[MERGED] OC Finally: Dan Henning appointed Offensive Coordinator | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[MERGED] OC Finally: Dan Henning appointed Offensive Coordinator

I'm telling you - I'm just sick about the hire.

Well considering he turned a pretty much last place offense that had scored 253 pts into one that at it's height scored 391 points I'll take it.

Besides it's obvious he's only here for a year or 2 to groom (Karl?) someone or hold the fort till they can get someone they truly want.

We need to have an OC who wants to attack the opposing defense not be conservative and play "not to lose". We've had enough of "Wanny ball" in Miami

That's a good point - and you're right - play calling IS a product of talent, but Dan Henning was just so dog determined to pound the ball on the ground up the middle . . . and DeShaun Foster and DeAngelo Williams aren't exactly what you would call "power backs".

The biggest gripe I heard about him is his inability to adjust. If the other team totally shut down our offense in the first half - nothing was done to adjust at half-time. The second half featured more of the same - up the middle, up the middle, up the middle. . . . we got so sick of that we could puke.

If fact, when Jeff Davidson was hired as OC last year, Davidson joked that the first play he called would NOT be a draw up the middle. . . .

I'm telling you - I'm just sick about the hire. My hope is that a change in scenery and personnel will change his play calling DRAMATICALLY! Maybe Parcells will have a say in that . . .

He also turned Delhomme into a NFL Qb, which is a bit like teaching Bobby Bouchet Astro physics.

I've followed the Panthers for a long time (NC is my home) and the only real success they had after Capers was when Henning was running the show on Offense.

And IMO, this hire is a boon to John Beck, Cam's system was NFL proven, it also is tough to ask a BYU rookie to step into a depleted situation like we have in Miami and expect all cylinders to fire the way they should.

And, unlike in Carolina, we are strong up the middle with Satele and Ronnie or Ricky on pitches or even Chatman, we avg 5.0 yds a pop when the oline was functioning.

If Henning brings in David Carr, though, then we are in a different ballgame, that cat is a scrub, a total scrub, maybe if he took off the MJ gloves he could play some darn football.

I think everybody these days gets caught up in hiring a "young guy" as if that automatically means the guy will have new and wizardlike ideas about moving the football.

Henning was a really good OC when the Jets beat us a bunch of times in a row with Parcells as head coach. They mashed us with Curtis Martin and hit a few big plays with Coles. I am excited that we will now have stability at the oc position. IMO.

with the hiring of OC

i wonder if we brought in henneing to use ginn like steve smith in NC. they had a pretty competitive offense didnt they

I think everybody these days gets caught up in hiring a "young guy" as if that automatically means the guy will have new and wizardlike ideas about moving the football.

Henning was a really good OC when the Jets beat us a bunch of times in a row with Parcells as head coach. They mashed us with Curtis Martin and hit a few big plays with Coles. I am excited that we will now have stability at the oc position. IMO.

I agree NashPhin - quite frankly I'm happy to be going back to some old-school type leadership and football.

I for one think it's a good solid hire.

I will reserve judgement until after the season starts and I'm able to watch our offense. But my question is, Who calls plays? Sparano or Henning?

Probably Henning, because of his experience, but eventually I would think Jerald Ingram would...since Henning is 66 years old and probably one foot in retirement.

George DeLeone, the guy Miami hired as their TEs coach, has a background littered with experience as a running game coordinator.

Meanwhile it was widely rumored that Henning would be tutoring Karl Dorrell, who would eventually take over for him.

In this scenario Miami would have Henning as passing game coordinator, with play calling...and Karl Dorrell would be tutoring under him for that role. Jerald Ingram would be the running game coordinator, and would probably get play calling from Henning within a year or two. George DeLeone would be in line to take over as running game coordinator if Ingram ever left the team to become a full offensive coordinator, or if Miami decided to switch to a setup where Ingram is the full offensive coordinator and has passing and running coordinators underneath him (Dorrell and DeLeone).

That's what I would lean toward. If you have a division of responsibilities like that, your coaching staff might be more resilient when it comes to losing coaches to promotions.
What type of offense did Henning run in Carolina? I haven't watched them much.

well...i hope you guys like draw plays...

living in NC, i hated watching this guy constantly call up draw plays for the panthers. 3rd and 20? no problem...draw play!

living in NC, i hated watching this guy constantly call up draw plays for the panthers. 3rd and 20? no problem...draw play!

A draw on 3rd and 20 is pretty common, regardless of who is calling the plays.

Steve Smith has been injured, Colbert hasn't stepped up, and Delhomme has sort of regressed.

The Panthers never really recovered from losing Stephen Davis.

When Keyshawn Johnson is your #1 Wr, and he is running 4.8 40's, you've got problems.

Henning named OC

i saw it run across the bottom line on ESPN's news bar via Madden

Back
Top Bottom