Meyer OKs 7-year deal with Gators ! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Meyer OKs 7-year deal with Gators !

CrunchTime

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
clear.gif
nly a few days ago, it looked like a done deal. Urban Meyer, a devout Irish-Catholic who always considered Notre Dame his dream job, seemed a lock to end up in South Bend, Ind.

Instead, he's coming to Gainesville.
Here's the done deal - Meyer, the highly regarded, much-coveted coach at Utah, is Florida's new head football coach. After meeting with Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley in Salt Lake City on Thursday and Friday, Meyer agreed Friday afternoon to a seven-year contract with UF that will pay him about $2 million a year, sources confirmed to The Sun.

UF will officially announce his hiring today after Meyer has a chance to tell his players the news at a team meeting this morning in Salt Lake City. Meyer will be introduced as UF's coach at a Tuesday news conference on campus.

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041204/LOCAL/41204007/1078

He took the "cream" job over his "dream" job.Should be interesting .Count on the better utilization of Chris Leak's talents.Imagine when Spurriers Fun & Gun meets the Urban Sprawl Spread offense.We will see basketball type scores.

:thewave:

Go ahead and give Leak the Heisman for next year!

Go gators!!!!!!!.Just the guy we need.Leak will win the next Heisman.!!

As for Leak winning the Heisman, doubtful because he'll go through the learning process of a new spread offense. His #s shouldn't be any better than this year. Him being in the Heisman race also requires, at least recently, Florida to be a one loss team. If Crowder & Fason leave as rumored that'll be a difficult task in the SEC.

SMadison29 said:
As for Leak winning the Heisman, doubtful because he'll go through the learning process of a new spread offense. His #s shouldn't be any better than this year. Him being in the Heisman race also requires, at least recently, Florida to be a one loss team. If Crowder & Fason leave as rumored that'll be a difficult task in the SEC.
It will be interesting to see who will leave, hopefully no one but we'll see. They are somewhat deep at RB though, no doubt Fason's the best but Thornton and Wynn are decent. As far as Crowder, he's pretty much un-replaceable at MLB, not to mention the heart of the defense.

SMadison29 said:

Wrong.Zook was a great recruiter and there are many potential stars waiting in the wings just waiting for their chance.The spread offense is not difficult to learn.They should not miss a beat and they will be competetive from the get go.

I hope the new coach spends a little time with Fason to convince him to stay.I think he will stay.Crowder I dont know.He gets into so much trouble he may have to leave.

Wrong.Zook was a great recruiter and there are many potential stars waiting in the wings just waiting for their chance.

What was I wrong about? There is always a learning curve when learning a new offense. Not only does Leak have to learn it but so do the rest of the offensive players.

I agree with in regards to Fason & Crowder. Fason will probably stay & Crowder heads out.

SMadison29 said:
What was I wrong about? There is always a learning curve when learning a new offense. Not only does Leak have to learn it but so do the rest of the offensive players.

I agree with in regards to Fason & Crowder. Fason will probably stay & Crowder heads out.

I will grant you that there will be an adjustment period but I still think we will compete for the SEC next year.Zook had some very good recruitment classes.He just didnt know how to utilize those talents.

I am happy to hear Meyer is a good recruiter and has contacts in florida.

FWIW, Crowder isn't going to be the starting MLB next year, anyway -- that'll be Brandon Siler. If Crowder is back, he'll be playing outside.

I'm not worried about replacing Fason AT ALL.

Crowder's a different story, though. Same with Mike DeGory.

Back
Top Bottom