Merged: Second stringer as second pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Second stringer as second pick

TexPhinPhan

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Second stringer as second pick

Can anyone think of a player who did not start for their college team go as high as Ronnie Brown? Alternatively, how about a player who shared time with another player a la Brown/Williams in college. The best I can do is Craig James and Eric Dickerson, which of course really is not that close of a comparison

I understand how Tuberville used Ronnie Brown at Auburn,is it even fair to call Ronnie a "second stringer"? I am just curious if there are any historical comparisons.

Thanks
Texphinphan

See Barry Sanders as Thurman Thomas backup at Oklahoma State and Ricky Williams as Priest Holmes backup at Texas.... If you need to look to the NFL Priest Holmes was Jamal Lewis's backup in 2000 and then next year had 1555 for KC. Please stop the backup agruement..

well he had 153 rushes and 34 receptions in 12 games, which is about 15.6 touches per game... thats alot as a backup...

caddy had 239 rushes and 21 receptions in 13 games which is 20 touches a game...

so you can say he was a backup but you gotta consider how many backups get over 15 touches per game? its just different roles i guess... plus he had 9 TDs which is a lot for a backup too... i would say it was a split backfield in 2004

We know how ESPN finds ways to bash the phins, well no one said anything bad about this guy or the pick. Which is just a taste of who this guy is.

He has Speed, Power, Strength, Size, Vision, Hands, and is a Humble guy, that is why we took him. Caddy Williams was said to run a certain way that can be more prone to injury, and Though I like Benson, it just wasn't the right fit.

GreenMonster said:
See Barry Sanders as Thurman Thomas backup at Oklahoma State and Ricky Williams as Priest Holmes backup at Texas.... If you need to look to the NFL Priest Holmes was Jamal Lewis's backup in 2000 and then next year had 1555 for KC. Please stop the backup agruement..

Priest Holmes was back up to Ricky at Texas, not the other way around..

Priest Holmes sat behind Ricky at Texas, its not that strange, in college it happens.

The point is Brown played a lot, its not like he was sitting on the bench all the time, when he played his numbers were better than Cadilacs by 1.4 yards per carry.

it wasn't that Cadilac beat him out, they had two great backs, the reason Brown was used less was he was by far the superior receiver and they saved him for passing downs.

TexPhinPhan said:
Can anyone think of a player who did not start for their college team go as high as Ronnie Brown? Alternatively, how about a player who shared time with another player a la Brown/Williams in college. The best I can do is Craig James and Eric Dickerson, which of course really is not that close of a comparison

I understand how Tuberville used Ronnie Brown at Auburn,is it even fair to call Ronnie a "second stringer"? I am just curious if there are any historical comparisons.

Thanks
Texphinphan

It doesn't happen a lot, but there is precedent for it:

In 1986, John L. Williams and Neal Anderson (both of Florida) were drafted in the 1st round. Williams had a successful career in Seattle; likewise, Anderson fared well with the Bears.

Thanks for the comparisions. It should be noted, however, that both Barry and Ricky became starters, and Ricky beat Priest out while Priest still at UT.

After reading my own post, maybe the Priest Ricky comparison is the best. Priest was not drafted but of course has don ok in the nfl. Clearly Ronnie was not going to make it out of rd 1 much less go undrafted.

An interesting situation.

Texphinphan

GreenMonster said:

Barry wasn't anyone's backup when he rushed for 38TD's and 2800 yards...

DrAstroZoom said:
It doesn't happen a lot, but there is precedent for it:

In 1986, John L. Williams and Neal Anderson (both of Florida) were drafted in the 1st round. Williams had a successful career in Seattle; likewise, Anderson fared well with the Bears.

John L. was technically the fullback, while Neal was the true RB.

Bottom line on Brown is he carried it enough to show his skills as the consensus best back in the draft, but comes with only about half the mileage on him. I'm OK with that.

Willis McGahee was going to back up Frank Gore until Gore hurt his knee.

This Brown could not beat out Caddy stuff is just so stupid.....

Yes it is possible to have the two best players at one position in the country on the same team.

Somebody has to start and it not always the best player. There are policitics and other factors that go into it.

It is meaningless.

I remember when McGahee hurt his knee, they said he had to go pro (and eventually to bills) because if he returned to Miami he'd be the THIRD back...

Hey, Tom Brady couldn't beat out Drew Henson or Brian Griese. So I'm not too worried about it. Besides, I consider it a compliment that he was a top 3 RB as a back-up.

GreenMonster said:

But they still started at some point in their college careers. Ronnie was always #2 on the depth chart.

Back
Top Bottom