MERGED: NBA Labor Agreement / Age Limit | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: NBA Labor Agreement / Age Limit

Prime

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
NBA Close To Labor Peace

The NBA and its players' association are close to agreeing on a new collective bargaining agreement that would institute a new 19-year-old age limit, reduce contract lengths and raise the salary cap, sources close to both negotiating committees said Monday night.

Contract lengths would be reduced by one year. Currently, players can sign a fully guaranteed contract for a maximum of seven years if they re-sign with their current team. Players signing with a new team in free agency can sign a six-year deal. Under the new proposal, maxiumum contract lengths would shorten to five years for players signing with new teams and six years for players re-signing with their current team

Raises in contracts would be reduced. Under the current CBA, players are allowed maximum raises of 12.5 percent per year if they re-sign with their current team and 10 percent if they sign with a different team in free agency. Under the new proposal, raises would be reduced to 10 percent if a player re-signs with his current team and 8 percent if they sign with a different team in free agency.

You can read more in this article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2091116

this is so stupid. if your going to make an age limit, dont make it 19. im agaisnt the age limit, but id rather see it at 20 or 21 than 19.

**** some kids are still gonna be able to go in from high school

Nappy Roots said:
this is so stupid. if your going to make an age limit, dont make it 19. im agaisnt the age limit, but id rather see it at 20 or 21 than 19.

**** some kids are still gonna be able to go in from high school

I wanted it to be 20 as well, this ensures many will be there at least a year though so it's better than nothing.

I also wanted to see 20, but then, I also wanted to see basketball next year. This was a bigger issue to the union than the owners (for whatever reason), so they got their way.

Hey, aslong as NBA is back, i am happy.

phunwin said:
I also wanted to see 20, but then, I also wanted to see basketball next year. This was a bigger issue to the union than the owners (for whatever reason), so they got their way.

Bingo. The league is always more important than the issue. What a shame that 18 year olds will have to experience college for a year before they make the big bucks and end their life as they know it. I know some responses will be that a lot of NBA players need the money, but so do a lot of college football players and no one gripes about them not being able to come out early other than Clarett.

All the great high school ballers are now sweating it out as they dont want to go to school for an extra year before going to the NBA. They might have to actually open a book for a year and get an education. I see many of them doing 12th grade twice. :lol:

Roman529 said:
All the great high school ballers are now sweating it out as they dont want to go to school for an extra year before going to the NBA. They might have to actually open a book for a year and get an education. I see many of them doing 12th grade twice. :lol:

Depending on where they go they won't have to open a book even if they do go to College for a year.

Well at least college ball will get players like Lebron for one year. I agree that the age should have been 20 or 21, kinda limp to make it 19. Might as well be 18.

Did you really have to make a thread for this? Couldnt you just post it in the other thread about the dela being done?

nyjunc said:
Depending on where they go they won't have to open a book even if they do go to College for a year.

I believe that at the University of Cincinnati, they walk the players through the library like it's a museum. "These objects are called books. They're how we used to teach students, back in the 1960s. Don't touch them, just observe."

Back
Top Bottom