Merged X12: Ongoing Henne vs. Sanchez Debate... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged X12: Ongoing Henne vs. Sanchez Debate...

Hey. It's not really fair because Henne sat a year and learned behind one of the smartest QB's of all time in Chad Pennington. Mark Sanchez came in as a rookie and started. A year (or more) on the bench has does good for a lot of payers (Tom Brady, Steve Young, Brett Favre, etc). Not comparing Henne with those players, but just again pointing out the positives of sitting & learning.

Edit: So who do you think would perform better, rookie Henne or second year Henne? If you guys started rookie Henne in 2008 would you have gone 11-5? I very much doubt it.
No, they probably wouldn't have gone 11-5. However, don't make it sound like Sanchez was this amazing player that turned the Jets around. The Jets went 9-7 in 2008 without him and went 9-7 in 2009 with him. It isn't like he skyrocketed the team or anything. If Henne took over in 2008, he would have been taking over a 1-15 team, not a 9-7 team.

I don't think Henne vs Sanchez is even close really. I think Henne is leaps and bounds better right now. I think everyone is hyping Sanchez because of he played well in the playoffs and he's pretty raw and can be molded. Henne was also a 2nd round pick, and not 2nd overall (or 3rd or 4th or whatever Sanchez was). The two are going to be compared simply because they are young and 2nd year starters in the same division.

Generally fans are f'ing retarded. How much exposure did Sanchez get last year on ESPN? How much did Henne? Well that's typically how casual fans form their opinion.

Jets are just the new flavor of the year.

Generally fans are f'ing retarded. How much exposure did Sanchez get last year on ESPN? How much did Henne? Well that's typically how casual fans form their opinion.

Jets are just the new flavor of the year.

Well said! :up:

yea well i cannot wait to play the jets and knock the taste out their mouth twice this year. Henne already had one of his best games against them

Just wait till they miss Jones and Washington and Faneca. We are loaded for the future and they got older.

Yep, our team is old. We will be lucky to get one competitive year out of a team w/ old guys like sanchez, Greene, brick, Mangold, Cotch, Edwards, Holmes, Keller, Harris, Scott, revis, Cromartie,...:lol:

Sanchez got every first team snap in the preseason, Henne was thrown into his first game with no first-teram practice. No slack being cut for that?

Clearly Pennington is better than Sanchez, and I think he's still better than Henne. I don't have a problem at all with Henne starting though.

Henne was "thrown in" w/ zero pressure at 0-3. Sanchez had pressure all year. I think overall henne had a better year last year BUT Sanchez stepped up when we needed him most and henne stepped back when you needed him most.

This doesn't mean Henne won't be able to play under pressure but last year he wasn't able to. I think both QBs are going to be good based off what I saw last year.

No, they probably wouldn't have gone 11-5. However, don't make it sound like Sanchez was this amazing player that turned the Jets around. The Jets went 9-7 in 2008 without him and went 9-7 in 2009 with him. It isn't like he skyrocketed the team or anything. If Henne took over in 2008, he would have been taking over a 1-15 team, not a 9-7 team.

but he didn't take over a 1-15 team and while we were 9-7 we had a HOF QB at 9-7. Was Sanchez great? of course not but he had a good season for a rookie. I am very happy w/ our QB situation as I think you guys are. It is possible that both of our teams have solved their QB question for a while.

MARK SANCHEZ IS NO CHAD HENNE
from The Bottlenose

Though the NFL, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, FOX, CBS, NBC, CMT, HGTV, Spike, FX, Bravo, TBS, TNT, CSPAN, CNN, MSNBC, CBN, E!, Hallmark, PBS, QVC and Telemundo networks would have you believe otherwise, Jets Quarterback Mark Sanchez is NOT the second coming of Johnny Unitas.

Rarely do you see such fanfare over a signal caller with passer rating of 63 and almost twice as many interceptions than touchdowns. But there he stands, a good looking fella in a very major market. A Saturday Night Live cameo already? At 23 years of age, and after one season? This guy is on the fast track.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Henne will be better. Every year from now on. Better. Chad did more with less last year. No Dustin Keller with his 4.4 speed. No Braylon Edwards, with his All-Pro pedigree. Hell, did we even have a Jerricho Cotchery on our roster? Maybe Bess.

Sanchez had a pretty nice arsenal of targets last year, yet it was Henne who notched three 300+ yard games, compared to none for Mark. Sure, Henne threw two more picks than touchdowns (12 TD, 14 INT), but at least one of those was slapped directly at the defender by Ted “Gabrielle Reece” Ginn.

You ever go to see a crappy comedy, but they put some actually funny bloopers over the end credits? That’s Mark Sanchez’s rookie year. A nice showing in the playoffs against Indianapolis (padded by an 80-yard blown coverage against Braylon Edwards) doesn’t erase a twelve touchdown, twenty interception year.

Starting in week five, Sanchez should have Santonio Holmes to throw to as well (assuming Holmes can keep his iPod off), and with a year under his belt, I do expect Mark to improve on his numbers. But Brandon Marshall in Miami looks to be a bigger game-changer for Henne.

