Merged:Pats get a third round comp pick!!!/Sham by the NFL | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged:Pats get a third round comp pick!!!/Sham by the NFL

Losing Ricky Williams gets us nothing, he retired he was not a "lost" free agent. The only players we have lost so far this year that will count next year are Knight and Greenwood. Freeman, Minor, and Wyrick will if they sign somewhere.

Feidler, Konrad, and Boston were cut and thus do not figure into this calculation.

[QUOTE='Phins & 'Canes]OK, looking at this last link on this page that was provided by gen3d, the guy says there's 3 extra 3rd round picks, 5 extra picks in the 4th round, 7 extra picks in the 5th round, 7 extra picks in the 6th round and 10 extra picks in the 7th round for 32 total compensatory picks.

So if Miami HAD this draft selection...

1st at # 2
3rd at # 70
4th at # 98
5th at # 129
7th at # 193

Then now we'd have to move DOWN in the 4th, 5th and 7th rounds, factoring in the above...

1st at # 2
3rd at # 70
4th at # 101 (adding 3 comp picks at end of 3rd)
5th at # 137 (adding 3 comp picks at end of 3rd and 5 at end of 4th)
7th at # 208 (adding 3 comp picks at end of 3rd, 5 at end of 4th and 7 at end of the 6th round)

This really stinks for us as we stay the same with our 1st and 3rd picks but the 4th rounder goes down three spots, the 5th rounder goes down eight spots and the 7th rounder goes down 15 spots! BS!!!

If this guy on that link figured that right, is that about the way you all see it too?[/QUOTE]

Damn, I screwed this up too. The pick in the 7th round isn't the 208th, but the 215th. I forgot to add the seven comp picks at the end of round five when figuring our round 7 pick. This gets worse and worse! So if that guy had the comp picks right, and there are 32 of them, the Dolphins now pick...

1st at # 2
3rd at # 70
4th at # 101
5th at # 137
7th at # 215

That guy at 215 is almost like an undrafted FA, of whom we'll be calling a lot of I guess when the 40 other teams select after us in the 7th round! :eek:

EXCELLENT post!! Couldn't have said it better myself!! Now if only this Spielman lovers would grow some eyes and see what Spielman and Wanny have done to this franchise!!

Awsi Dooger said:
Everyone here is begging for charity. Go find some crying towels.

As afishfan correctly points out, we have been prototype idiotic in free agency until this year. We don't get compensatory picks because we don't deserve them. Believe it or not, signing mush like Reggie Howard and Damion McIntosh counts against us, just like their play on the field counts against us.

Rick Speilman had a remarkable string of 8 masochistic and incompetent months after becoming GM and thru the Lamar Gordon trade. They look worse by the hour. Go ahead and credit him with a few decent late rounders, although many of them are hardly guaranteed to stick or produce. He signed garbage in free agency, which screwed up our cap and forfeited compensatory picks this spring. He gave away Ogunleye, essentially for two guys who I predict will never make a significant impact for Miami. The Carey trade and the Gordon trade are among the worst in team history. This is hardly after the fact. I just wish I could have been here last spring and fall. I ripped him incessantly on another Dolphin board.

nick19991 said:
we lost a whole bunch this year: Morlon Greenwood, Sammy Knight, David Boston, Jay Fiedler, Shawn Wooden, Arturo Freeman... the list goes on to count to 10 total but we also signed 9 players so far, so they pretty much cancel out I bet

Plus the players we lost count as addition by subtraction!! All those guys did nothing for Miami last year!!

Ohiophinphan said:
Losing Ricky Williams gets us nothing, he retired he was not a "lost" free agent. The only players we have lost so far this year that will count next year are Knight and Greenwood. Freeman, Minor, and Wyrick will if they sign somewhere.

Feidler, Konrad, and Boston were cut and thus do not figure into this calculation.

you can cancel out knight and greenwood because we signed Jones and that linebacker kid out of denver (spragan)

OK, from the NFL site...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8314832

So I take it that this means there will be this many added picks officially now to each round...

3rd - 6
4th - 3
5th - 6
6th - 8
7th - 9

So once and for all, Miami goes from...

RND 1, PICK 2
RND 3, PICK 70
RND 4, PICK 98
RND 5, PICK 129
RND 7, PICK 193

To....

RND 1, PICK 2
RND 3, PICK 70
RND 4, PICK 103
RND 5, PICK 138
RND 7, PICK 216

I definately hope we can get a 2nd for Patrick now so we have the additional first day selection.

Looking towards next season, we have signed Damien Cook, Heath Evans, Stockar McDougle, Gus Frerotte, Taveres Tillman, and Donnie Spragen.

Kevin Carter, Vonnie Holliday, and Tebucky Jones were cut by their teams and therefore do not count in our additions.

We have lost Bryan Robinson, Sammy Knight, and Morlon Greenwood. We could still lose Travis Minor, Arturo Freeman, and Jimmy Wyrick. If so we would be a net zero which if we lose a higher quaility than we sign could get us a minimal pick this time next year. Sign one more UFA and no way we get a comp pick next year.

On a seperate note let's look at what we have gotten in as compensatory choices in Phin history. Derrick Rodgers, Ronnie Ward and Brent Smith in 1997. Sam Simmons in 2002. J.R. Tolver, Yeremiah Bell, and Davern Williams in 2003. Not exactly world beaters but some good players if not great!

This is Tags helping out his good pal Kraft. Complete BS!

What the problem is that the can't predict what Nick and The Miami Dolphins are going to be like this year. So they are beefing up the Super bowl champs.

Back
Top Bottom