Merged:What Saban thinks of Feeley/Signals from Saban | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged:What Saban thinks of Feeley/Signals from Saban

inFINSible said:
If we had a QB who could actually throw the ball to all parts of the field we would have gone to the SB in 2002 (the year Ricky led the league in rushing), now, we have three that can do that.

I stand corrected on the year, but the point remains the same.

We have three now do we?

Sage looked as good as AJ last year, I'll grant you that, the problem is Jay Fiedler looked as good as both of them.

And Frerotte? He hasn't been able to land a job anywhere else as a starter, now all the sudden hes the starter for the Miami Dolphins? In his middle thirties?

When did Dolphins fans drop their standards so low for the most important position on the field?

The last two first round QB's we drafted took us to Superbowls and went to the Hall of Fame, the last three runners we drafted in the first round were busts and took us nowhere.

Anyway, we'll find out in about a month who's reading Saban right on this one.

BlueFin said:
I stand corrected on the year, but the point remains the same.

We have three now do we?

Sage looked as good as AJ last year, I'll grant you that, the problem is Jay Fiedler looked as good as both of them.

And Frerotte? He hasn't been able to land a job anywhere else as a starter, now all the sudden hes the starter for the Miami Dolphins? In his middle thirties?

When did Dolphins fans drop their standards so low for the most important position on the field?

The last two first round QB's we drafted took us to Superbowls and went to the Hall of Fame, the last three runners we drafted in the first round were busts and took us nowhere.

Anyway, we'll find out in about a month who's reading Saban right on this one.
I haven't dropped my standards, nor am I ignoring the position. We have a veteran back-up, and don't kid yourself, that's what Frerrotte will be, we have a young guy who can develop in Sage, and we have a semi-young guy that should be reaching his prime, whatever that may be.

I'm perfectly comfortable going into the season with what we have because I think that Feeley is a lot better than what he showed last year and I think he's going to make a lot of people look foolish for discounting him.

Past drafts and what was chosen have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on this argument. There are hundreds of examples to provide both of us with plenty of ammo for this debate.

We're only going to truly find out what happens, like you said, after it happens.

good luck. ;)

BlueFin said:
Excuse me, but we did better with Lamar Smith than we did with Rciky Williams.

aight so you can have your alex smith with lamar smith backfield and i'll take feeley and ricky any day, haha...

cant believe you dont think ricky made a difference to our offense... he got 1800 yards yet just because the rest of the team wasn't as good as when lamar was around, his being here was no benefit to us? please...

arsenal said:
aight so you can have your alex smith with lamar smith backfield and i'll take feeley and ricky any day, haha...

cant believe you dont think ricky made a difference to our offense... he got 1800 yards yet just because the rest of the team wasn't as good as when lamar was around, his being here was no benefit to us? please...

Please do explain how the rest of the team wasn't as good when Ricky led the league in rushing (and no playoffs) as it was when Lamar took us to the playoffs two straight years. Seems to me we more or less had the same personnel?

I think the point is, you can rely too heavily on a marquee back and ignore your passing game to much, I think thats what happened with Ricky here.

New England did just as well with Antwoin Smith as they did with Corey Dillion.

QB and O-line or more important than the runner.

I think you guys are being played. None of us nor the media know Saban, IMO he is like Jimmy Johnson in the way he likes to use the media as a tool to send messages out to players and people. His comment basically says we have not even had a team meeting, how the heck am I going to make a depth chart? That only tells me that he is open to all the players on the team and he is not married to any one guy just because he started last year. He will put the best players on the field AFTER he has had a chance to see them practive and play.

No mystery in that concept.

You guys can go crazy trying to read betwen Slick Nicks lines.

