Merged X5: The Official Antonio Bryant Thread | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged X5: The Official Antonio Bryant Thread

After reading your post I watched the video of Bryant again and was just as impressed as I was the first time I watched it. Then I watched Boldin's highlights from 08, 09. The first thing that stuck out to me was that Boldin was covered by either a safety or a linebacker one on one on two of his three td's against us and on the other he was covered by a linebacker and a safety.

So I watched the rest of his reel and noticed that Boldin generally faced one on one coverage with a corner and the safety playing very deep or cheating over to the other side of the field. That along with great ball placement by Kurt Warner led to some impressive rac yards.

I'm not bringing this up to dog Boldin at all I'm just concerned about what kind of production he can bring to a team where he is the best receiver and faces the same coverage I saw in Bryant's film. Teams were obviously overplaying Bryant most of the time and he has proven he can still produce when facing that kind of coverage.

Another thing that stuck out to me in Bryant's video was the ball placement and decision making by some of Tampa's qb's was very poor. It left me wondering if maybe there were quite a few big play opportunities that were missed. Again I'm not saying Bryant is better I'm just saying he has seen tougher coverage schemes than Boldin has and has been productive against it.

Actually, that's exactly what you are implying by saying that. You are implying that the only reason Boldin looks more impressive is because he was always covered by Akin Ayodele or Cam Wake or something. I'm sorry, I'm not buying that one.

Too many plays I've seen on Boldin highlights, I see BOldin actually "double-teamed", that's right, doubled even when Fitzgerald was on the field. He has produced 1,000 yard seasons with Fitzgerald injured. I am not buying that selective viewing you were doing trying to defend CK's flavor of the month. Sorry.

Then, I'd also add that adding Boldin 'even' in that scenario that the opposing teams would favor Boldin's side of the field would just open things up for Ginn Jr to finally begin to have a good year. Remember, with Boldin, it is still Ginn Jr who would be the deep threat stretching the field (look out Revis!:tumbleweed:).

Anyone who argues that Antonion Bryant is NOT much better than what we currently have is not worth wasting your time on.

He is head and shoulders better than anyone currently on our roster and would be able to come to the team for no compensation other than salary.

Anyone who argues that Antonion Bryant is NOT much better than what we currently have is not worth wasting your time on.

He is head and shoulders better than anyone currently on our roster and would be able to come to the team for no compensation other than salary.

Ok, because you say so. Ok, then. :rolleyes2:

Ok, because you say so. Ok, then. :rolleyes2:

ahh, the Palin school of debating

the truth is Bryant is a much better talent than we have but is he a mature team player? can he be trusted? I would guess that the Tuna and Nolan are better equipped to answer that question than we are

ahh, the Palin school of debating

the truth is Bryant is a much better talent than we have but is he a mature team player? can he be trusted? I would guess that the Tuna and Nolan are better equipped to answer that question than we are

And what do you call that "Anyone who says this and that, isn't worth arguing with...." The liberal school of debating? :crazy:

Actually, that's exactly what you are implying by saying that. You are implying that the only reason Boldin looks more impressive is because he was always covered by Akin Ayodele or Cam Wake or something. I'm sorry, I'm not buying that one.

Too many plays I've seen on Boldin highlights, I see BOldin actually "double-teamed", that's right, doubled even when Fitzgerald was on the field. He has produced 1,000 yard seasons with Fitzgerald injured. I am not buying that selective viewing you were doing trying to defend CK's flavor of the month. Sorry.

Then, I'd also add that adding Boldin 'even' in that scenario that the opposing teams would favor Boldin's side of the field would just open things up for Ginn Jr to finally begin to have a good year. Remember, with Boldin, it is still Ginn Jr who would be the deep threat stretching the field (look out Revis!:tumbleweed:).

I do believe that Boldin is a great wr, I was just making a point about what I saw in the film. But your comments made me curious so I decided to check Boldin's game stats in games where Fitzgerald was injured. Fitzgerald has only missed 4 games in his career so I don't put much stock in the numbers here. Anyway in 4 games without Fitzgerald Boldin has 22 catches for 314yds and 1 touchdown with an average of 14.27 yds per catch and 78 yds per game.

Since 2007 Boldin has missed 9 games and Fitzgerald's numbers in those games are 60 catches for 917yds and 10 td's with an average of 15.28 yds per catch and 102 yds per game.

This is a very small sample but it does concern me that Boldin has never really been the best wr on his team and had to face coverages that were schemed by other defenses to take him out of the game week in and week out like Bryant has. He did perform well his rookie year but he was a different player then IMO.

This made me curious about how Boldin's replacement in the lineup played opposite Fitzgerald. In the last 5 starts Boldin has missed Breaston has 26 catches for 342yds and 3 touchdowns with an average of 13.52 yds per catch and 68 yds per game. Over the course of a season his numbers project to be 83 catches 1088yds and 10td's. Almost exactly what Boldin produced in his last 16 game season. Does this mean Breaston is a true number 1 wr or is it more likely that Arizona's offense is designed to create this sort of production.

With all that being said I believe Bryant can be just as productive in a Fins uniform as Boldin. Which is why I believe the best value is signing Bryant as a free agent. These numbers also make me realize that guys like Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson are really in a league of there own and anyone we bring in here with expectations to play like those guys is only going to disappoint us.

On another note Fitzgerald is really really good, huh. lol

And what do you call that "Anyone who says this and that, isn't worth arguing with...." The liberal school of debating? :crazy:

You have some kind of internet agenda against Antonio Bryant.

To say Antonio Bryant is not an immediate upgrade to our current receiving corp is a complete joke.

You don't like Bryant, we get it already.

edit: post above me is good

Last edited by a moderator:
bryant wide receiver

Bryant had issues with Bill Parcells in Dallas which led him to be traded for Quincy Morgan (though i've heard these indifference's have been resolved), and he had issues with Mike Nolan (now our DC) in San Fran which led to his release.. Also had some issues with drug tests...

yeah I think the man can play, but do you really think they are going to bring this guy in here?:err:

Why are there some folks on here ADAMENT againist an addition of Antonie Bryant? I don't understand the motive.

The guy is a nice receiver and would be a clear upgrade. He's had some baggage issues in the past, but that's water under the bridge now. He's even mended fences with Parcells as they've exchanged text messages in recent times.

I don't know if the Trifecta would go after him, but I certainly wouldn't be mad at the addition. We need TALENT. Antonio Bryant is absolutly talented. We need a wide receiver who can turn a 5 yard out into a 30 something odd gain. Bryant is capable of that. Bottom line is he'd improve the group.

X Bryant

Y: Hartline

Slot: Bess

4/5 Camrillio/Ginn Jr.

Not bad. It's a start.

Back
Top Bottom