Merged: The Ron Rivera Bandwagon | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: The Ron Rivera Bandwagon

The big problem with hiring coordinators, etc is that their impact on the team they're on isn't quite clear.

Even Rivera, isn't he under Lovie Smith, a very good defensive mind?
Mike Martz, the year that he had great success was when he took the reins, and although yes he took the Rams to the superbowl (they were just there), isn't it pretty easy to look like a genious with Faulk around his prime, and bruce & holt as your receivers? You could practically close your eyes, and pick a play at random.

Cameron's record in what some of you are referring to as an "amateur level" (aka College) is horrific... if he can't handle it there, how do you expect him to lead an NFL franchise?

Also, what the hell does an "assistant HC" do?" I mean, to me, that sounds like a parasite.. that position is not directly responsible for anything right, like a DC or OC is.

Soo many variables.. my head hurts.

you never know, Mangini was the DC under Belichek who is one of the best defensive minds in the NFL and he is having alot of success as a rookie HC

The big problem with hiring coordinators, etc is that their impact on the team they're on isn't quite clear.

Even Rivera, isn't he under Lovie Smith, a very good defensive mind?
Mike Martz, the year that he had great success was when he took the reins, and although yes he took the Rams to the superbowl (they were just there), isn't it pretty easy to look like a genious with Faulk around his prime, and bruce & holt as your receivers? You could practically close your eyes, and pick a play at random.

Cameron's record in what some of you are referring to as an "amateur level" (aka College) is horrific... if he can't handle it there, how do you expect him to lead an NFL franchise?

Also, what the hell does an "assistant HC" do?" I mean, to me, that sounds like a parasite.. that position is not directly responsible for anything right, like a DC or OC is.

Soo many variables.. my head hurts.

I don't want Martz as the HC here, but he always had a prolific offense, whether it was Kurt Warner, Marc Bulger, or Jaime Martin behind center.

And every receiver they plugged in looked like an all pro. From Dane Looker to Kevin Curtis, to Shaun McDonald, to Mike Furrey in Detroit this year.

That is the sign of a great offensive mind, because his scheme works, and isn't necessarily dependent on all pro talent.

I'd consider him only as an offensive coordinator, because his ego is too large to be the HC. But he is in Detroit now so, the search continues...

I don't want Martz as the HC here, but he always had a prolific offense, whether it was Kurt Warner, Marc Bulger, or Jaime Martin behind center.

And every receiver they plugged in looked like an all pro. From Dane Looker to Kevin Curtis, to Shaun McDonald, to Mike Furrey in Detroit this year.

That is the sign of a great offensive mind, because his scheme works, and isn't necessarily dependent on all pro talent.

I'd consider him only as an offensive coordinator, because his ego is too large to be the HC. But he is in Detroit now so, the search continues...

he also loves to use his RBs out of the backfield which is shown by Kevin Jones racking up 500 yards receiving when he was out for 4 games. and we all know before that Marshall Faulk was great out of the backfield

I know that this will probbably not go down well with some on this site, and particularly with somw on this thread, but I am not that impressed with Rivera or his defenses. I believe that the Chicago D is overrated. I think there are many teams that have better defenses, perhaps not statistically, with lesser talent.
I have no problem if we hire a Defensive Coordiantor for HC but I'm not sold on Rivera.

I, for one, agree with you. The Bears defense has actually been pretty unspectacular for a number of weeks now and with the amount of talent they have on that side of the ball that is a cause for concern. You also need to go back to last years playoff game against the Panthers and ask yourself why one of the best, if not the best, defenses in the league had absolutely no plan against Steve Smith and the Panthers. Not only did they apparently not have a plan but the also failed to adjust as the game went on choosing to leave the same defenders to get burned time after time.

Rivera can and should have a nice career as a defensive coordinator but, IMO, when it comes to being a head coach he will probably be a Wannstedt clone. I would much rather see the Dolphins bring in an offense minded head coach and solid defensive coordinator than the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom