MERGED: Wade Smith May Play Center | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Wade Smith May Play Center

Nappy Roots said:
in my eyes, the center has to be extremely strong and extremely smart. and smith is neither of these. so i dunno.

seth mckinney extremely smart? Tim Ruddy extremely strong?

Crzynick25 said:
seth mckinney extremely smart? Tim Ruddy extremely strong?

tim ruddy was strong for his size, and he was smart. seth mckinny is not smart, but he sucks, so whats your point about him?

my point is your saying a center HAS to be extremely stong and extremely smart, Ruddy wasent that strong and never moved people off the ball, but was one of the best in reading the defence and blitz's, im just saying that our last two centers dont match what you say a center HAS to be, so Smith could still be succesful if he can be half as good as Ruddy was

Say Nappy---I'd really like to know what you base your opinion of Seth's intelligence on. I notice you're 18 years old or at least that's what it says. I don't know ANY 18 year olds that are qualified to judge someone's intelligence by what they read on some internet thread. If you believe the stuff you read here you are either very gullible, nieve, or just plain stupid. Which is it?
Seth finished his eligibility in college ball with a Master's degree in hand. He was an academic all-american and graduated with a 3.6+ gpa from Texas A&M. His dad is a medical Dr. and a former chief of staff for the Governor of Texas. Those kind of folks don't begat stupid kids. I've known Seth and his family a long time and it has been my privilege to know them.

uncle don said:
Say Nappy---I'd really like to know what you base your opinion of Seth's intelligence on. I notice you're 18 years old or at least that's what it says. I don't know ANY 18 year olds that are qualified to judge someone's intelligence by what they read on some internet thread. If you believe the stuff you read here you are either very gullible, nieve, or just plain stupid. Which is it?
Seth finished his eligibility in college ball with a Master's degree in hand. He was an academic all-american and graduated with a 3.6+ gpa from Texas A&M. His dad is a medical Dr. and a former chief of staff for the Governor of Texas. Those kind of folks don't begat stupid kids. I've known Seth and his family a long time and it has been my privilege to know them.

If what you say is true, then what we saw last year was not him being dumb...but lack of good coaching. Coach HH should correct that. Im glad he is thinking of using Smith at center, I'm envisioning a strong competition between Smith, St Clair (he played C in college) and Seth. IMO coach HH has the vision to see which player will have the greatest upside at that position.

uncle don said:

theres a difference between football smarts and school smarts. i base my opinion on watching the football games and seeing him blow calls at the line, and totally missing blocks.

Nappy Roots said:
theres a difference between football smarts and school smarts. i base my opinion on watching the football games and seeing him blow calls at the line, and totally missing blocks.

He's 100% right, no one stated that Seth was dumb, when we stated he wasnt Extremely smart noone was referring to his IQ, SAT scores or GPA, it what he does on the field, and mentally what he does on the field is poor at best, now wheter this is because of Tony Wise being a poor coach that remains to be seen but i do know Tim Ruddy did a fine job while playing for Tony Wise making the correct calls

Well, i suppose DLinemen can now just sack the QB head on instead of from the side with Wade under center rather than tackle. lol. hopefully houck knows what he's doing and better make Smith gain some strength and weight.

If he was blowing calls at the line of scrimmage then what were they and how do you know he made the wrong call. There was so much miscommunication last year it was unbelievable but just so you know--all Seth did was identify what was being called the Mike backer and then everyone is responsible for counting from there. Could have Seth played better??--absolutely and they all could have . A whole lot of what everybody thought they saw was the result of somone else on the line not communicating what they were doing with Seth and then Seth having to try to pick up a free runner he originally thought was someone else's responsibility. Those last second, desperate attempts to block someone can make you look pretty bad when you don't know where they are coming from. I watched Seth for four years in a zone scheme when he knew where he was going and technically he was very sound. He is also a record holder at A&M in the power clean at 410 lbs. so he is plenty strong.

Regan21286 said:
Well, i suppose DLinemen can now just sack the QB head on instead of from the side with Wade under center rather than tackle. lol. hopefully houck knows what he's doing and better make Smith gain some strength and weight.

There is a huge difference between Tackle and Center being a tackle your pretty much left on a island unless you get a running back to come over and help you out, in smiths rookie year his main problem was with the speed rushes like dwight freeny he did a reasonably adequate job against bull rushers, at center he will never have to really worry about the speed rushers and will have guard help on linebacker blitzes, also the main thing is he will not be head on with anyone unless playing the 3-4 in which he will have guard help again

uncle don said:
If he was blowing calls at the line of scrimmage then what were they and how do you know he made the wrong call. There was so much miscommunication last year it was unbelievable but just so you know--all Seth did was identify what was being called the Mike backer and then everyone is responsible for counting from there. Could have Seth played better??--absolutely and they all could have . A whole lot of what everybody thought they saw was the result of somone else on the line not communicating what they were doing with Seth and then Seth having to try to pick up a free runner he originally thought was someone else's responsibility. Those last second, desperate attempts to block someone can make you look pretty bad when you don't know where they are coming from. I watched Seth for four years in a zone scheme when he knew where he was going and technically he was very sound. He is also a record holder at A&M in the power clean at 410 lbs. so he is plenty strong.

There is a reason he never could beat Tim Ruddy out at Center was cause it was known he couldnt make the calls, that is his main weakness, Ruddy who was great in his day, but buy the time Seth came Ruddy had shoulder and knee problems and probably should have been out a few years earlyer than he was but still Seth couldnt take the job from him. and like you said Seth was only responceable for the mike was he couldnt make all the calls they had to simplify it, looks at guys like Ruddy and Kevin Mawee they make all the Oline Calls the center is the QB of the Oline its his job to make the reads, that why you see them yelling and pointing in games while the QB is caling signals or audibleing.

WRONG.... You don't have to be extremely strong to play C. Look at Casey Wiegmann, Kevin Mawae, Tom Nalen, and Jeff Saturday. None are strong, they all range from quick- to very quick. All have good leg drive. None have long arms. None are exceptionally large.

So this idea of a center having to be very strong is well... very wrong...

The only thing Wade Smith might struggle with is picking up the line calls but if Houck is serious about this maybe he can teach him these calls. So yes it's a damn good idea.

Tim Ruddy very strong.... :shakeno:

Cryznick--if you'll go back and edit that last post with some punctuation maybe I can figure out exactly what you said.:eek:

I dunno why you guys are getting upset abou this, Smith did an awsome job at LT in his rookie season when he weighed around 290 lbs. He has put on some muscle mass and could be awsome at ceneter. The fact is we have more glaring holes like our Running back and Qb then our offensive line. Would you rather have Mckiney, I wouldn't, Hadnot maybe able to do the job but Smith has proven him self as a starter when we went 10-6 (those were the days)
LT McDougle
LG James
C Smith/Hadnot
RG Carey
RT St. Clair

Back
Top Bottom