Merged X12: Ongoing Henne vs. Sanchez Debate... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged X12: Ongoing Henne vs. Sanchez Debate...

Who cares about 300 yd games? b./c Henne was ineffective early in games and had to throw a million times that makes him better?

If Sanchez had as many attempts as henne he would have thrown for 150 more yards.

Again, who cares about # of games w/ 20 completions? Henne's last 2 20 comp games? both losses in the 2 biggest games of the year for Miami.

# of TD passes in the 4th qtr of a win? So it's Sanchez's fault that our D blew a lead against Miami in Miami and that we gave up 3 non-opffensive Tds to Miami at home? OR that we ran for a TD in the 4th qtr? This is so silly.

Henne is 7-6 and Sanchez 10-8, 10-8 looks a hell of alot better when you consider he's 2-1 in the playoffs w/ both wins being road wins.

In Miami's 3 most impoprtant games- Henne 0-3
In NYJ's 3 most important games- Sanchez 2-1

Sanchez was a ROOKIE, it's not good for rookies to throw 30-40+ times a game. Henne had a year to learna nd came in w/ NO pressure w/ the team 0-3 already. Once he faced pressure in dec he played his worst football while Sanchez played his best in our biggest games.

Junc you can't really believe that Henne didn't have pressure on him. We just came of a trip to the playoffs and we start 0-3. If anything there is more pressure on Henne to get the team back on track. I don't know what your philosophy is on winning and losing in the NFL but I can tell you one thing our FO's opinion is that they expect to win every game so to say Henne had no pressure is plain wrong.

Actually Henne had to throw for 300 yards in those games because our defense was atrocious. We were in huge holes that our defense put us in which the offense had to try and overcome. If you put Sanchez in that situation where he has to try and bring his team back do you know what happens? Multiple interceptions and not a chance at getting back in the game. With Henne at least we had a chance to win those games.

When it comes to attempt/completions per game do you know why Henne has more? It's because he is trusted to be able to lead the offense and make the plays/reads required of him. He is not taking a second fiddle to the RB's who are expected to do all of the work. If Sanchez was as good as you say he is he would have been given the chance to prove it, not sit back in the shadows of his O-line and RB and ride their coattails for wins.

Lastly to say Sanches doesn't have the experience Henne does is a pretty poor point. Sanchez was able to take every snap with the first team offense last year. Henne not so. Pennington took about 85% of the first team snaps in OTA's and training camp so to say Henne had plenty of work with the first stringers is flat out wrong. I would be willing to bet that Sanches had more first string reps in his first year of practice than Henne did in his 2 years combined.

Some of your thinking and reasoning is so flawed it's no wonder you are a Jet's fan.

Comments aside, i loved the flip flopping Tim Graham did.

Graham jumped on there, talking about how Sanchez is the better QB because he has more success and more experience and how he liked how he played in the championship game....though to be fair he then commented that neither Henne nor Sanchez are really anything special, just solid but never elite.

The host Jay Soderberg came out swinging, saying Henne was clearly the better quarterback with bigger upside, tougher, a better thrower and will be a top 10 QB in the league, multiple pro-bowler, and its not really debatable.

Graham quickly speaks up saying "oh, i agree, its how you phrase the question". When the guy writing the articles is so quick to jump sides, it might just be the people in the comments that are more logical.

Well said :up:

Once Ronnie went down against Tampa, and Ricky slowed down at the end of the season, obviously Henne had to carry more and thus made more mistakes. We have a nice group of receivers, but make no mistake, they are not big time number 1 guys ... we have that now.

As far as Henne, I think 3 fourth quarter comebacks in 13 games says alot

Henne was amazing in the loss against Houston? he led the Miami O to 3 pts through 2 qtrs(and an INT that led to 7 for Hou), 10 through 3 and 20 in the game and he was amazing?

Henne played his worst in the biggest games for Miami. You guys can blame the D, the running game, the coahcing and they may have all had a part in it but Chad henne played his worst football of the year in the biggest games for the Miami Dolphins in 2009.

