Merged X3: The Official Julius Peppers Thread | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged X3: The Official Julius Peppers Thread

Peppers is a high-risk/low reward player if he came to the 3-4 in Miami, and our brass has shown they don't roll the dice on high profile free agents. There's really nothing to debate about it, and thats all I got for this crappy fool's thread.

Indeed, i should have just posted to show the quote in my sig.

When he feels like it, or when he is lucky, or when the planets align properly....no one knows. Some insist he takes plays off, some insist he doesn't have a high motor, i personally just think hes an inconsistent player that(like you said) gets bored and doesnt care enough to improve his craft. Alas, thats just speculation, just as you are speculating that switching positions will keep him interested.
I wouldnt want to pay a player boatloads of money(which it will take, undoubtably more then Dansby or someone that fits our scheme will want) that produces so erratically. Worse than the paycheck: i wouldn't want to rely on someone so inconsistent when games are on the line in must win situations.

So now the 4-3 linebacker fits out scheme because hes the favorite finheaven topic of the week?

There is no guarantee any free agent can come to his new home and replicate or exceed the production he had elsewhere. The probability is similar to draft picks.....~40% of the elite will meet expectations. But unlike 4-3 ILBs, there are plenty of examples of 4-3 DEs having success after switching to OLB in a 3-4 scheme mid-career. Abraham, Pace, Taylor, Roth, Kampman, Berry, etc...

Instead of labeling a few great games as dominate, you could label his career as a few other words: woulda, coulda, shoulda.

81 sacks....our local icon had 80 in his first 8 seasons, and was nowhere near the same caliber player against the run. Even if the guy is playing at half speed its still pretty impressive.

So now the 4-3 linebacker fits out scheme because hes the favorite finheaven topic of the week?

There is no guarantee any free agent can come to his new home and replicate or exceed the production he had elsewhere. The probability is similar to draft picks.....~40% of the elite will meet expectations. But unlike 4-3 ILBs, there are plenty of examples of 4-3 DEs having success after switching to OLB in a 3-4 scheme mid-career. Abraham, Pace, Taylor, Roth, Kampman, Berry, etc...

81 sacks....our local icon had 80 in his first 8 seasons, and was nowhere near the same caliber player against the run. Even if the guy is playing at half speed its still pretty impressive.

I could see that argument...had Karlos Dansby played for a 4-3 team. As the Cardinals played a 3-4 defense, and elements of that defense for 2 years before switching to a majority 3-4 scheme(meaning, from time to time they will go back and forth), i feel no hesitation in saying "Karlos Dansby fits a 3-4". So in a fashion, Karlos Dansby did successfully go from a 4-3 team to a 3-4 team, was just with Arizona as they methodically changed to the defense favored by their new coach, Ken Whisenhunt, who came from the Steelers. For a crude and simply representation of it:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/arizonacardinals/depthchart?team=ARI

Without getting to much into the names game, Pace was able to screw around with parts of a 3-4, Kampmans switch to outside backer is considered a failure to the point that GB is trying to ship him off. And because others have done it(or not in a Kampman or a Patrick Kerney situation) doesnt mean Peppers is in the clear. All of that is beside the point ive made from the first post: Peppers is inconsistent and throwing around numbers doesnt tell the full story. Others have similar(or better) numbers yet less games/years as Peppers.
End of day, were not going to throw out the +30 million guaranteed to grab him, and for that im thankful.

Back
Top Bottom