MERGED: Speilman on Thin Ice? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Speilman on Thin Ice?

DolphinDevil28

I like boobs.
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
What is getting lost in the whole "Will Poole-gate scandal"

Did anyone read the bottom of the article???

Saban is looking for replacements for Rick Speilman???

Yay!! :D

That's good news.

spielman on thin ice?

The Dolphins appear to have begun the search for a replacement for General Manager Rick Spielman, as a source said the franchise has interviewed Tampa Bay's Ruston Webster for a front-office position.

Webster has been director of college scouting for four years after joining the Buccaneers as a scout in 1988.

A Dolphins spokesman declined comment.

Spielman, promoted to general manager in January 2004, had his role greatly reduced when the Dolphins gave first-year coach Nick Saban control of football operations.

Saban declined to give him a vote of confidence as general manager when asked about Spielman's future nine days ago at a minicamp.

"I just know we're in the process of evaluating all the areas of the organization," Saban said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ay08,0,7813029.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

spielman on thin ice?

spielman on thin ice?

The Dolphins appear to have begun the search for a replacement for General Manager Rick Spielman, as a source said the franchise has interviewed Tampa Bay's Ruston Webster for a front-office position.

Webster has been director of college scouting for four years after joining the Buccaneers as a scout in 1988.

A Dolphins spokesman declined comment.

Spielman, promoted to general manager in January 2004, had his role greatly reduced when the Dolphins gave first-year coach Nick Saban control of football operations.

Saban declined to give him a vote of confidence as general manager when asked about Spielman's future nine days ago at a minicamp.

"I just know we're in the process of evaluating all the areas of the organization," Saban said.

I don't know why Rick hung around. Maybe he wants a good severance package eh?

I agree Rick is on thin ice... and I know this is a bit off topic... but is this thread MERGED with only 4 replies? :goof:

painnotpleasure said:
I agree Rick is on thin ice... and I know this is a bit off topic... but is this thread MERGED with only 4 replies? :goof:

I was thinking the same thing :lol:

And I really don't care what happens with Saban -- ultimately there's no way Saban's decisions will be curved or distorted by anyone else with the minor exception of Mr. H.

when all is said and done, I think that Saban will demote speilman to some form of scout only with a better title. Rick IS a good scout and other than the Carey tradeup and subsequent pick his 1st draft in charge was just a tad above average (like 13-15 considering all the teams). I'm not justifying keeping him by any means, I DO NOT want him a GM....I just think he IS a good talent evaluator.

Now, I have no idea if Speilman takes the demotion. I'd think he'd look elsewhere immediately! There are already rumors that he'd be hired quickly when he hits the open market..just not as GM since all those positions are currently filled. He may just stay on long enough to keep getting his paycheck until he's offered an Asst. GM with someone like Seattle with the understanding from whatever team that he'd be looked at if/when the GM post opens.

Thank God! Fire this bum and send him to the Jets, Bills, or Pats and let him screw up their franchise.

zephon said:
when all is said and done, I think that Saban will demote speilman to some form of scout only with a better title. Rick IS a good scout and other than the Carey tradeup and subsequent pick his 1st draft in charge was just a tad above average (like 13-15 considering all the teams). I'm not justifying keeping him by any means, I DO NOT want him a GM....I just think he IS a good talent evaluator.

Now, I have no idea if Speilman takes the demotion. I'd think he'd look elsewhere immediately! There are already rumors that he'd be hired quickly when he hits the open market..just not as GM since all those positions are currently filled. He may just stay on long enough to keep getting his paycheck until he's offered an Asst. GM with someone like Seattle with the understanding from whatever team that he'd be looked at if/when the GM post opens.

That move (trade a 4th to move up one spot) was one of the worst draft day moves I have ever seen. Shades of Minnesota mortgaging their future for Herschel Walker..just a$$enine. If Rick wants to scout, let him stay. Otherwise, serve him his walking papers.

LAphinfan said:
That move (trade a 4th to move up one spot) was one of the worst draft day moves I have ever seen. Shades of Minnesota mortgaging their future for Herschel Walker..just a$$enine. If Rick wants to scout, let him stay. Otherwise, serve him his walking papers.

trust me, I'm will NEVER defend that little scenario....or the Feely one. Well maybe the feely one but only if....well you know the if:)

I still like the gordon trade. I've been a fan of his since college. Of course I would have liked to have given a pick one round lower but that's nitpicking. What happened to Lamar was a freak thing...actually, the way that the line blocked...or didn't block, was what helped cause the darn thing. give the guy an o-line that doesn't say "o lay" (sp?) and I think he's just fine.

Off topic sorry. Yah, I like speilman as a scout..just not a gm.

painnotpleasure said:

The last vestige of the previous regime is on his way out.Its about time.We must move forward and look ahead.

BTW the threads are merged when the topic is similar or when the sources are the same.

It has nothing to do with the Number of replies.

Keep Spielman as GM in title only, have Saban make the decisions and teach Rick how to do the job correctly (and not get schooled during the draft by Belichick), use his input on player evaluation and life goes on.

Firing Spielman now would just add to the turmoil the team has been going through since last year. It's over, finally. No gain for the team to replace him now, especially with the rumor of adding Webster from Tampa. Someone show me how that guy has made drastic improvements in the Bucs situation.

Trading up for Carey was an error, but not a crushing blow at the time. Who could have forseen the mess that followed with Ricky, Boston, Ogunleye and all the injuries? Feeley has a chance, Gordon and Booker were good additions at a time when the season was unraveling. Both guys can still play a role as this thing gets turned around.

As a first year GM Spielman got dealt a horrible hand. I believe he did well, and am prepared for the backlash I'm sure I'll get for actually typing those words. I truly believe that firing/demoting Spielman at this point serves no good purpose. Saban runs the show anyway.

DolphinDevil28 said:
Did anyone read the bottom of the article???

Saban is looking for replacements for Rick Speilman???

Yay!! :D

That's good news.
I think that it is pretty much a given that N Saban is looking to end that Miami Dolphin - D Wannstedt f-o look....
And considering that Speilman and Dave were good friends,, his days seem to be numbered!
:D

Marino1983

Marino1983 said:
I think that it is pretty much a given that N Saban is looking to end that Miami Dolphin - D Wannstedt f-o look....
And considering that Speilman and Dave were good friends,, his days seem to be numbered!
:D

Marino1983

I hope so.......team needs a fresh start (except bringing Terrell Buckley back)

:roflmao: Let Boomer eat dirt........

Back
Top Bottom