top flight defenses, BEck never played against one and he had trouble putting points on the board against BC and Arizona, that's right BC and Arizona. THe concern I have with this pick is that it seems like Cameron islooking for the next Drew Brees. A smallish QB with a below average arm who is accurate and heady is the exception to the rule, not the model for what you go after. I hope BEck turns out to be a Drew Brees type QB but we shall see.

3) The Dolphins could have drafted Brady Quinn - Tony Ugoh - Samson Satele - Yamon Figurs and addressed the same needs with even more emphasis ont he DOlphins most pressing needs. Not to mention, you can insert Sidney Rice, Dwayne Jarrett or Steve Smith as the 2nd pick. Phil Savage, Bill Polian and Ozzie Newsome all valued the players that I just listed. That is a lot of NFL knowledge going against who the Dolphins picked.

Everything I just wrote is strictly from a personnel perspective/opinion but one final point, from a business perspective (perhaps Huizenga's perspective), yesterday was a complete disaster. Just horrible. If the Dolphins had taken Quinn with the 9th pick, the franchise would have had the entire community filled with hope and promise. Ticket sales and marketing dollars would have skyrocketed in the short term. Every kid in South Florida would be clamoring for a Quinn jersey for at least the next 2 years. That is without him doing anything on the field, any success and the sky would have been the limit. The Dolphins had a chance to put a face on the franchise and passed.

As evidenced by Huizenga's comments yesterday, Cameron and Mueller's evaluation skills are now officially on watch, let's hope they are right and the DOlphins start to flourish, it will be disappointing if Dom Capers and the defense carry this team to 8-8 records for the next 3 years.

Re: Beck, he's 6-2 1/8, 215 lbs, heady, quick, great feet, extremely accurate, can throw 75 yards, and has great zip on the ball. What's not to like? Just look at some highlights- his arm is clearly better than Quinn's, and there's not a doubt that he's far more accurate. I'll take him every day and twice on Sundays.

I like our draft- the Ginn/Beck combo? Damn straight. I'm psyched. Then Satele the big center that we apparently were big fans of, a quick multi purpose back in Booker, then the big DT. Nice work, Mueller/Cameron.

I would have liked Doug Free in the 4th, but hey, you can't get everything that you want. What about a flyer on Walter Thomas?

p.s. Boomer I saw a good deal of the Liverpool Chelsea game, sorry that your guys lost. I was trying to key on Gerrard, but it seemed that he was being utilized not nearly enough. I like what I saw of Chelsea's Drogba (sp?). Wow, what a quick, talented player, great assist on that goal. Maybe we can take him with a 7th and make a WR or DB out of him, great quicks on that guy!

Yeah man I ahve changed the draft grade from a C to B. We are having a good draft. Cam is filling in the pieces.

"Re: Beck, he's 6-2 1/8, 215 lbs, heady, quick, great feet, extremely accurate, can throw 75 yards, and has great zip on the ball. What's not to like? Just look at some highlights- his arm is clearly better than Quinn's, and there's not a doubt that he's far more accurate. I'll take him every day and twice on Sundays."

I disagree. Everyone seems to site this youtube highlight as some great indication of arm strength. It is even mislabelled as a 70 yard throw. In actuality, it is a 63 yard throw. Beck gets a running start to throw a hail mary at the end of a half and unloads. He throws it from the 37 yard line all the way to the other goal. He throw it from the far hash and it is almost a straight throw, thrown in the high altitude of Utah. It is pretty obvious that he puts all that he has into it.

Beck will never be able to get a running start in the pocket. Nor will he be playing in the high altitude of Utah when he plays his regular season games in the NFL. Bottom line, BEck has enough arm to be a NFL QB, like Bob Griese, JEff Garcia, Ty Detmer, Jay Fiedler, Koy Detmer, Drew Brees and others but he has a below average arm for the NFL. Look at the arc on all of his throws, short and long.

One thing Beck does exhibit is above average accuracy, that separates him from some of the weak armed QBs I mentioned, one in particular. BEck also doesn't seem to have to take something off of his throws to maintain accuracy, that is a plus.

I hope Beck's delivery presents no problems and he turns out to be the second coming of BRees, we need him to. It is obvious that our coaching staff thinks he is better than Quinn, we shall see.

Love it.....this draft is a solid A, and could be a firm A+ in hindsight.

I love the speed and playmakers we added to O side (and special teams), love the OL (C/G) versatility. A big bruising FB body, and our QB of the future.

The DT, ILB, and DE picks showed nice value. And finally a P, no problems there.

Great job by our FO.

Finally a positive spin on yesterday, very well done sir Boomer! Can't wait on todays assesment!

I disagree. Everyone seems to site this youtube highlight as some great indication of arm strength. It is even mislabelled as a 70 yard throw. In actuality, it is a 63 yard throw. Beck gets a running start to throw a hail mary at the end of a half and unloads. He throws it from the 37 yard line all the way to the other goal. He throw it from the far hash and it is almost a straight throw, thrown in the high altitude of Utah. It is pretty obvious that he puts all that he has into it.

The NFL QB competition pits the "best" Qb's in the league and the majority of them barely throw 60-70yds in a down the field Competition. The bigger factor is "timing" and "feel".

Miami was apparently trying to trade down, but no one was interested so they had to take Ginn @ #9.

One would now think Miami was trying to "sell" Quinn along with Weis and everyone else believing he'd fall to #9 and someone would bite. Didn't happen. Everyone knew Quinn was not worth the #9 overall and thus he slipped.

I guess they could have taken Carriker at #9, but whatever. The Ginn pick is higher risk, but a/higher reward.

Boomer, I am curious to read your reply to some of these. Particularly:

1) Ted Ginn - If his value is only as a return man was the pick far below value. In other words, if Ginn is not a consistent number 1 or number 2 WR what are your thoughts on using a top 10 pick on him?

2) John Beck - Does his low delivery point concern you? Are you concerned the Dolphins are using the exception to the rule (Drew Brees) as their model?

I like the Dolphins picks after the first two. Satele and Soliai should contribute next year and the punting job should be Fields' to lose. Booker could provide some value as well on ST and 3rd downs. It will be a concern though if the Dolphins don't have a few every down starters (non Special Teams) from a draft that had 10 picks, four in the first 4 rounds, and coming off of a 6-10 season.

Overall, this draft feels like 1998 to me. Taking a return guy in the 1st (Avery vs. Ginn) some starters/contributors in rounds 2 - 4 (Mixon/Brommel vs, Satele/Soliai) and some guys who make the roster in the other rounds such as Shannon and Bundren. Mixon actually performed at a high level before going ot MInnesota. The real key to this comparison though, is that someone from this draft has to perform at a Pro Bowl level like Patrick Surtain for this draft to even be considered comparable to that one. We all hope that it is either Ginn or Beck but they don't look like that type of player. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom