Merged: The Official Laveranues Coles Thread | Page 48 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: The Official Laveranues Coles Thread

I'm not convinced that Laveranues Coles would change that

He's an experienced number 1 WR. He may not be Randy Moss, or Larry Fitzgerald, but he's put up solid numbers playing with a lot worse than what he'd have in Miami, and his best years have come catching passes from our current QB. It makes perfect sense to sign him, but i guess it makes more sense to pray that Ted Ginn is going to develop into a number 1, which he wont.

Report: Dolphins Not Interested In Coles

Well, ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting the Dolphins have no interest in Coles at $6 million. Or at $5 million. Or at $3 million. Or at $1.85 and a box of popcorn.
Citing a team source, Mortensen is reporting the Dolphins called Coles' agent -- a call that no doubt excited the agent when he first saw the number on his caller ID -- only to say they weren't interested. That is crazy stuff. Not only did the Dolphins not call as is usually the case; they actually called to say they had no interest. It's like a girl calling you before the prom and telling you she doesn't want to go with you even before you ask her.
So this should put an extinguisher on the hot stove Coles talk ...
... unless the Dolphins are orchestrating all this to seriously, seriously, seriously drive down the price for Coles just before becoming, you know, suddenly interested. It would not mark the first time the team changes its collective mind on an issue as fluid situations change (remember Bill Parcells saying, "We will not trade Jason Taylor?").
Of course, the Dolphins might be putting out accurate information this time. In which case we should all applaud the team resisting the temptation to add a 31-year-old receiver who, as you read in my previous blog post, is on the descent rather than the ascent.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/02/report-dolphins-not-interested-in-coles/

i don't know if i believe this all that much. Parcells likes his veteran WRs, and he seems like the top guy on Miami's list.

Why grab Coles when TJ stock is plummeting.. Seems like FAs this season have overplayed their hand somewhat...

At this point I'd be surprised if we signed Coles... I wouldn't be surprised if the Trifecta seems happy with what we have and draft a WR...

I have to believe that the trifecta will add someone that that will compete for a starting job. Either free agency or draft(i like Hakeem Nicks). But i know we won't go WR on our first pick. We have more pressing needs. OL, DL, CB, & maybe even LB. I'd really rather see our Defense get stronger before our Offense.

bp is the master of throwing the curve ball

I'd be nervous if the FO was saying that they really wanted to add Coles...this is exactly how the Trifecta should be acting.

Makes no sense at all for the Dolphins to call his agent just to say we aren't interested. Why waist the time?

It makes even less sense for either the Dolphin organization or Coles' agent to leak that kind of info to the media. Its good for both parties for people to believe the Dolphins are interested in LC. It raises his market value which obviously is good for him and indirectly good for the Phins as it lowers some other teams cap space if they sign him. Also keeps teams guessing at who the Phins are really interested in.

The NFL is an old boys network and teams feign interest in players as favors to agents all the time. Unless Coles' agent pissed off the trifecta there would be no reason to make this public. The only other reason would be if the Phins and Coles have had an agreement all along and are going through all this to avoid a tampering complaint by the Jets.

He's an experienced number 1 WR. He may not be Randy Moss, or Larry Fitzgerald, but he's put up solid numbers playing with a lot worse than what he'd have in Miami, and his best years have come catching passes from our current QB. It makes perfect sense to sign him, but i guess it makes more sense to pray that Ted Ginn is going to develop into a number 1, which he wont.

imo, his best years are behind him. he's 31 and he's slowed down quite a bit. if they do sign him, it should be for a fraction of the $6 million he left on the table in new york. also, he doesn't seem like the mentor type which guys like Ginn, Bess and London need. the fact that Bill Parcells, who knows Coles as well as anyone, has no interest speaks volumes to me.
there is no doubt that there is a need at receiver, but this draft is loaded at that position and I have read more than once that the Trifecta already has a couple guys in mind.

Back
Top Bottom