Votes: 17 26.6%

Votes: 35 54.7%

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
shouright said:
Hold a lollipop in front of a two-year-old's face, make him want it, and then pull it away from him. What happens?

He wants it more.

This is happening with Cutler people. He was once projected to go in the 2nd round, and then he moved up into the mid-to-late 1st round. These were all places we thought we could get him.

Now that he appears to be moving into the top 10 of the first round, we're seeing our lollipop being taken away, so we're wanting it more. So much more that we're seeing what could be described as "mortgage the farm for him" ideas all over the board (e.g., trading future #1s, trading Ricky, etc.).

This is a mistake, folks, IMO. Sure we need a QB, but we will eventually be successful without Jay Cutler.

We may not be so successful without what we trade to get him.

No doubt bouts that. Just think, for the next three months we will hear all about Ricky and trades yadda yadda yadda all because of Jay Cutler. Saban will look at all QB's and he will get one that will lead us just fine. We will be a team, not just a team with a QB, which is what we had in Dan Marino, as much as I love Dan. There are some good QB's in this draft that will not get into anybody's "superhero" list but will be just as good because they let the game come to them, not be the guy who makes the game. Joe Montana is a great example, 3rd round draft choice.

finfan54 said:
No doubt bouts that. Just think, for the next three months we will hear all about Ricky and trades yadda yadda yadda all because of Jay Cutler. Saban will look at all QB's and he will get one that will lead us just fine. We will be a team, not just a team with a QB, which is what we had in Dan Marino, as much as I love Dan. There are some good QB's in this draft that will not get into anybody's "superhero" list but will be just as good because they let the game come to them, not be the guy who makes the game. Joe Montana is a great example, 3rd round draft choice.

well there are many examples of lower round picks becoming great, however, that usually takes a few years and a lucky opportunity.

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]There is always a player every year that gets overhyped.

Last year everybody thought Alex Smith was a 2nd day pick, then all the the sudden Mel Kiper has him projected as the number 1 quarterback in the country.

Also, Ronnie Brown was projected to be a late first as he was ranked the 3rd best running back behind Benson and Williams. And he goes number 2 overall.

There is a lot of bull and propaganda in the couple months leading up to the draft. But just wait until the couple days before the draft, after the coaches and personnel people have their draft boards made up and you will know where these guys really stand. Forget what these chicken littles on cold pizza and NFL network are saying.
[/size][/font]

charlie whitehurst seems like a possibility but..or is closely physically compared to cutler...but inconsistancy is in question.. i wonder if thats coachable or what his deal is

Last year everybody thought Alex Smith was a 2nd day pick, then all the the sudden Mel Kiper has him projected as the number 1 quarterback in the country.

I still projected him as a second day pick, & I was right. So far he's the biggest #1 pick bust ever & I don't think he's going to get any better.

it would be nice to get cutler but he is expected to be in the 1st ten picks we have like 17th or something. this is what i see happining... houston takes linart or young instead of busch so they can trade us carr for williams. think about it young+williams makes a damn good offence with o line improvements leaving us with carr and brown. i like it :dolphins:

SMadison29 said:
I still projected him as a second day pick, & I was right. So far he's the biggest #1 pick bust ever & I don't think he's going to get any better.

Its too early to say that. He hasnt looked good so far, but neither do most rookie QBs.

Frye was a guy I thought looked really good, and we missed him last year also. And hes looked very good so far in Cleveland. I think this year's version of Charlie Frye is Charlie Whitehurst. He had a very good meeting with the Fins the other day- so he is definately a guy to watch out for in the Senior Bowl.

fish920 said:
it would be nice to get cutler but he is expected to be in the 1st ten picks we have like 17th or something. this is what i see happining... houston takes linart or young instead of busch so they can trade us carr for williams. think about it young+williams makes a damn good offence with o line improvements leaving us with carr and brown. i like it :dolphins:
probably not gonnahappen but sounds decent

SMadison29 said:
How can you make a claim like that? Because he struggled as a rookie? That is what usually happens. I'm not saying he is going to be a star, but give the kid a fair chance before you pass judgement. Cutler is a totally different story than Smith though. Smith's rise was based on the fact that he was in a weak draft that was even weaker at QB. He supposedly had a good workout, but that was it. Cutler is moving up because people are starting to look at some film of him because he was burried down there at Vandy. He is also impressing by Senior Bowl practices which Smith never participated in.

As far as trading the farm to get Cutler: It won't take the farm. Trading our 2nd or a future 1st to get someone who could eventually put our team over the top is in no way trading the farm. If Saban feels this guy is what we need then, trading a 2nd is really nothing in the long run.

fish920 said:

Why would they do that when they just signed domanick davis to a multi-year multi million dollar contract? Why would they do that if they were thinking about getting a free agent?

Assuming Cutler is the qb that people think he will be.... i wouldnt think twice about trading our 16 and ricky or madison for like the number 8 overall.

Considering my sig, I shouldnt be hopping off of the Cutler bandwagon, but I am. There have been some very valid points on this board, and he might launch up the way Losman and Cade McNown did, as well as Alex Smith and not be worth anything. I am a big fan now of drafting a guy in the second or third and developing him. Especially since we know he will not be the immediate starter due to the fact that Saban is bringing in a vet.

I can say that because I've seen him play a lot in college & the pros. He's done absolutely nothing to sway my opinion. He doesn't know how to read a defense, he doesn't know how to run a pro offense, doesn't have an arm, his footwork is horrific, he holds onto the ball to long, & doesn't have pocket awareness. That's way to much for him to over come. The 49ers panicked in looking for a franchise QB & made a horrible decision. One that will most likely make Mike Nolan's stay in San Francisco only 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom