Miami 18th in total defense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami 18th in total defense

This is a totally different defense now with Ray M, Timmons, Tankersley instead of nitwit, the coaches figuring out Hayes needs more playing time, and the development of younger guys like Godchaux, Harris and even both corners. Far cry still from a Denver defense, but it's not the unit any Dolphins fan is remotely concerned with going into any game at this point. Also, and in my mind the most important variable - keep in mind the offense is making them play about 10 game minutes too many every damn week. You have to account for all of that - something season-to-date numbers don't do.

Again, guys, it's really hard to measure how good a team does. Every stat has limitations. DVOA is based on yards, but it's not just yards, it's how valuable those yards are towards the goal of getting first downs, which is how you score points. For example, 1 yard on 3rd and 1 is extremely valuable. It's not the same as 1 yard on 1st and 10 or 1 yard on 3rd and 10. So DVOA values yards according to how much they help the cause, and also adjusts per strength of opponent.

On the numbers side, I think DVOA is the best method, and it's not even close. But it doesn't account for things like the Timmons situation, or the Mariota situation, let alone hurricanes and stuff.

The updated stats as of Wednesday October 11th shows Miami as 8th in total defense giving up an average of 309.5 yards per game.

Our defense being ranked that high is especially impressive when you factor in the fact our offense can’t keep them off the field

Hey, just wanted to counter the "2nd in total defense" thread with better stats from FO. I was thinking about posting them anyway regarding the perception that the offense sucks but the defense is doing well. So is it? Well, kind of.

Offense: 31st, 29th passing, 30th running. No surprises here.

Defense: 18th, 29th against the pass, 2nd against the run.

The 2nd against the run is very impressive, no doubt. Quick note: The Titans are, overall, the 22nd pass offense. That's remarkable, since Mariota is ranked as the 7th best passer. FOs numbers have a correction for strength of schedule, but last Sunday is boosting our numbers more than it should.

By comparison, in 2016 we were the 19th defense, 16th against the pass and 22nd against the run.

In short, our offense has plummeted, but our defense is still mediocre, just like it was last year. By comparison, they're playing great, but in reality that pass defense will lose way more games than the run defense will win as opponents start to catch up to that.

Quick note: These numbers don't reflect who's better or who's worse or what a team is, they're simply a description of what the results have been so far.

Edit: These are not plain yards, this is DVOA, yards adjusted per situation and opponent.

Don't agree...your too caught up in stats.

Stopping the run forces the pass which plays into the pass rush....of course it spells more passing yards...but it equals less points.

23.75 per game allowed in 2016

16.75 per game allowed in 2017

Last edited:
If we go into hypothetical thinking, our offense has been our biggest deterrent towards our Defense. It's actually quite amazing how good our D has played while our Offense has literally been the worst I've ever witnessed. We have the talent on D to be top 15 overall by the end of the year. PPG are all that matter. Ask the Patriots last year whether or not they'd lead in allowing yards or points. Imagine if we could gain a first down!! They're playing great up to this point. Hopefully the offense can live up to being an "NFL caliber Offense" and stop looking worse than most High Schools..(not a joke)

I've been following the NFL since 1970 and I've yet to see a game
won on yards alone

Ya usually points are what determine games. Can we just be happy when our D is 2nd in stopping the run and in PPG?!!? It's official!! Fin Fans will complain about anything and everything. Right now, the only thing we should be ridiculing is our inept offense. It almost feels like fin fans want to have a bad D just to say they were right about not having the talent to have a top D. Just like the Titans had Cassel, we had Cutler. Not much difference. Teams that played us must have the best Ds in the league. Right now, our Defense is playing as a stable squad unlike the offense which is holding back the D. Jets had almost what 40 mins of Time of possession? It's our terrible offense that cannot stay on the field for a first down. The problem is our offense and that's clear as day

I wonder why the Jets coasted in the 2nd half. Here are the Dolphins drives in the 3rd/4th quarters:

1st possession: 3 and out. 2 incompletions and -5 yards on an Ajayi run.
2nd possession: 4 and out. 2 passes for 3 yards, an incomplete pass, and an INT thrown by the punter.
3rd possession: Started at own 25 and got to Jets 21. 4 incomplete passes later turnover on downs.
4th possession: Started at own 10, got to Jets 42 yd line thanks to 2 completions and a roughing the passer. On 4th and 6, Cutler throws a 4 yard pass to Parker. Turnover on downs.
5th possession: Started at own 45 and ends on a Cutler INT at the Jets 15.
6th possession: Started at own 20 and ended on a literal last second TD to Parker.

The only TD the defense allowed was when the Jets began at the Dolphins 49 yard line. The other possessions by the Jets resulted in a FG, a possession where they allowed 15 yards (also a PI on Howard), a forced fumble, and a 3 and out.

If the offense actually resembled a competent offense the defense would be even better IMO.

You don't even have to say IMO brother. You're 100% correct. It's our terrible offense. We just stopped the best running game in the league. Can we EVER be happy? lol I'll answer that..NOPE!!

Actually, in points allowed (which is the only stat that matters on defense) we're 4th in the NFL.

With how well the D is playing, Miami should be 4-0, especially considering the pedestrian schedule so far.

With Tannehill at QB this is a 4-0 team

how are we 18th? we are 8th in total yards given up per game and more importantly 4th in ppg

Also top 5 in the NFL in 3rd down percentage against.

With how bad the offense is, it's amazing that the defense hasn't been hit more.

For all those that crucified Burke before the product actually hit the field, this is why I prefer to wait and see what happens. So far (and there's still a lot of season left), it's looking like Burke has more versatility than Joseph did and is putting the guys in a position to make plays.

The biggest thing I saw out of our defense last week that I haven't seen in a while was screens getting blown up. Timmons is better than I thought he was going to be. He does not look like he's lost a step.

I agree 100%. I was still pissed at Timmons for his no show but he quickly got my attention playing screens and short over the middle stuff much better than the guys we had there before.
The guy played a solid game as did the whole LB unit. When was the last time we could say that ?

Back
Top Bottom