Merged: Insight into Sparano's more aggressive approach | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Insight into Sparano's more aggressive approach

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y..._tony_sparano_chad_henne_miami_dolphins082211

Great quotes:

“The people that I worked for before, [low-risk play-calling is] how they approached it,” said Sparano, who was brought to Miami by former team executive Bill Parcells after Sparano worked for Parcells in Dallas. “Nevertheless, this game has really changed and it has really changed in our division. If you don’t score points in our division, you’re going to have a hard time winning football games. So we have to do a better job of generating big plays, generating more scores and even though we feel like we have one of the best defenses in the league, we’d like them to play a little less.

“I spent a lot of time looking at myself in the mirror, knowing that I need to make the change. Obviously, three-quarters of my staff on offense is new [headed by new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll]. That’s something that I felt we had to do. I feel like Brian’s style is more aggressive … [But] it started with me with big plays and how hard we had to work to advance the ball down field in the past. That’s where I had to look at myself and say, ‘I’m the CEO of the football part of it. If I see it broke, I have to fix it and it has to start with me.’ We couldn’t crawl down the field anymore.”

Got to give him some credit for changing an offensive mentality that has been drilled into him since he first started coaching... Its a good thing Parcells left when he did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this and I don't like this. I wish it wasn't public. It kind of shows his hand a bit - in certain situations, opposing coaches are going to know he's forcing himself to be aggressive. I'd rather he said he was still going to be conservative and then do something different.

I respect anyone who's willing to change his ways to keep up with the ever-changing NFL. *COUGHDANHENNINGHACKCOUGH*

i can't believe sparano may have actually finally figured out that you can't win in this league playing for fgs...i'm shocked and excited all at the same time...i just hope these words don't become hollow once the games that count start

go for the jugular...when you have the opposition staggering drop the hammer on their *****...it would be nice to see an aggressive balls to the wall mentality for once...

you already know win or the uhauls out front...if you're going out go out with guns a blazin

So ... now instead of the conservative fistpump, he'll be performing the more aggressive cartwheel? :lol:

Seriously though, I'm not sure this is really news. Ross already tried to replace him & he has been very public about wanting a more aggressive outlook on O.

If Tony doesn't realize he's on the hot seat, then he deserves whatever the hell happens to him.

Glad to know it wasn't him that was going full retard with the play calling. But it disturbs me he let Dan Henning walk all over him like that. I don't a **** how old he is.. dude almost cost him his job.

You'll still see plenty of this
63407_JoeLouisfist2-1.jpg

honestly, it was a hell of a wake up call he went though, how he's responded to it has been phenominal. I go ahead and say the obvious, it would've been great if he could've changed his ways sooner.

I just think about Henning...

String together a couple first downs, get on the other side of the 50, out comes the wildcat...

I hope to god we see some more aggression this season... let Chad have the chance to get in a rhythm and not have to fight out of 2nd and 3rd and longs all season.

Took this long to figure that out??? Do what you gotta do fist pumper!

I like this and I don't like this. I wish it wasn't public. It kind of shows his hand a bit - in certain situations, opposing coaches are going to know he's forcing himself to be aggressive. I'd rather he said he was still going to be conservative and then do something different.

If you're an aggressive coach, people will already know you're aggressive. It isn't something you can hide.

I just hope this doesn't make him go coo-coo bananas on the field and do crazy things like go for 4th and 10s on our end of the field and whatnot. He needs to find the right balance. Being over-aggressive can really bite you in the arse - just ask Bill Belicheat when he went for it on 4th down against the colts on primetime TV and blew the game. Or even in the Superbowl in '08, when he went for it on 4th down AGAIN, when he could have easily went for a moderate difficulty field goal. It'd have been a 17-17 game!

Here's to many TD fist pumps in 2011!

As crazy as it is that it took him this long to figure this out, I'm glad he's finally figured it out. I expect a big step for this offense. I can't bash his change. I'm excited for it.

Back
Top Bottom