I think Chad makes the leap. He already did much more, with much less. Henne probably won’t wind up shirtless on the cover of Men’s Health, but give me Chad over that pretty boy any day of the week

MARK SANCHEZ IS NO CHAD HENNE
from The Bottlenose

Though the NFL, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, FOX, CBS, NBC, CMT, HGTV, Spike, FX, Bravo, TBS, TNT, CSPAN, CNN, MSNBC, CBN, E!, Hallmark, PBS, QVC and Telemundo networks would have you believe otherwise, Jets Quarterback Mark Sanchez is NOT the second coming of Johnny Unitas.

Rarely do you see such fanfare over a signal caller with passer rating of 63 and almost twice as many interceptions than touchdowns. But there he stands, a good looking fella in a very major market. A Saturday Night Live cameo already? At 23 years of age, and after one season? This guy is on the fast track.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Henne will be better. Every year from now on. Better. Chad did more with less last year. No Dustin Keller with his 4.4 speed. No Braylon Edwards, with his All-Pro pedigree. Hell, did we even have a Jerricho Cotchery on our roster? Maybe Bess.

Sanchez had a pretty nice arsenal of targets last year, yet it was Henne who notched three 300+ yard games, compared to none for Mark. Sure, Henne threw two more picks than touchdowns (12 TD, 14 INT), but at least one of those was slapped directly at the defender by Ted “Gabrielle Reece” Ginn.

You ever go to see a crappy comedy, but they put some actually funny bloopers over the end credits? That’s Mark Sanchez’s rookie year. A nice showing in the playoffs against Indianapolis (padded by an 80-yard blown coverage against Braylon Edwards) doesn’t erase a twelve touchdown, twenty interception year.

Starting in week five, Sanchez should have Santonio Holmes to throw to as well (assuming Holmes can keep his iPod off), and with a year under his belt, I do expect Mark to improve on his numbers. But Brandon Marshall in Miami looks to be a bigger game-changer for Henne.

I think Chad makes the leap. He already did much more, with much less. Henne probably won’t wind up shirtless on the cover of Men’s Health, but give me Chad over that pretty boy any day of the week

What amateur wrote that garbage? what fanfare have we seen w/ sanchez?

Sanchez got every first team snap in the preseason, Henne was thrown into his first game with no first-teram practice. No slack being cut for that?

Clearly Pennington is better than Sanchez, and I think he's still better than Henne. I don't have a problem at all with Henne starting though.

Sorry good sir, I'm not buying that bold statement. Are you going to theorize to me that over the full 2008-2009 season Henne NEVER practiced with the first team? The NFL is a league where the backup QB is always one hit away from being in the game. Henne had to have practiced with the first team at some point during his first NFL season as he was the 2nd QB on the roster. Henne probably knew the playbook a lot better having studied it over an NFL season. Henne was probably able to watch more tape of NFL teams during his first season. He learned from one of the brightest QB's to ever play the game in Chad Pennington. He wasn't thrown into anything.

Mark Sanchez had to learn an NFL playbook for the first time. Had to get used to his timing with the receivers. Had to adjust to the speed of the game. All this after only starting 1 year in college vs Henne's 4 years as a starter and a year as a backup learning the NFL game. So Henne has experience over Sanchez and that is why he played better. But does that mean he is the better and more talented QB of the two? No, it doesn't.

And of course Chad is a better QB he's a 10 year vet. For goodness sakes...Joe Theismann was playing better than John Elway when Elway was a rookie (1983). Elway (famously) lined up behind a tackle(or was it a guard?) his rookie season. Doesn't mean that Theismann was more talented than Elway. Not comparing Sanchez to Elway or Pennington to Theismann. Just saying to try to be objective and keep things in perspective.

I didn't come up with this it was Phrozen Phish from Phinsider.com did, but this is probably the best arguement for Henne that i have seen in this debate.

Some numbers to consider beside Henne leading in Int's, completions %, and QB rating.
Number of 300 yds games career
Henne: 3 Sanchez 0
Number of games with 20 or more completions:
Henne 5 Sanchez 1
Number of TD passes in the fourth quarter of a win.
Henne 3 Sanchez 0
Number of 4th quarter game winning drives…as in led the team to a TD or FG which gave them a lead in the 4th quarter which held up and won the game.
Henne 4 Sanchez 0
Chad Henne has 7 career wins in 13 NFL starts
Mark Sanchez has 10 – in 18 NFL starts (including playoffs)
You can argue, with out a lot of difficulty, that Henne “won” four of his seven Dolphin victories by doing the things you want a quarterback to do. Move the ball in the fourth quarter and create points when you need them.
The Jets did not win a single game on Mark Sanchez’s arm. In their 10 wins whith him under center he passed for over 200 yds once…that was on opening day. In five of his 10 wins Sanchez passed for under 150 yds. In his We all know about the 20 ints, but 18 starts last year Sanchez had fewer than 15 completions 12 times.
Handing the ball off 40 times a game is not the measure of a great quarterback.
Winning games in the fourth quarter with your arm is.

Can't judge ANY QB by his first seasons...gotta let him grow into being an effective QB (although Jamarcus Russell took the wrong approach of growing into his position). Henne also had much more college experience than Sanchez. The sophomore slump is real as teams now have tape on the QB and start breaking down their tendencies.

How wasnt he able to play under pressure last year? Our offense was FINE our D is what blew us games....He didnt have any 5 INT games the way Dirty Sanchez did...and he did help bring us back "under pressure" against that awesome Jets D....Sanchez should have had a WAY better year then he did..he had weapons around him...Henne didnt...

Back
Top Bottom