Merged:What Saban thinks of Feeley/Signals from Saban | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged:What Saban thinks of Feeley/Signals from Saban

shouright said:
Everybody's speculating about the draft. Here are the signals I'm reading from Saban:

1) The signing of Gus Frerotte -- this says he isn't totally sold on Feeley.

2) The re-signing of Sage Rosenfels -- says the same thing.

3) Saban's quote that Feeley "needs to be responsible for his own self-determination" in the QB competition with Frerotte. Says to me that Saban may believe Feeley is low in the intangibles associated with the QB position, which has been speculated here before.

4) Saban being more "public" (uncharacteristic for Saban) in his hunt for Ricky Williams just after attending Alex Smith's workout -- says to me that he may be trying to secure the RB position with Ricky so we don't have to draft a RB #1.

All in all I think these things say he was very impressed by Alex Smith. So impressed that I think he's doing what he has to do to be able to draft him. If Ricky isn't interested in playing, don't be surprised to see a trade for Travis Henry soon.

I agree with all your assessments, thats how I read it too.

Also, remember how he stressed the importance of the QB position in his opening press conference.

jreg1 said:
this may be true.....but it could also be that nick is holding a two and a seven offsuit and is bluffing cleveland and other teams into thinking hes going to put all his chips in the middle of the table and take a qb when he isn't....nick is just waiting to see what the flop is going to be before he decides how much to bet!!!!:roflmao:

Maybe, but if Ricky does come back strong there is hardly a need to spend the #2 pick in a draft on a runner.

catapano said:
he kind of impressed me with his touch passes in the game he played this year just dropping the ball right into the bread basket, looked like he had a better touch than feeley. im just not sure he would survive a season twith our o-line

Oh Please, he played one game, and he played average at best. His touch passes weren't that good.

jreg1 said:
this may be true.....but it could also be that nick is holding a two and a seven offsuit and is bluffing cleveland and other teams into thinking hes going to put all his chips in the middle of the table and take a qb when he isn't....nick is just waiting to see what the flop is going to be before he decides how much to bet!!!!:roflmao:
:lol: exactly.

Looks like our draft board is shaping up to be

Alex Smith
Carnell Williams
Marcus Spears

BlueFin said:
Maybe, but if Ricky does come back strong there is hardly a need to spend the #2 pick in a draft on a runner.
:eek:

Considering Ricky can't even come back to the team until 3 months after the draft I'm trying to figure out how this scenario is going to work.

Maybe he'll send his astro-body?

Would you really trust Ricky or are you so determined to get a QB that you would compromise your good judgement and simply go with crossed fingers?

Thats a perfect example of a freudian slip.He didnt mean to say it but it was on his mind.I magine the problems he would have if we signed Lamont Jordan with Gordon in camp.Wanny had problems with that one.

inFINSible said:
:eek:

Considering Ricky can't even come back to the team until 3 months after the draft I'm trying to figure out how this scenario is going to work.

Maybe he'll send his astro-body?

Would you really trust Ricky or are you so determined to get a QB that you would compromise your good judgement and simply go with crossed fingers?

1) This is a deep runningback draft, we don't have to spend the #2 Pick of a draft on a position with an average shelf life of 4 or 5 years.

2) Ricky Williams after a year off is a better runningback than AJ Feeley is a quarterback.

3) Shouright's point about this Ricky thing surfacing right after the QB workouts of Smith and Rodgers(both being described as two of the best in ten years) makes a lot of sense to me.

4) I don't think we need to spend the #2 pick on a runner, even if Ricky doesn't come back, so if he does its gravy.:D

BlueFin said:
1) This is a deep runningback draft, we don't have to spend the #2 Pick of a draft on a position with an average shelf life of 4 or 5 years.

2) Ricky Williams after a year off is a better runningback than AJ Feeley is a quarterback.

3) Shouright's point about this Ricky thing surfacing right after the QB workouts of Smith and Rodgers(both being described as two of the best in ten years) makes a lot of sense to me.

4) I don't think we need to spend the #2 pick on a runner, even if Ricky doesn't come back, so if he does its gravy.:D
1) What's the average shelf life of a QB? 1b) What does average shelf life have to do with anything?

2) Is he? I wouldn't know, I've never seen Ricky take a year off, lose 30 lbs and then play again. When did you see him do that?

3)Coincidence makes sense too.

4) I can't argue against what you think but, I can say that I think a franchise RB is exactly what we need to turn this offense from bad to good.

I think Saban is allowed a little bit of a slip of the tongue. Besides, before the draft, people ALWAYS try and deceive other teams, especially trade partners.

If he doesn't draft somebody he's going to go with Feeley. I can't possibly fathom anybody with football knowledge coming to a team and saying, "You know who we need to run this team? Gus Frerotte."

If Frerotte starts, I'm just going to cry.

inFINSible said:
1) What's the average shelf life of a QB? 1b) What does average shelf life have to do with anything?

2) Is he? I wouldn't know, I've never seen Ricky take a year off, lose 30 lbs and then play again. When did you see him do that?

3)Coincidence makes sense too.

4) I can't argue against what you think but, I can say that I think a franchise RB is exactly what we need to turn this offense from bad to good.

Ok, lets consider your last statement and forget the rest for the moment......

"I can say that I think a franchise RB is exactly what we need to turn this offense from bad to good" - InFINSible

Now I ask you, please describe for me how acquiring Ricky Willliams, who led the entire NFL in rushing in 2003, improved our football team over free agent castoff Lamar Smith?

Was the leagues leading rusher "exactly what we needed to turn this offense from bad to good" as you put it?

your telling me we would have done just as well without ricky than with ricky? be serious we saw what happened to our team without him... you need a lot of pieces to make a team, right now with the coaching and the players we could be a young franchise running back away from a pretty damn good offense, and we've beefed up our defense so really from a real good team...

arsenal said:
your telling me we would have done just as well without ricky than with ricky? be serious we saw what happened to our team without him... you need a lot of pieces to make a team, right now with the coaching and the players we could be a young franchise running back away from a pretty damn good offense, and we've beefed up our defense so really from a real good team...

Excuse me, but we did better with Lamar Smith than we did with Rciky Williams.

BlueFin said:
Ok, lets consider your last statement and forget the rest for the moment......

"I can say that I think a franchise RB is exactly what we need to turn this offense from bad to good" - InFINSible

Now I ask you, please describe for me how acquiring Ricky Willliams, who led the entire NFL in rushing in 2003, improved our football team over free agent castoff Lamar Smith?

Was the leagues leading rusher "exactly what we needed to turn this offense from bad to good" as you put it?
If we had a QB who could actually throw the ball to all parts of the field we would have gone to the SB in 2002 (the year Ricky led the league in rushing), now, we have three that can do that.

Back
Top Bottom