Votes: 8 12.5%

Votes: 17 26.6%

Votes: 35 54.7%

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's not quite true. Tom Brady wasn't anything amazing at Michigan. Look at him now.

I'd say the most important factors of a pro QB, are pocket awareness, good accuracy, good arm strength, and toughness. You can't have a good QB without those factors.

Jaj said:
Well that's not quite true. Tom Brady wasn't anything amazing at Michigan. Look at him now.

I'd say the most important factors of a pro QB, are pocket awareness, good accuracy, good arm strength, and toughness. You can't have a good QB without those factors.

Pocket awareness, arm strength, and toughness are definetly very important qualities for a QB. But I was talking strictly stats. I should have clarified.

SCall13 said:
Pocket awareness, arm strength, and toughness are definetly very important qualities for a QB. But I was talking strictly stats. I should have clarified.

Oh well yes, that's true. I'll admit that. Kyle Boller(regardless if you think he's done or not) had one big problem and that was accuracy. I really don't even consider QBs as legitimate starters anymore if they can't hit above 57% or so in college.

Jaj said:

Not to diminish your point, but actually Tom Brady was quite amazing at Michigan, depending on who you talk to. Nick Saban certainly noticed. When Michigan put Henson in during their 1999 game Nick and staff were saying "thank god"

Jaj said:
Oh well yes, that's true. I'll admit that. Kyle Boller(regardless if you think he's done or not) had one big problem and that was accuracy. I really don't even consider QBs as legitimate starters anymore if they can't hit above 57% or so in college.

Exactly. 57% in the NFL is not too bad. In college, it is a little bit of a concern.

Brady shared time with Griese for the first few games then Brian took over and went on to win the NC. The next year Brady was in as the starter and he did pretty good but nothing that would make you say he'd become what he has.
I remember saying back then that he's make a good backup and maybe a starter someday after a 4 or five years of experiance, but I guess i was wrong. :lol: He took right off.

I think this is the year to go O line and really help bring out the best in the skilled position players on offense. The tackles are so deep this year, and it's a relatively low-risk position to draft in the 1st. And I think Cutler will be long gone anyway. If Quinn were coming out it might be a different story. Marcus McNeill is a guy I really like, which would give us a line like this:

LT -- Carey
LG -- James
C -- Hadnot
LG -- Fonoti (FA signing)
RT -- McNeill

That's a very similar O line to the one Linehan had in Minnesota when he had the #1 ranked offense in the league in 2003. Every single player on this line would be a roadgrader, and the size of the linemen would give our QB all day to make the vertical part of the offense work like it should. Throw a free agent H-back like Brandon Manumaleuna in there (6'2" 288) and you really have something. McMichael would be our receiving TE and Manumaleuna would be our blocking TE.

This is our shot to move from a middle-of-the-pack O line to a very dominant one in only one offseason.

Something that you have to think about also is the fact that he played at Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt is never good. (ie. he looks good because he's playing with a bunch of scrubs when in fact he's a bum)

Saban commented that arm strength, accuracy and decision making rate highest in his judgment. I've read that Cutler's accuracy is quesitonable.

Well if Kleinsasser is available, you have to get him. He could be cut, who knows...

Yes Fonoti would be a nice signing, that's a very nice OL.

As for Cutler's arm strength it's at 59% which isn't great but it's ok for a pro prospect.

SCall13 said:
I'm all for drafting a "franchise QB". But I hope, and don't think, Saban will reach for a QB with so many needs and pretty strong draft coming up. Cutler would be a nice pick if we could get him in round 2, but it looks like someone desperate may grab Cutler earlier than he should go. The reason I think we should be wary of him is because of his relatively low completion percentage and his unimpressive TD to INT ratio. I realize he hasn't been on the best of teams and he has played some stiff competition. But good college quarterbacks, the type who excel in the NFL, really standout in spite of those things. I know stats aren't everything. But those two are the most important QB stats, IMO: Comp. % and TD/INT ratio. Just a thought.

and you dont think hes standing out why?

hes on a 5-6 football team, in probably the best conference in CFB. and hes a lock to be a top 20 pick in the draft. scouts rave about him.

sounds like hes standing out to me.

Jaj said:
Well if Kleinsasser is available, you have to get him. He could be cut, who knows...

Yes Fonoti would be a nice signing, that's a very nice OL.

As for Cutler's arm strength it's at 59% which isn't great but it's ok for a pro prospect.

:confused:

Nappy Roots said:
and you dont think hes standing out why?

hes on a 5-6 football team, in probably the best conference in CFB. and hes a lock to be a top 20 pick in the draft. scouts rave about him.

sounds like hes standing out to me.

So was Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, David Klingler, etc. And they all stunk up the NFL. The point is, we shouldn't reach for an average (maybe) QB out of desperation. There are too many other needs on this team and a lot of quality will be there when we pick.

Edit: Also have you thought that maybe he stands out because the QB crop is small. IT isn't like there are many. You have Young, Leinhart, Cutler. There aren't many QBs for the media to hype. So maybe his standing out has as much to do with the media's infatuation with QBs as much as it does his actual ability.

SCall13 said:
So was Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, David Klingler, etc. And they all stunk up the NFL. The point is, we shouldn't reach for an average (maybe) QB out of desperation. There are too many other needs on this team and a lot of quality will be there when we pick.

those were busts. busts happen, if anyone knew how to stop them, they wouldnt draft them year after year.

reaching for a average QB would be drafting a QB @ 16 that experts and scouts dont think deserve to go there. on the other hand, most scouts think Culter is a top 15 prospect. that woudlnt be reaching.

Jaj said:

Would you have said this back when Brady was in college ? Easy to say now after his success....its all a crap shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom