Merged: PFT/ Will Allen Heading To Miami? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: PFT/ Will Allen Heading To Miami?

Probably around what Townsend got? Does that seem right? Maybe a bit more..

he would be a perfect fit for this team. PERFECT sign him immediatly

CubanCulebra said:
If there is one position we have that requires overspending it is certainly CB.

Actually, the FA CB market is proving to be surprisingly affordable this year.

Other than Brian Williams (Jaguars) contract, most of the better young players are getting about $2MM per season and modest guarantees.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Funny, I get the sense that Saban doesnt want to overspend on CB (since thats his specialty) the way Houck doesnt want to overspend on OL. I think he will look for workable gems in mid to late rounds for both positions every draft.
Makes sense. You sign supertars at positions you know little about because they come in superstars already. I guess Saban feels he can mold superstars since his specialty is the secondary. You make a very interesting point. But, if you think this is a SB contending team now, you can't just sit back and not pick up a veteran, young CB, with blazing fast speed. Plus, this tanslates into the draft aswell, think about it. Say Saban is looking to trade down come draft day and the Broncos, who have 2 first round picks, are salavating desperately for Chad Jackson. Do you think Saban can bluff taking Chad Jackson to force Denver's hand? Ofcourse not. It'll be like the Braylon bluff of last year because any savy GM would know that we are in dire need of DB this year like we were in need of a RB last year. Also, say Jay Cutler or Vince Young or someone as unlikely as AJ Hawk falls to 16 for w/e crazy reason. My point here is, you don't want to be cornered into having to draft a corner.

CubanCulebra said:
Makes sense. You sign supertars at positions you know little about because they come in superstars already. I guess Saban feels he can mold superstars since his specialty is the secondary. You make a very interesting point. But, if you think this is a SB contending team now, you can't just sit back and not pick up a veteran, young CB, with blazing fast speed. Plus, this tanslates into the draft aswell, think about it. Say Saban is looking to trade down come draft day and the Broncos, who have 2 first round picks, are salavating desperately for Chad Jackson. Do you think Saban can bluff taking Chad Jackson to force Denver's hand? Ofcourse not. It'll be like the Braylon bluff of last year because any savy GM would know that we are in dire need of DB this year like we were in need of a RB last year. Also, say Jay Cutler or Vince Young or someone as unlikely as AJ Hawk falls to 16 for w/e crazy reason. My point here is, you don't want to be cornered into having to draft a corner.

I agree and dont think Saban will be backed into any corner or have his hand forced come draft day.

First, I only stated not to overpay for Allen in FA. I would like to have him for depth in a weak area of our team. Also, FA will clearly play a part in what we do with our 1st round pick.

Think of it this way, lets say at #16 CB's on the board are J. Allen, Cromartie, T. Hill, and J. Williams. Plus at DT guys like Bunkley and Watson. And OLB like Greenway, and at WR C. Jackson, and last at OL W. Justice.

I would have to think that in FA if we sign and OLB (Arrington or Peterson), a DT (Adams), a CB (W. Allen), a OL (Ashworth), a WR (Campbell) in any combination it will change our strategy. Any of those signings impact our remaining needs come draft day. Depending on how many FA, and what positions, we can sign between now and draft day will also dictate whether we use the #16 pick on the remaining need or trade down (if we can find the partner).

So all in all....FA is still hot and heavy and very important to set up our draft strategy. Saban is in the drivers seat and wont allow himself to be played and put out of position.

This is fun to watch....even during the slow times.

Bunkley would be a very intriguing option at #16 if we do sign Allen. Then use our #3 on the secondary (either a S or CB).

Dolfan1000 said:
Bunkley would be a very intriguing option at #16 if we do sign Allen. Then use our #3 on the secondary (either a S or CB).

If we dont sign Adams, and he is there at #16, I would think its hard to pass on him.

Even if we do sign Adams, he might be hard to pass....he is a DT/NT foundation for many years.

But with Adams, you could easily convince me that a CB, OLB, or WR like Jackson is worthy of the pick at #16.

Personally, I think OL at #16 is the longest of the long shots that Saban would pick.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
I agree and dont think Saban will be backed into any corner or have his hand forced come draft day.

First, I only stated not to overpay for Allen in FA. I would like to have him for depth in a weak area of our team. Also, FA will clearly play a part in what we do with our 1st round pick.

Think of it this way, lets say at #16 CB's on the board are J. Allen, Cromartie, T. Hill, and J. Williams. Plus at DT guys like Bunkley and Watson. And OLB like Greenway, and at WR C. Jackson, and last at OL W. Justice.

I would have to think that in FA if we sign and OLB (Arrington or Peterson), a DT (Adams), a CB (W. Allen), a OL (Ashworth), a WR (Campbell) in any combination it will change our strategy. Any of those signings impact our remaining needs come draft day. Depending on how many FA, and what positions, we can sign between now and draft day will also dictate whether we use the #16 pick on the remaining need or trade down (if we can find the partner).

So all in all....FA is still hot and heavy and very important to set up our draft strategy. Saban is in the drivers seat and wont allow himself to be played and put out of position.

This is fun to watch....even during the slow times.
It has been the most anxiety-driven offseason that I have ever encountered with the OB situation and before that the CBA thing and before that the possible trading of Williams- crazy. It's been better than a rollercoaster ride. And despite w/e we continue to do, I think the heist Saban pulled off on the Vikes has already rendered this a great FA. I think if we sign Allen and don't decide upon trading down, that Bunkley and Jackson are the most interesting of those you mentioned.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
If we dont sign Adams, and he is there at #16, I would think its hard to pass on him.

Even if we do sign Adams, he might be hard to pass....he is a DT/NT foundation for many years.

But with Adams, you could easily convince me that a CB, OLB, or WR like Jackson is worthy of the pick at #16.

Personally, I think OL at #16 is the longest of the long shots that Saban would pick.
lmao Great minds think alike.

Although, with Atlanta potentially trading their pick, it increases the chance of a worthwhile DB being there at #16.

Dolfan1000 said:
Although, with Atlanta potentially trading their pick, it increases the chance of a worthwhile DB being there at #16.
Who's to say the Jets don't look to take a DB too? I agree with you though, cuz most mock drafts I've looked at have ATL taking a DB.

MiamiDolphins34 said:
Bring in Ahmed Plummer :shakeno:

If he comes at a discount it would be great depth and we need that with poole history.... But I believe when you put together talent salary and attitude I think Allen will be our best bargain. Saban can make a cb out of anyone, so a little talent and a little WILLingness could go a long way

Back
Top Bottom