Votes: 8 12.5%

Votes: 17 26.6%

Votes: 35 54.7%

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
sabin will make this pick, but if i were doing the picking and could move up, with out loseing to much mabe a 5 to move up if hes there, i would!! lots of thangs change in the Draft as time gets close, most coachs and GMs 2nd guess there self, on who they think is the best, also romers are started by different people and great players slide down, in the Draft, im sure al of us can remember 1 or 2 probowl players that have been defamed before the Draft!
so who will be the Flavour of the week when the draft weekend comes?
i think we take a QB, Witch one only Sabin knows

capecoralfinfan said:
well the problem with rivers is the fact he doesn't have the arm strength whereas cutler may have the best arm in the draft.

I'm not so sure about Rivers not having decent arm strength either. I watched him in a few games and the senior bowl and yes he was accurate, but he was also throwing 30 yard passes on a frozen rope. Truth is, we don't KNOW what he has as it relates to a true NFL arm until he actually gets some quality playing time. He must have something though, the Chargers are sure keeping him close to the vest.

shouright said:
Hold a lollipop in front of a two-year-old's face, make him want it, and then pull it away from him. What happens?

He wants it more.

This is happening with Cutler people. He was once projected to go in the 2nd round, and then he moved up into the mid-to-late 1st round. These were all places we thought we could get him.

Now that he appears to be moving into the top 10 of the first round, we're seeing our lollipop being taken away, so we're wanting it more. So much more that we're seeing what could be described as "mortgage the farm for him" ideas all over the board (e.g., trading future #1s, trading Ricky, etc.).

This is a mistake, folks, IMO. Sure we need a QB, but we will eventually be successful without Jay Cutler.

We may not be so successful without what we trade to get him.

i know nick isn't that type of coach, however, take a look at the giants. who would say that the giants aren't a better team with eli manning? i'm a firm believer in the fact that we need a solid field general to compete.

endorphin said:
I think the comparison is closer to Philip Rivers personally.

However to answer your question...I don't know if I'd give up too much...MAYBE Sam Madison and our first. I would rather take BPA at 16 and develope a QB that we get in a later round. If Cutler is not there at 16, I wouldn't reaach TOO far for one out of his relative position in the draft.

sorry, for a rookie like me, who is "BPA"

clever thinking. but this happens every year almost. every coach knows what the risks are.

endorphin said:
I'm not so sure about Rivers not having decent arm strength either. I watched him in a few games and the senior bowl and yes he was accurate, but he was also throwing 30 yard passes on a frozen rope. Truth is, we don't KNOW what he has as it relates to a true NFL arm until he actually gets some quality playing time. He must have something though, the Chargers are sure keeping him close to the vest.

you are the first person i've seen use adjectives like "frozen rope" when describing rivers. it wouldn't be the first time i'm wrong though.

Yep, I agree 100%. I used to be chained to the Cutler bandwagon with titanium. I've started to get really sick of the unwarranted hype he's been getting though. I've now got one foot in the Cutler camp, and one foot in the Omar Jacobs/Brodie Croyle/Charlie Whitehurst in the 2nd/3rd camp. I'd be happy with either scenario.

capecoralfinfan said:
i know nick isn't that type of coach, however, take a look at the giants. who would say that the giants aren't a better team with eli manning? i'm a firm believer in the fact that we need a solid field general to compete.

weeelllll....i'd actually say the giants aren't neccessarily a better team with eli...at least not considering the talent they could have picked up with more draft picks. For instance, let's say they hadn't traded up: instead picking up someone like roethlisberger or keeping rivers. They use the other #1 and #2 picks they sent to the chargers to pick up some defense, a cornerback and a linebacker; there's no reason to believe this wouldn't have worked out better for them.

Caps said:
Yep, I agree 100%. I used to be chained to the Cutler bandwagon with titanium. I've started to get really sick of the unwarranted hype he's been getting though. I've now got one foot in the Cutler camp, and one foot in the Omar Jacobs/Brodie Croyle/Charlie Whitehurst in the 2nd/3rd camp. I'd be happy with either scenario.

senerio two would probably not get us a starter for next year though. what veteran are you looking to get to "groom" these middle round prospects.

you're right. but i just don't see us getting lured into selling an arm and leg to get cutler. I really trust saban & co. to make smart moves, such as getting duped by mike tice to move up and take vernon carey...:fire:

shouright said:
Hold a lollipop in front of a two-year-old's face, make him want it, and then pull it away from him. What happens?

He wants it more.

This is happening with Cutler people. He was once projected to go in the 2nd round, and then he moved up into the mid-to-late 1st round. These were all places we thought we could get him.

Now that he appears to be moving into the top 10 of the first round, we're seeing our lollipop being taken away, so we're wanting it more. So much more that we're seeing what could be described as "mortgage the farm for him" ideas all over the board (e.g., trading future #1s, trading Ricky, etc.).

This is a mistake, folks, IMO. Sure we need a QB, but we will eventually be successful without Jay Cutler.

We may not be so successful without what we trade to get him.

agreed. In the end, I trust Saban....If he believes we can do it without Cutler, then i would believe it.

capecoralfinfan said:
you are the first person i've seen use adjectives like "frozen rope" when describing rivers. it wouldn't be the first time i'm wrong though.

Maybe "freezing" and not quite frozen, but I was pretty impressed with him and would have taken him 2nd to Eli....UGGGH would I have been wrong! I'm not too upset though, so were the Chargers and Giants...LOL

The mistake people make is that they think he moved up from a second rounder to top 15 pick in a day, he didn't. Cutler did it over the course of the final 3 weeks of the season vs Florida, Kentucky, & Tennessee, two of those three have pretty good defenses. Cutler finished with 12 TDs, 2 interceptions, 64% completion, & 1071 yards. His stock rose justifiably.

capecoralfinfan said:
senerio two would probably not get us a starter for next year though. what veteran are you looking to get to "groom" these middle round prospects.

Well, I don't think Cutler could start next year either. But regardless, I could deal with keeping Frerotte for another year or two, or getting McCown, McNair, Volek, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom