Merged:What Saban thinks of Feeley/Signals from Saban | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged:What Saban thinks of Feeley/Signals from Saban

Basically the deal here is that Saban started his tenure with the team talking like Feeley would be handed the keys to the car. Ever since then (and with him watching more and more game film I'm sure), he's backed off of his public support of Feeley little by little. Heck, the damn "Jay Fiedler" reference says it all -- he must not have the name "AJ FEELEY" swirling around in his head too much.

BlueFin said:
Alex Smith is an extremely intelligent QB who ran a complex offense in Utah derived from Linehans offense in Minnesota, it required decision making on every play from its quarterback.

I do not think it would take him a lot of time to develop, he is just too smart.

In fact, if drafted, and signed early enough to get into camp and learn the offense, I would expect him to beat out AJ and Frerotte and start on opening day.
I'm not sure I'd go that far -- coaches usually like to protect big investments like that a little more. I do agree that he could learn the offense by opening day, but I doubt he'd be out there starting. If he indeed won the job based on ability I bet Frerotte would start for a while anyway.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Just as your doing!:wink:

Did I ever say I wasnt?... :wink:

Again, its all about perception, in reality, NEITHER of us know what he meant by that comment.

shouright said:
Do you think Don Shula would've ever made that quote about Dan Marino? Sure it's factual, but you say that when you're making a specific point about someone.

Did Shula INHERIT Marino? And also, I dont think a reporter ever asked Shula regarding the QB position once Marino came in.. If Marino had pulled a Kurt Warner 5 years after lighting it up, Shula would have pulled him as well...

Feeley struggled mightily to get the playbook that Wanny had in place (sort of) last season under his belt. He was slow. Feeley has some things on Ferrotte but Ferrotte has some things on Feeley. Ferrotte has been around longer, and he knows Linehart's system. Gus has a strong arm and is a systems player. I predict Gus starts the season for us and plays until injury or inadequate play takes him out of the line-up.

Feeley is younger, and somewhat more athletic. He is unknown in terms of his psyche over a long period of time on the playing field. In other words it is unknown whether or not he can pull us out of the fire more times then not, or if he can stay within the system when we have a lead, or if he can show leadership skills when we are in an all out war with a division foe and so on. Feeley and Ferrotte are not a bad combo - I hope!

BlueFin said:
Alex Smith is an extremely intelligent QB who ran a complex offense in Utah derived from Linehans offense in Minnesota, it required decision making on every play from its quarterback.

I do not think it would take him a lot of time to develop, he is just too smart.

In fact, if drafted, and signed early enough to get into camp and learn the offense, I would expect him to beat out AJ and Frerotte and start on opening day.

i think that's waaaay too optimistic. i can see your point about his mental development, but he's gotta develop to be nfl ready physically too.

that being said tho..... draft smith!!

and as for the thread title.

its called a "kick up the arse", ladies and gentlemen. its the second time this week he's given one of those to feeley. for his sake, i hope he gets the point.

arsenal said:
i never said they werent more important... doesn't mean we dont want the best guy there... why didnt the pats just say we dont need dillion we won with antwoin smith... no cause they know a dominint rusher can only make your offense more potent...

you act like a running back doesn't mean anything and it doesn't make a difference which is crazy

I never said it "doesn't mean anything", I said it was less important.

Denver has proven with the right system and line they can take our rejects and make 1000 yard rushers out of them.

When you break it all down, it doesn't make logical sense to use a #2 pick, something we may never see again in our lifetime, on a position with a short shelf life that isn't as critical as other positions. Unless, its a runner of rare talent that rarely comes along, I don't see that in this group of runners, they are very good, but they are not of that rare group. Each of them have faults.

Runners can always be found elsewhere, Shawn Alexander and Edgerrin James are perfect examples of how teams now realize that a high priced runner is less important than their quarterback.

Bot Seattle and Indy would be willing to give up their marquee runners for second round picks, do you think they would give their quarterbacks up for that? Do you think Saban would give AJ back to Philly for our second rounder?......of course he would.

shouright said:
I'm not sure I'd go that far -- coaches usually like to protect big investments like that a little more. I do agree that he could learn the offense by opening day, but I doubt he'd be out there starting. If he indeed won the job based on ability I bet Frerotte would start for a while anyway.

Look, the last part of my post was simply what I would predict to happen, of course it might not, he might not start until the 7th game like Marino, or he could start from day one like Manning.

The point I was making was, I do not think he will take a long time to develop at all, his intangibles are just too high.

Physically he was 6'4" 217 pounds at the combine at 20 years old, Marino was 6'4" 224 as a pro, Alex is physically ready to play.

BlueFin said:
The point I was making was, I do not think he will take a long time to develop at all, his intangibles are just too high.

Physically he was 6'4" 217 pounds at the combine at 20 years old, Marino was 6'4" 224 as a pro, Alex is physically ready to play.

i'm totally on the smith bandwagon, but its been widely noted that he did play largely out of the shotgun and he needs time and reps to get used to playing in a different system.

when i said he needs to develop physically i meant muscle memory as much as mass.

i'd like to see him sitting for the first half of the year whilst developing in training then getting some game time in the second half of the sesason.

as for who he's sitting behind during this coming year - couldn't give a monkey's :)

I don't really see how signing Frerotte points to Feeley's abilities. I'm not sold on Feeley either but I mean we had no other QB's on the roster. And there is also this thing called depth.

I think Gus is starting in the minds of the coaches

in order for AJ to start, he must have a GREATTT training camp

******unless Alex is drafted and ready on opening day****

When I think of A. J. Feeley, all that comes to mind about him is that he has "surfer dude" looks, wears a ball cap backwards on the sideline, and dates Heather Mitts. NONE of that has any bearing on his QB abilities in the least. In other words, WHAT DOES HE HAVE that makes him be a compelling choice to even be on the field?

I'm sure Saban is saying the same thing.

You KNOW what Alex Smith is as a QB now.

If Gus beats out Feeley in TC and we haven't drafted a QB this year, that decision may very well come back to bite us in the rump.

bigbade said:
I don't really see how signing Frerotte points to Feeley's abilities. I'm not sold on Feeley either but I mean we had no other QB's on the roster. And there is also this thing called depth.

Bear in mind though that there were reports of an internal feud between RS an SL over this. That wouldn't be an issue if Frerrotte was being signed just for depth. Also, Frerrotte came out and said that he was promised an opportunity to start. AJ has first shot, but It's clear that nobody (incl. Saban) feels comfortable in claiming AJ is the QB of the future.

Back
Top Bottom