People, Saban is UNREADABLE.. Everyone just applies what they WANT to hear to every statement he makes.. In reality, Not a single one of us knows what the heck he is thinking or what his true intentions are.. One could just as easily look at those statements and see that he is adding competition to make Feeley the best that he can be.. This is a fair competition mind you, not the farce that went on last offseason.

arsenal said:

offenseively, the '02 team was better than the '00 team that won the division personnel wise. '02 fiedler was better than '00 fiedler, ricky was better than lamar, the o-line was better, and cc was a better complement to og than shepard was. norv turner made that offense suck, it wasn't the team. he didn't adjust his system to the talent and simple ran ricky to death. so, instead of what probably should have been a 12-4 season and a bye and who knows what else with a competent o.c., we finished out of the money. and that's what you get with franchise rbs. offensive coordinators think that the answer to winning is running their stallion 30-35 times a game, and that's what contributes to the short shelf life of rbs, and is why imo ricky retired- they were going to kill him! just like larry brown, just like earl campbell, and every other running back that was done by the age of 28.

shouright said:
Everybody's speculating about the draft. Here are the signals I'm reading from Saban:

1) The signing of Gus Frerotte -- this says he isn't totally sold on Feeley.

2) The re-signing of Sage Rosenfels -- says the same thing.

3) Saban's quote that Feeley "needs to be responsible for his own self-determination" in the QB competition with Frerotte. Says to me that Saban may believe Feeley is low in the intangibles associated with the QB position, which has been speculated here before.

4) Saban being more "public" (uncharacteristic for Saban) in his hunt for Ricky Williams just after attending Alex Smith's workout -- says to me that he may be trying to secure the RB position with Ricky so we don't have to draft a RB #1.

All in all I think these things say he was very impressed by Alex Smith. So impressed that I think he's doing what he has to do to be able to draft him. If Ricky isn't interested in playing, don't be surprised to see a trade for Travis Henry soon.

Wow talk about reading what you want into the statements.

1 signing of Frerrotte and Rosenfels - Saban said from day 1 that he was going to sign a veteran, we had 1 qb on teh roster, 1. No if he was committed to AJ he would have just stayed with 1 qb on teh roster. Yep that signing said it all! Yeah that Sage signing also siad volumes when he signed that 1 yr min deal! (end sarcasm).

2 Sabans comment was in response to a question that if he was having a competition wasnt AJ at a disadvantage as Gus has been in that system. Saban said it was up to AJ to take it on himself to learn. Yeah that CLEARLY says he has no confidence in AJ! :shakeno:

3. Saban may very weell like Smith, but do you think if he didnt, he would say so? Please

I do think the quote about Feeley "needs to be responsible for his own self-determination" was a shot at Feeley to stop jet setting with Heather and get your @$$ down here and work, because he will not put up with the excuse that he is having a hard time learning the offense like last year.

It's all up to Feeley!

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I do think the quote about Feeley "needs to be responsible for his own self-determination" was a shot at Feeley to stop jet setting with Heather and get your @$$ down here and work, because he will not put up with the excuse that he is having a hard time learning the offense like last year.

It's all up to Feeley!

Or it could be just stating a fact. Why does it have to be a shot at anyone? Feeley IS indeed in charge of his own self determination. Saban was merely stating a truth. But of course, people always skew words to fit their perceptions and biases.

SkapePhin said:
Or it could be just stating a fact. Why does it have to be a shot at anyone? Feeley IS indeed in charge of his own self determination. Saban was merely stating a truth. But of course, people always skew words to fit their perceptions and biases.

Just as your doing!:wink:

BlueFin said:
Please do explain how the rest of the team wasn't as good when Ricky led the league in rushing (and no playoffs) as it was when Lamar took us to the playoffs two straight years. Seems to me we more or less had the same personnel?

I think the point is, you can rely too heavily on a marquee back and ignore your passing game to much, I think thats what happened with Ricky here.

New England did just as well with Antwoin Smith as they did with Corey Dillion.

QB and O-line or more important than the runner.

i never said they werent more important... doesn't mean we dont want the best guy there... why didnt the pats just say we dont need dillion we won with antwoin smith... no cause they know a dominint rusher can only make your offense more potent...

you act like a running back doesn't mean anything and it doesn't make a difference which is crazy

SkapePhin said:
Do you think Don Shula would've ever made that quote about Dan Marino? Sure it's factual, but you say that when you're making a specific point about someone.

Alex Smith is an extremely intelligent QB who ran a complex offense in Utah derived from Linehans offense in Minnesota, it required decision making on every play from its quarterback.

I do not think it would take him a lot of time to develop, he is just too smart.

In fact, if drafted, and signed early enough to get into camp and learn the offense, I would expect him to beat out AJ and Frerotte and start on opening day.

Back
Top Bottom