Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Shawn Merriman

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
Which one do you prefer for the Dolphins D? I know there are a lot of DJ supporters here, but having watched him play several games the last couple of years, I can see legit flaws in his game. He doesn't fit a 3-4, imo (which we will be shifting to on occasion).

Because of Merriman's ability to be an outstanding pass rusher from the DE spot, stand up a blocker and take on an O-lineman (as well as play LB with good quicks and decent enough speed), I'll take him over DJ.

Pasquarelli has a good write up on both LB's. His criticism of DJ is legit from the few times I've watched him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&page=lb_ratings

Merriman by a good bit. Derrick Johnson is the most overrated player in this draft.

KB21 said:
Merriman by a good bit. Derrick Johnson is the most overrated player in this draft.
Really don't want either but completely agree with that. The only 3 D-players I'd like in the 1st-T. Johnson, A. Rolle, or D. Pollack

No way Merriman is better, Johnson may not get as much tackles as typical first rounder but he is an impact player, he will tackles for losses, sacks and will cause massive amounts of fumbles with his sweet tackling style Johnson all the way

JAREDMANN said:
No way Merriman is better, Johnson may not get as much tackles as typical first rounder but he is an impact player, he will tackles for losses, sacks and will cause massive amounts of fumbles with his sweet tackling style Johnson all the way

Hard to tackle when you are getting your *** blocked because you can't take on a blocker.

KB21 said:
Hard to tackle when you are getting your *** blocked because you can't take on a blocker.
Just what I was going to say, plus IMO he sometimes seems to be a little lost on the field and isn't very strong kinda likes to arm tackle instead of exploding on the ball.

KB21 said:

i hear the same thing about some other Lb in the league, whats his name oh ya Zach T.

JAREDMANN said:

You should read Pasquarelli's notes on the link. Informative.

You should also read John Clayton's article on ESPN (go to the NFL section - it's the front page story of that section).

The more I think about it, if we traded down and were able to get a couple of extra day one picks, I'd be interested. About two months ago I put out a list of five guys I'd love to have on the team that are in the 1st round. They were (as best as I can recall!):

Merriman
M. Williams
C. Williams
Alex Smith
Alex Barron

JAREDMANN said:
i hear the same thing about some other Lb in the league, whats his name oh ya Zach T.

There's a big difference. Johnson doesn't have the type of instincts that Zach Thomas has.

merriman might be better for us since we'll be a hybrid team going from 4-3 to 3-4 and he can play end OLB... but johnson is the much better player... much better coverage skills, much better instincts, better ball hawk forcing turnovers, sure he might gamble alittle but you have to to make the big plays... running around blocks is something that can be corrected... hes the best defender i nthe draft next to rolle if you ask me...

JAREDMANN said:

There is a difference here that you aren't considering. Zach T. has played in a D with two mammoth DT's in front of him that take up the interior blockers so he can make the tackle. From a run defense standpoint, it is built ENTIRELY around him; to protect him so he can make the play.

And, when the DT's aren't doing their job or are injured his productivity goes down. He still makes tackles, but a lot of them are 8-10 yards down field. That's not where you want them.

With DJ - who's going to protect him? We can't protect two LB's from the D-linemen!

Da 'Fins said:
There is a difference here that you aren't considering. Zach T. has played in a D with two mammoth DT's in front of him that take up the interior blockers so he can make the tackle. From a run defense standpoint, it is built ENTIRELY around him; to protect him so he can make the play.

And, when the DT's aren't doing their job or are injured his productivity goes down. He still makes tackles, but a lot of them are 8-10 yards down field. That's not where you want them.

With DJ - who's going to protect him? We can't protect two LB's from the D-linemen!
Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom