merged:Saban is not about Smokescreens/Smokescreen? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

merged:Saban is not about Smokescreens/Smokescreen?

finfan54

Active Roster
Reaction score
Saban is not about Smokescreens

He is about not saying too much and when he does, he is a straight shooter. He has said a couple of main things here:

1) He would like to trade down and get more picks. Tat is not a smokescreen.
2) That he is in this for the long term and that they are going to pick the best guy for the long term of this team.
3) He is not too thrilled with Feeley (get over it)
4) He likes the demeanor of ALex Smith and likes him better of the two QB's
5) He doesnt have a whole lot of spread in difference of the RB's and that there are plenty of RB's in this draft and has hinted that he likes guys like Fason.
6) That they will find the best guy after all the work is done and stick to #2 unless someone offers a trade that is viable in compensation for moving to that pick!

I dont see any smokescreens there do you? Everything is going just the way he stated. I truly belive Alex Smith is the guy they are zeroed in on because of Linehan and Saban's overall plan.

riiiiight......

dude....you wanns play some poker with me?

I'll take your $$$ in about 2 seconds.

hweitz14 said:
riiiiight......

dude....you wanns play some poker with me?

I'll take your $$$ in about 2 seconds.

you believe what you wanna believe, but i never once heard Saban say he was serious about Ronnie Brown.......The whole rest of the world said that, not him.

I agree with you.

Ive heard just about enough of the word smokescreen.

Here are some synonyms for the word just because I know Im going to be hearing it up until we draft Alex Smith.

appearance, beard, blind, cloak, concealment, cover, cover up, deceit, deceptive marking, dissimulation, faking, front, guise, mask, masking, masquerade, mimicry, paint, protective coloring, red herring, screen, shade, shroud, smokescreen, veil

Use them at your leisure smokers.

I agree. Saban doesn't strike me as a guy who says one thing but means another. My guess is that Saban is pretty happy with his options. He likes Smith, but he also likes more picks. TB will offer value chart or better or Saban will take Smith. That's my guess.

finfan54 said:
He is about not saying too much and when he does, he is a straight shooter. He has said a couple of main things here:

1) He would like to trade down and get more picks. Tat is not a smokescreen.
2) That he is in this for the long term and that they are going to pick the best guy for the long term of this team.
3) He is not too thrilled with Feeley (get over it)
4) He likes the demeanor of ALex Smith and likes him better of the two QB's
5) He doesnt have a whole lot of spread in difference of the RB's and that there are plenty of RB's in this draft and has hinted that he likes guys like Fason.
6) That they will find the best guy after all the work is done and stick to #2 unless someone offers a trade that is viable in compensation for moving to that pick!

I dont see any smokescreens there do you? Everything is going just the way he stated. I truly belive Alex Smith is the guy they are zeroed in on because of Linehan and Saban's overall plan.

While I agree what you say, he is sending out mixed signals on who he wants, and thats smart business. The same maybe said for Gruden, maybe he wants one of the RB's or WR's, but he is going to send out mixed signals.

finfan54 said:
you believe what you wanna believe, but i never once heard Saban say he was serious about Ronnie Brown.......The whole rest of the world said that, not him.
That right, there is your clue....You don't tell the world who you really want unless you want them to know. Why would he want everyone to know we covet Smith? There's still a possibility that San Fran could take him from us.

The reason he wants it KNOWN is to chum the waters and put some team in a frenzy to move up.

I see no smokescreens whatsoever. the only smokescreen I see is that we are locked into Ronnie Brown. That is a smokescreen, and a big one at that!

inFINSible said:
That right, there is your clue....You don't tell the world who you really want unless you want them to know. Why would he want everyone to know we covet Smith? There's still a possibility that San Fran could take him from us.

The reason he wants it KNOWN is to chum the waters and put some team in a frenzy to move up.

The reason he is looking at Alex Smith is cus we dont have a franchise QB and he is looking deeply at Alex Smith. The facts are all there. They were there two months ago. Linehan said he likes Alex Smith. He knows him. He likes him. You see a connection there? Isnt it obvious? It really strikes me when people say its not what he said but what he doesnt say (which is what everyone else is saying). Doesnt make sense. What makes sense is that Alex Smith is the guy they like and are willing to pull the trigger for him because how many franchise QB's are available these days? QB and LT are premiums in this league. There are plenty of RB's and WR's out there in case you havent noticed.

The way its looking, and apologies I havent read all the replies. but my equation for this is.

Ricky comes back = Smith OR Rodgers
Ricky does not come back = Ronnie Brown

Smokescreen?

I see alot of people throwing this word around, let me clarify what this really means.

People are saying the alex smith thing is a smokescreen, and that saban really wants to trade down. This statement is false, yes false. Saban is saying he will draft alex smith or trade down. The only way this is a smokescreen, is if saban selects someone else as #2. If we trade down at #2, then we will never know if saban was blowing smoke or if he would have selected smith if no trade down scenario was acceptable. Understand?

Saban2005 said:
I see alot of people throwing this word around, let me clarify what this really means.

People are saying the alex smith thing is a smokescreen, and that saban really wants to trade down. This statement is false, yes false. Saban is saying he will draft alex smith or trade down. The only way this is a smokescreen, is if saban selects someone else as #2. If we trade down at #2, then we will never know if saban was blowing smoke or if he would have selected smith if no trade down scenario was acceptable. Understand?

Thanks for clearing that up for us. :shakeno:

We all know so little about Saban in this position to draft because he's never been here before. So trying to guess what will happen or to think we have a clue is like knowing the winning numbers in the lottery, a who really knows that?...Nobody so when draft comes we will all be wondering the same thing, what will Saban do!

Back
Top Bottom