Merlon Grenwood And The Second Round..and News. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merlon Grenwood And The Second Round..and News.

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Morlon Greenwood And The Second Round..and News.

You know....if there was ever a time...we as Dolphin fans would have liked to have that second round pick...it sure seems the time would be now. Lots of folks that I talk to locally here in Davie..said to me the other day. Hey...if we had that second round pick...we could definately afford to give New Orleans that FIRST and Third...or if we had that second round pick...we could send it to the JAGS for RB FRED TAYLOR. Its all talk in hypotheiticals now.... but lets face it.... If the DOlphins were to shop Merlon Greenwood right now....what can they get for him? I am not saying lets trade GREENWOOD...but you just can't help but think about that vacant second round pick. Was Greenwood worth jumping up for...and giving this years second rounder to the EAGLES? I just want to throw this out there..now that some people are questioning last years trade-up. Certainly Greenwood has lots of potential...and granted...he was hurt early on. He did play well down the stretch last year..showed good promise against the run. But...looking back. Was Merlon Greenwood worth jumping up for? Will he turn out to be a Patrick SURTAIN type...another guy who started off seemingly slow...was questioned....and then of course...blossomed into a bonifed starter.
There is a huge draft slot open this year...a #2 pick. This is one off-season where that pick could have really been helpful in all this trade talk. Its all a foregone conclusion now...but doesn't everyone wish that we can get another teams....anyones second round pick...right now...straight up for GREENWOOD? I just wanted to get your insight on GREENWOOD...and WAS IT WORTH IT?

And while I am here....How about this trade to the Saints.
We have BRENT SMITH coming off surgery....they have WILLIE "Meat" ROAF...coming off surgery. Now...thats not fair. So we also send them future considerations...depending on ROAFS health. GEtting ROAF is not far-fetched...considering we have SMITH, SPRIGGS, DRAPER...for bait. The Dolphins need to give ROAF a physical...before exploring this deal.

I don't think there is anything going on right now between the Dolphins and Ricky Williams. The SAINTS and BROWNS are more likely to make a deal at this point. From what I know...the Dolphins will never give the SAINTS TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS. There is no FIRST AND THIRD...MUELLER wants TWO #1's. He can forget that. If this trade happens...it will probably be on the day of the draft...when he comes down to reality.

I like getting FRED TAYLOR...for that third round pick....but really? Does anyone actually think that the JAGS would send Taylor away for only a third....when the SAINTS are asking everyone around the NFL for 2 first rounders? No.

Former UM JESSE ARMSTEAD re-uniting with WANNY down here...makes my toes tingle...as MANDICH would say. He is a FA...who I have heard would like to come back to SOuth FLorida...but at what price?

On that note...I expect the Dolphins to re-visit the hiring of DT RUSSELL MARYLAND....who probably will want to play this time around. I think CORTEZ KENNEDY has retired for good. I saw him on the golf course recently....and he is living large.

Like I said before....OLIN KREUTZ..is the guy that we should be prairie doggin over the horizon. He should be priority FA #1.
THATS IT FOR NOW..
DCH

There are 2 things you are overlooking:
1) There is no way RW will accept a trade to Cleaveland. He has said he would go to Miami or stay in New Orleans. I almost gaurntee he would not go to the frozen north.

2) If New Orleans waits till June 1st to deal they only will take a cap hit of about .3 mill. If they trade him before June 1st they take a hit of 2.25 mill.

I also have to touch on your Greenwood speach. Last season most fans were so happy that wemoved up to get the olb we needed so much last season. Who could of known that he would miss all of preseason. He did improve greatly towards the end of the season, and who knows after this preseason we might all be jumping up in down that it only cost Miami a 2nd round pick for him. Hindsight is always 20-20 my freind.

Greenwood was/is Necessary and Is Good

I'm going to have to agree with Dajesus on this one. Greenwood was a necessary pick up for the 'Fins last season and an excellent one considering the circumstances towards the end. If it hadn't been for Morlon (spelled with two "O's" not an "O" and an "E") the OLB situation would have been dire after Rodgers went down.
:eek:
While I do wish the 'Fins had a second rounder this year, I would definitely give up a second roud pick to have Greenwood on the team for the upcoming season. I thought it was a good trade then and I still believe it was a good trade.

:cry: :cry: :cry: : cry: :

Originally posted by DIRTYCASHHOLDIN
but lets face it.... If the DOlphins were to shop Merlon Greenwood right now....what can they get for him?

It's MORLON Greenwood, and no, I wouldn't trade him right now.

His play on the field was getting to the point where he was playing with his instincts, and not running around thinking about what to do. He will only improve, and if he can step up and play solid run D, it will only help to solidify a weak run defense that lost us more games then I even want to think about.

He showed a ton of promise at the end of the season, and I like his potentiol.

Re: Greenwood was/is Necessary and Is Good

Originally posted by Expo88
I'm going to have to agree with Dajesus on this one. Greenwood was a necessary pick up for the 'Fins last season and an excellent one considering the circumstances towards the end. If it hadn't been for Morlon (spelled with two "O's" not an "O" and an "E") the OLB situation would have been dire after Rodgers went down.
:eek:
While I do wish the 'Fins had a second rounder this year, I would definitely give up a second roud pick to have Greenwood on the team for the upcoming season. I thought it was a good trade then and I still believe it was a good trade.

:cry: :cry: :cry: : cry: :

You beat me to it Expo...:D

hindsight is 20-20

but we needed a 3rd down back and OLB desparately and saw the chance to get them both in the 3rd round for 2001.

How many people thought the Surtain for a 1st rounder was a good trade at the time ? If Pat was not good until his 3rd year, we would screaming...

I don't know if he was worth a second rounder, but he was certainly worth an early third rounder. I think by the end of next season, we will all think the trade for him was worth it.

It seems to me that if we didn't get Greenwood last year, we would be looking to draft an OLB this year in somewhere around the same position. At least this way we come out of the deal with a second year player instead of a rookie. i'm happy with Greenwood at this stage and I think we definately did the right thing last year in making the move to get him.

I do believe Greenwood outplayed Rodgers who for some reason the Dolphins love.I would rather resign Galyon over Rodgers.Morlon Greenwood to me was worth a second rounder.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
Galyon sucks. I would take Rodgers over him anyday.
they both need to re-negotiate since they are overpaid :mad: and where does that leave us at OLB :confused: back to where we were last year :yell: unless Rodgers takes a big pay cut.

Galyon will be cut, as will JJJ, Goodwin, McDuffie (I heard he did something with that contract though), and Bowens. We now need to clear another 2 mill almost because of Fiedler's new deal.

Actualy Ice, jay's new deal pays him 100,000 less then his old deal. So we saved money on the new contract for this season.

last time i saw galyon play............

i thought he did real well. at least the times he was in on the play, he hit hard!;)

Originally posted by dolfan87
Actualy Ice, jay's new deal pays him 100,000 less then his old deal. So we saved money on the new contract for this season.

Yeah but a) when we were 16 million over the cap, it didn't include Jay and b) his new deal will hurt next season, and after that we will cut him.

Back
Top Bottom