[MERGED] Tribute & Thanks Thread to Zach Thomas | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[MERGED] Tribute & Thanks Thread to Zach Thomas

I also would have liked to see him retire as a Dolphin, but if he can win a SB ring with a non-AFC East team I would be very happy for him. See you in Canton!!!! :woot:
I too would not have a problem with that, even be it the cowboys, so he can def get in the hof.

Football like life, isn't fair

maybe in the next life, [mod]please do not circumvent the profanity filter[/mod] who won superbowls(Sharpe, Romanowski et al) will get their just rewards

Zach gave it all(hopefully not too much) and more for no reward

the anti-Moss could have pissed and moaned his way to a better situation but didn't. his reward may be 0 rings and dimnentia/migraines/arthritis

I don't believe in god, but god bless the smartest MLB this league has known

whatever team he goes to will have alot more fans than they did last year

:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

That was a beautiful letter and I feel your pain brother. Zach is not only second only to Dan as my all time favorite player, but he just represents everything there is to love about football. He is heart and guts and effort. He plays like an animal, but he is highly intelligent. His courage, leadership, determination have all equaled one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on a football field. He is every sports movie cliche come to life. This unbelievable underdog whose heart made him great. I'm going to miss him. The Dolphins and the entire NFL becomes less without him. He was a player that I was proud to be a fan of. I wish him all the best.

A wonderful tribute. Thank you.
This is, indeed, a very sad day. Zach is gone. I'll have to keep repeating that to myself. It's the only way I'll be able to believe it. Thanks Zach, for everything you have done. You have always made us proud and we always knew that we could count on you. No matter how tough things have been for the team, your talent, dedication and toughness never waivered. When you go into the Hall it will be a very proud day for the Miami Dolphins. And it will be right.

My mini-tribute to Zach Thomas

When Zach Thomas was drafted by the Miami Dolphins, I (like everyone else) really had no idea who he was. Yeah, I'd heard of him. But that was the extent of it. I was somewhat excited during that off season when we'd picked up Del Rio because he had been a solid MLB and we were in desperate need of one. Then, as training camps progressed, I kept hearing more and more about this small LB Thomas who was turning heads with his nose for the ball and his constant fire and competitiveness. It wasn't long before this young, small LB had pretty much taken the defense over and made Del Rio, a great, yet aging LB, expendable. I mean, how many of us weren't surprised by seeing Del Rio cut in favor of the undersized rookie out of Texas Tech.

From then on, it was the Zach Thomas show on defense - as far as tackles go. This guy laid it on the line every day, every game, every play. Because of his stature, you know that this guy was playing with all heart and he was playing with a chip on his shoulder - as if he had something to prove. And he did: That BIG things do, in fact, come in SMALL packages. This guy was an inspiration to the guys around him - no question about it. He was the prime example of what being the heart of a defense is supposed to be. How could other guys NOT step up when they see this diminutive MLB running around like a crazed man hitting guys with no regard to his personal health. As good as JT is, he too was inspired by this guy, and I believe that it was this inspiration, and their budding friendship, that helped JT work to become the player that he has become.

He was also an inspiration to us fans. If their was one constant on a team which seemed to disappoint (a lot of the time) we knew Zach Thomas was going to show up and play hard - and he played hard regardless of any situation - even in spite of the fact that, in a lot of cases, it didn't really matter. He was a CONSTANT competitor - what any fan should be able to expect from all athletes in the NFL. He never let us down. Sure, there were times when Thomas didn't make that play we needed him to make, and there were times when he missed an important tackle. But it wasn't from a lack of effort. In fact, effort should be a word forever attached to Zach Thomas. This man played all out for 4 quarters of every game he participated in. His consistency was so that we all began to slide into the mode of taking it for granted because it was there. We expected it of him and Zach delivered.

In the end, it wasn't really age that caught up with Zach, it was the head injuries he sustained by pouring his body behind that huge heart of his. And he did it for pride and he did it for the fans. I can only imagine how difficult it was for Zach to stand on the sidelines last year and watch his team struggle. Part of him might have been thinking it wouldn't have mattered, but the part we loved about Zach would have been out there throwing his body around with everything he had just to make a difference for his team, for the fans - despite how fruitless his efforts might have been at the end result.

Though we all hate to see Zach go, we all knew it was coming. It was inevitable. His head injuries were piling up, his salary is pretty high for an uncertainty, and his age doesn't equal up to this team's need to get younger in this time of total rebuilding.

The new regime prefers large LBs. And we'll find one who is much larger than Zach in stature, but they'll have a helluva time replacing his heart.

We'll miss you Zach. Thanks for the great memories and the effort you gave to the Miami Dolphins and its fans.

Dear Mr. Zach Thomas,
I think I speak for every Dolphins fan when I say that Valentine's Day 2008 will be remembered as a day when all our hearts were broken. My wife and I were crushed when we saw the news yesterday. I sank down in the chair as my wife let out a sad "Nooooo", while we read the article together. My son who will be 2 in 6 days LOVES saying "Miami Dolphins", and knows who you are because I have a signed plaque of yours right next to my "1972 Perfect Season" plaque in my computer room. It's sad knowing that my son won't be able to grow up watching you play and see how far hard work and a great attitude will get you. Next year will probably be his 1st game ever at the stadium, and he won't hear your name called. We take solace knowing that your name and number will without a doubt be right up there for all to see at the stadium.You have been nothing short of stellar during your tenure as a Miami Dolphin. You gave 110% all the time, every time. You never felt the need to talk trash like so many players do today. Your actions on and off the field spoke volumes of your personality and character. Every time they announced your name as you ran out of the tunnel onto the field, that stadium rocked. If we had a team full of players like yourself the Dolphins would be unstoppable. You will always be a champion, and a Miami Dolphin in the fans eyes. Good luck to you and God Bless

no reward? the man has made millions of dollars

get out of here

I gotta agree with you. It not like he didnt accomplish anything. Money aside even, I think he feels greatly rewarded that he is, was, and always will be the face of a dominant Miami dolphins defense for over a decade as well as one of the many faces of a prooud franchise. Its horrible he never had the chance to get a ring with us and was never rewarded in that sense, but to say he wasnt rewarded for anything... Every Miami Dolphin fan will remember him for all eternity, that in itself is rewarding.

I am very disappointed that Zach is gone, but there are things we don't know:

Was he interested in staying at Miami at this point (rebuilding) at the end of his career?
Was he interested in taking a pay cut, play at vet min + incentives?
Were the Dolphins interested having him at that price?
Was he really healthy?

I am sure others will think of few mor questions.

I would have loved to see him finish his career in Miami and retire as a Dolphin, but such is life!

no reward? the man has made millions of dollars

get out of here

I think the poster's point was despite everything he was classy and dedicated and never was a problem for anyone..

Now I can tell you a hundred of guys who have cheated, beat their wives, took drugs who also "made millions"....give credit where credit is due.

I think the poster's point was despite everything he was classy and dedicated and never was a problem for anyone..

Now I can tell you a hundred of guys who have cheated, beat their wives, took drugs who also "made millions"....give credit where credit is due.

And that 100 guys is just from the last 4 Patriots AFC title teams!

and thats why thomas has had a long and prosperous career

as can be witnessed by his bank account

sorry, but i have a hard time feeling bad for someone who has made tens of millions of dollars to play the game of football. regardless if he was cut at the age of 35

My Farewell to Zach Thomas

You have to appreciate what a person like Zach Thomas has meant to an organization and fanbase. From his rookie year he was known to be too small, and not exactly the prototypical MLB in the NFL at 5'11 and 228lbs.

But for 12 seasons he has been the heart and soul of the Miami Dolphins, through the good times and the bad. When its all said and done he is by far the best linebacker the dolphins have ever had, and to boot he has more tackles then any linebacker in the Hall of Fame at the moment.

So this is not a post about lost hero's or a dying team trying to rebuild yet again its a thank you to Zach Thomas and all he has done for the organization on and off the field, and for being the classy professional all pro athletes should aspire to be.

On behalf of every Dolphfan out there I wish you the best Zach, and I hope you land in a contending team so that you can live the dream to win the Super Bowl! And know that all your fans are supporting you! :(

Back
Top Bottom