Games in which opponents of the New York Jets scored more then 20 points:
Week 4: Jets @ Saints: 14-24 Lost
Week 5: Jets @ Dolphins: 27-31 Lost
Week 8: Jets vs Dolphins: 25-30 Lost
Week 10: Jets vs Jaguars: 22-24 Lost
Week 11: Jets @ Patriots: 14-31 Lost
Postseason Week 20: Jets @ Colts: 17-30 Lost

So Defense is only part of it, huh? As you pointed out, putting up 20 points in a game doesn't seem that big of a deal, yet time and again Sanchez couldn't climb out of that hole when seeing it from the other side. As well, when his defense clearly struggled in those games, Sanchez went 5-9 td/int in the regular season, though to be fair he did go 2-1 td/int against the Colts.
How this is even a debate is laughable, Henne put up better numbers in virtually every catagory, playing against a harder schedule, using a already less talented team and a more injured one, and still put us in playoff contention. The minute Sanchez's team started to struggle, the losses pilled on. Completing 12 passes per playoff game is not very convincing.

As for your rebuttle to my other post, Miami lost our pass catching back early(a precurser to salt in the wound of losing Ronnie, who catches out of the backfield) and got a massive 3 games more out of our nosetackle. Color me unimpressed.

Edit: for the record, in the 13 games in which Henne started, the opposing team scored over 20 points in 10 of them. Only the Jags, Panthers, and Trent Edwards lead Bills scored less then 20 points.

Once Ronnie went down against Tampa, and Ricky slowed down at the end of the season, obviously Henne had to carry more and thus made more mistakes. We have a nice group of receivers, but make no mistake, they are not big time number 1 guys ... we have that now.

As far as Henne, I think 3 fourth quarter comebacks in 13 games says alot

I think it's a good sign he didn'tfold in some 4th qtrs but the "comebacks" were:

-down 3 vs. NYJ
-down 1 vs. TB(b/c of a henne int that set up the go ahead TD for TB)
-down 2 vs. NE

These weren't exactly legendary comebacks.

Junc you can't really believe that Henne didn't have pressure on him. We just came of a trip to the playoffs and we start 0-3. If anything there is more pressure on Henne to get the team back on track. I don't know what your philosophy is on winning and losing in the NFL but I can tell you one thing our FO's opinion is that they expect to win every game so to say Henne had no pressure is plain wrong.

Actually Henne had to throw for 300 yards in those games because our defense was atrocious. We were in huge holes that our defense put us in which the offense had to try and overcome. If you put Sanchez in that situation where he has to try and bring his team back do you know what happens? Multiple interceptions and not a chance at getting back in the game. With Henne at least we had a chance to win those games.

When it comes to attempt/completions per game do you know why Henne has more? It's because he is trusted to be able to lead the offense and make the plays/reads required of him. He is not taking a second fiddle to the RB's who are expected to do all of the work. If Sanchez was as good as you say he is he would have been given the chance to prove it, not sit back in the shadows of his O-line and RB and ride their coattails for wins.

Lastly to say Sanches doesn't have the experience Henne does is a pretty poor point. Sanchez was able to take every snap with the first team offense last year. Henne not so. Pennington took about 85% of the first team snaps in OTA's and training camp so to say Henne had plenty of work with the first stringers is flat out wrong. I would be willing to bet that Sanches had more first string reps in his first year of practice than Henne did in his 2 years combined.

Some of your thinking and reasoning is so flawed it's no wonder you are a Jet's fan.

Everyone knew you overachieved a bit in 2008, no one expected Miami to be legit contenders in 2009 and when you start 0-3 it's near impossible to rebound and make the playoffs. That took the pressure off of him where he could just play and develop.

henne threw for 300 yds in those games b/c the opposing D's played soft w/ huge leads and while the D deserves its share of the blame for falling behind so does the O led by henne.

Henne had more att/comp a game b/c his teams were trailing more in games and Sanchez was a rookie QB.

Sanchez was a rookie, henne a 2nd year player who sat a year+ behind a great mentor. That is a HUGE difference, if you don't think so you haven't followed this game long.

