Merged: The Official Laveranues Coles Thread | Page 49 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: The Official Laveranues Coles Thread

Makes no sense at all for the Dolphins to call his agent just to say we aren't interested. Why waist the time?

It makes even less sense for either the Dolphin organization or Coles' agent to leak that kind of info to the media. Its good for both parties for people to believe the Dolphins are interested in LC. It raises his market value which obviously is good for him and indirectly good for the Phins as it lowers some other teams cap space if they sign him. Also keeps teams guessing at who the Phins are really interested in.

The NFL is an old boys network and teams feign interest in players as favors to agents all the time. Unless Coles' agent pissed off the trifecta there would be no reason to make this public. The only other reason would be if the Phins and Coles have had an agreement all along and are going through all this to avoid a tampering complaint by the Jets.

That's a good point, remember last year when they brought in Quincy Carter?

There were people who said they only did it to help raise his profile so another, (read MUCH more desperate) team might bring him in and sign him...

I heard Crabtree is going to undergo surgery and going to miss his pro-day at school. Any chance of him slipping past no. 24 because of this? I know more than likely they wont draft a WR in round 1, but if Crabtree is available, could you pass him up?

I heard Crabtree is going to undergo surgery and going to miss his pro-day at school. Any chance of him slipping past no. 24 because of this? I know more than likely they wont draft a WR in round 1, but if Crabtree is available, could you pass him up?

He won't slip that far. If he does I guarantee the Phins would draft him.

He's an experienced number 1 WR. He may not be Randy Moss, or Larry Fitzgerald, but he's put up solid numbers playing with a lot worse than what he'd have in Miami, and his best years have come catching passes from our current QB. It makes perfect sense to sign him, but i guess it makes more sense to pray that Ted Ginn is going to develop into a number 1, which he wont.

Cris Carter was an experienced #1 too.

Well, ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting the Dolphins have no interest in Coles at $6 million. Or at $5 million. Or at $3 million. Or at $1.85 and a box of popcorn.
Citing a team source, Mortensen is reporting the Dolphins called Coles' agent -- a call that no doubt excited the agent when he first saw the number on his caller ID -- only to say they weren't interested. That is crazy stuff. Not only did the Dolphins not call as is usually the case; they actually called to say they had no interest. It's like a girl calling you before the prom and telling you she doesn't want to go with you even before you ask her.
So this should put an extinguisher on the hot stove Coles talk ...
... unless the Dolphins are orchestrating all this to seriously, seriously, seriously drive down the price for Coles just before becoming, you know, suddenly interested. It would not mark the first time the team changes its collective mind on an issue as fluid situations change (remember Bill Parcells saying, "We will not trade Jason Taylor?").
Of course, the Dolphins might be putting out accurate information this time. In which case we should all applaud the team resisting the temptation to add a 31-year-old receiver who, as you read in my previous blog post, is on the descent rather than the ascent.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/02/report-dolphins-not-interested-in-coles/

Good, not interested in any of the free agent WR's. Overpriced and too old.

I actually am a fan of Coles in Miami. After Crabtree, Maclin, Nicks, and Heyward-Bey there are not many guys I see as a true number one. Possibly Kenny Britt or Brian Robiskie

I actually am a fan of Coles in Miami. After Crabtree, Maclin, Nicks, and Heyward-Bey there are not many guys I see as a true number one. Possibly Kenny Britt or Brian Robiskie

Robiske is terrible. he had one good combine day and everyone is on his jock. he is not a number 1, 2 or 3 NFL receiver.

We are fine at WR. Sure, we don't have a Steve Smith or Randy Moss, but our current WR's can get the job done . At 31 years old, Coles is just another possesion receiver, and we have 2 of those already in Bess and Camarillo. Don't forget we have 2 good receiving TE's, and even after Camarillo went down last year, we still put up some nice numbers in the passing game. Our offense spreads the ball around a lot, so I can't imagine why any big name receiver would want to come to Miami when he wont be able to notch 80 catches in a season and be a star.

Back
Top Bottom