I think it's a good sign he didn'tfold in some 4th qtrs but the "comebacks" were:

-down 3 vs. NYJ
-down 1 vs. TB(b/c of a henne int that set up the go ahead TD for TB)
-down 2 vs. NE

These weren't exactly legendary comebacks.

I agree they weren't HUGE, but important nonetheless.

The Pats game we were down 14-0 at the gate and it looked like we were going to bet blown away, but he brought us back. The TB game showed that he could rebound from his own mistakes. The Jets game was in prime time and he had a magnificent game.

There were other moments though, such as the panthers game when he made clutch throws, the titans game that brought us back to go to OT that gets me excited about him as the potential future.

Games in which opponents of the New York Jets scored more then 20 points:
Week 4: Jets @ Saints: 14-24 Lost
Week 5: Jets @ Dolphins: 27-31 Lost
Week 8: Jets vs Dolphins: 25-30 Lost
Week 10: Jets vs Jaguars: 22-24 Lost
Week 11: Jets @ Patriots: 14-31 Lost
Postseason Week 20: Jets @ Colts: 17-30 Lost

So Defense is only part of it, huh? As you pointed out, putting up 20 points in a game doesn't seem that big of a deal, yet time and again Sanchez couldn't climb out of that hole when seeing it from the other side. As well, when his defense clearly struggled in those games, Sanchez went 5-9 td/int in the regular season, though to be fair he did go 2-1 td/int against the Colts.
How this is even a debate is laughable, Henne put up better numbers in virtually every catagory, playing against a harder schedule, using a already less talented team and a more injured one, and still put us in playoff contention. The minute Sanchez's team started to struggle, the losses pilled on. Completing 12 passes per playoff game is not very convincing.

As for your rebuttle to my other post, Miami lost our pass catching back early(a precurser to salt in the wound of losing Ronnie, who catches out of the backfield) and got a massive 3 games more out of our nosetackle. Color me unimpressed.

Edit: for the record, in the 13 games in which Henne started, the opposing team scored over 20 points in 10 of them. Only the Jags, Panthers, and Trent Edwards lead Bills scored less then 20 points.

What is the point? Sanchez against the saints and apats and helped put us in a hole we couldn't overcome.

The dolphin games were certainly not sanchez's fault and the Jags game our D allowed a last minute TD. When did this happen to henne late in the year?

You guys are too into individual stats, this is why we have a genertaion of misnformed football fans that think Peyton is better than Brady or that Steve Young was better than Montana.

Henne was "thrown in" w/ zero pressure at 0-3. Sanchez had pressure all year.

That is absolutely, positively the most absurd thing I've seen written around here in at least a week...and that's saying something. Zero pressure? Are you kidding me? Last I checked, the Dolphins were the defending Division Champs in 2008. Their 0-3 start only INCREASED the pressure, it didn't decrease it. Nobody was saying oh well there goes the season. The pressure to win after starting the first three games with losses was incredible.

There's pressure on every team in any situation. There's always pressure to win. But I will say that expectations were much higher of Chad Henne than Mark Sanchez. Most everyone in and around the Jets understood that if you're starting a true rookie at QB, you live with the mistakes and the losses. After successfully enacting arguably the biggest one year turnaround in NFL history, winning the division and getting to the playoffs, nobody in Miami understood a single one of the team's 9 losses this year because expectations were high. Fans and media were even more critical than usual over the losses to the Colts and Saints, and those were the best teams in the league.

I think overall henne had a better year last year BUT Sanchez stepped up when we needed him most and henne stepped back when you needed him most.

What a cutesy and wholly inaccurate way to present the situation. The Miami defense allowed 28 points a game over the final three losses. Vince Young, Matt Schaub and Ben Rapelisberger had their way with the Miami defense. Not that Chad Henne had much of a chance to win the Steelers game since he was knocked out of it with a 92 QB rating and with the game still in reach at 17-10.

I always love nebulous, wholly unprovable and therefore undisprovable generic statements like "Sanchez came through for his team when it counted while Henne let his team down." Way to be a homer.

The problem is falling behind 27 is not just about the defense, the O plays a big role in that as well. if the O is putting up points you aren't falling behind by 27.

Henne had a very good game in a agme they fell behind 27-0 and lost 27-20 but Sanchez wasn't good when we WON 24-24 at Cincy in the playoffs?

Falling behind 27 pts is on the O as well, henne did a nice job leading them back but overall the game is a failure b/c they couldn't score points early and keep it a game.

part of the reason your D was ineffective and ours was not was that our QB wasn't turning it over and wasn't setting up your opponent in good FP.

I think both have the chance to be really good, I like what I saw out of both of them. This debate may go on forever, who knows? I'm not saying Sanchez is better right now, i think that is TBD. All I am saying is Sanchez played his best in our biggest games and Henne played his worst.

The Titans had scoring drives of 10 plays for 81 yds, 10 plays for 74 yds, and 5 plays for 78 yds. Henne also threw the game tying TD to Fasano during a 10 play, 90 yd TD drive.
The Texans had scoring drives of 6 plays for 45 yds (FG), 9 plays for 80 yds, 6 plays for 94 yds (all in the 1st quarter), 3 plays for 28 yds, and 12 plays for 60 yds (FG)
The Steelers had scoring drives of 12 plays for 80 yds, 6 plays for 67 yds, 9 plays for 52 yds (FG), 8 plays for 90 yds, 8 plays for 51 yds (FG), and 14 plays for 83 yds (FG)

Out of all of these drives, the only one you could blame the QB for would be the 3 play 28 yd drive Houston had (out of 12 drives in the game).

Now let's hear your retort please.....

I wonder what Chad Henne would be like if he had a good defense to hide behind ... I hope we find out this year

That is absolutely, positively the most absurd thing I've seen written around here in at least a week...and that's saying something. Zero pressure? Are you kidding me? Last I checked, the Dolphins were the defending Division Champs in 2008. Their 0-3 start only INCREASED the pressure, it didn't decrease it. Nobody was saying oh well there goes the season. The pressure to win after starting the first three games with losses was incredible.

There's pressure on every team in any situation. There's always pressure to win. But I will say that expectations were much higher of Chad Henne than Mark Sanchez. Most everyone in and around the Jets understood that if you're starting a true rookie at QB, you live with the mistakes and the losses. After successfully enacting arguably the biggest one year turnaround in NFL history, winning the division and getting to the playoffs, nobody in Miami understood a single one of the team's 9 losses this year because expectations were high. Fans and media were even more critical than usual over the losses to the Colts and Saints, and those were the best teams in the league.

What a cutesy and wholly inaccurate way to present the situation. The Miami defense allowed 28 points a game over the final three losses. Vince Young, Matt Schaub and Ben Rapelisberger had their way with the Miami defense. Not that Chad Henne had much of a chance to win the Steelers game since he was knocked out of it with a 92 QB rating and with the game still in reach at 17-10.

I always love nebulous, wholly unprovable and therefore undisprovable generic statements like "Sanchez came through for his team when it counted while Henne let his team down." Way to be a homer.

The 0-3 start took all the pressure off henne. if he was the starter week 1 the pressure would have been building but he was a 1st year starter coming in after you lost your starter for the year due to an injury and you were 0-3. he had zero pressure, the pressure came when the Phins had destiny in their own hands and he played his worst football of the year those last 3 games w/ that pressure on.

Any realistic Phins fan expected to be around .500 going into 2009. We all know you benefitted from Brady being out and an incredibly weak sched. That is not a knock on Miami b/c they did it and we couldn't w/ the same opportunity but the '08 team was far from a great team and most logical observers expected a little step back which is what happened.

The Saints and Colts games were big time chokes, that is why people were critical. if they played a close game throught and lost late they would have been praised but when you choke away a lead like they had vs. No or when the opposing O is on the field for 15 mins and yet they score 27 pts and win those are bad losses.

The O had nothing to do w/ those 28 PPG? being ineffective, setting up the opposing O's w/ turnovers and good FP had nothing to do w/ it? not scoring and allowing games to get out of hand early had nothing to do w/ it?

AGAIN, your D deserves its share of the blame but to act like it was all D is foolish as henne and the O were terrible in allowing opponents to get off to huge leads.

Actually it's proven. I showed the #s, I showed the results. Sanchez played his best in our biggest games, Henne played his worst in your biggest games.

I'm a homer b/c i said both QBs had good 1st years and both look like they will be good starting QBs? if that's the criteria then I guess I am a homer.

Sorry if I am not making the same excuses for henne in those last 3 games as you are.

Everyone knew you overachieved a bit in 2008, no one expected Miami to be legit contenders in 2009 and when you start 0-3 it's near impossible to rebound and make the playoffs. That took the pressure off of him where he could just play and develop.

henne threw for 300 yds in those games b/c the opposing D's played soft w/ huge leads and while the D deserves its share of the blame for falling behind so does the O led by henne.

Henne had more att/comp a game b/c his teams were trailing more in games and Sanchez was a rookie QB.

Sanchez was a rookie, henne a 2nd year player who sat a year+ behind a great mentor. That is a HUGE difference, if you don't think so you haven't followed this game long.

Henne vs the Jets in 2009: 32 of 47, 353 yds, 3 TDS and 0 INTs. QB rating of 109.
Sanchez vs the Phins in 2009: 32 of 59, 437 yds, 3 TDS and 0 INTs. QB rating of 94.

Both played well in their matchups. Sanchez had the team with the better defense and WRs. They both deserve props.

The 0-3 start took all the pressure off henne. if he was the starter week 1 the pressure would have been building but he was a 1st year starter coming in after you lost your starter for the year due to an injury and you were 0-3. he had zero pressure, the pressure came when the Phins had destiny in their own hands and he played his worst football of the year those last 3 games w/ that pressure on.

Any realistic Phins fan expected to be around .500 going into 2009. We all know you benefitted from Brady being out and an incredibly weak sched. That is not a knock on Miami b/c they did it and we couldn't w/ the same opportunity but the '08 team was far from a great team and most logical observers expected a little step back which is what happened.

The Saints and Colts games were big time chokes, that is why people were critical. if they played a close game throught and lost late they would have been praised but when you choke away a lead like they had vs. No or when the opposing O is on the field for 15 mins and yet they score 27 pts and win those are bad losses.

The O had nothing to do w/ those 28 PPG? being ineffective, setting up the opposing O's w/ turnovers and good FP had nothing to do w/ it? not scoring and allowing games to get out of hand early had nothing to do w/ it?

AGAIN, your D deserves its share of the blame but to act like it was all D is foolish as henne and the O were terrible in allowing opponents to get off to huge leads.

Actually it's proven. I showed the #s, I showed the results. Sanchez played his best in our biggest games, Henne played his worst in your biggest games.

I'm a homer b/c i said both QBs had good 1st years and both look like they will be good starting QBs? if that's the criteria then I guess I am a homer.

Sorry if I am not making the same excuses for henne in those last 3 games as you are.

You still haven't told me how the Phins turned the ball over giving their opponents good field position. Let's hear it

What is the point? Sanchez against the saints and apats and helped put us in a hole we couldn't overcome.

The dolphin games were certainly not sanchez's fault and the Jags game our D allowed a last minute TD. When did this happen to henne late in the year?

You guys are too into individual stats, this is why we have a genertaion of misnformed football fans that think Peyton is better than Brady or that Steve Young was better than Montana.

Ah i see, so when teams put up 27 points or more against the Dolphins its Henne who failed(or "didnt play the best football when it mattered"), yet when the Jets give up 20 points and lose the games there isn't a point and Sanchez shouldn't be held accountable for his individual numbers. The irony is so thick i could cut it with a knife.
And every game Henne played last year(save for the Bills) came down to the last minute or two, or even the very last drive of the game to decide. Sometimes our D held, some of the time it was Henne driving us down the field, and sometimes our defense put us in a hole that was way to deep.

Just the opposite, im pointing out that the Jets had the number 1 ranked defense, a plethora of talent on both sides, arguable the best offensive line in football, and what Sanchez did(or didnt do) in games. I've specifically asked for opinions on how Sanchez would do if given similar team scenarios. As you have been determined to ignore an entire side of football and willing throw blame to the QB for losing games, i did the same by merely looking up how your team in similar(though still less points) situations.

Back
Top Bottom