Miami Competes Next Year If... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Competes Next Year If...

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Watching the Buffalo game I love the team's effort and believe the coaching staff in on the right track. In a way it was one of Fitzpatrick's best games considering he was under constant pressure. On the other hand, Josh Allen had an NFL eternity 5, 6, 7 seconds to find open receivers.

The weaknesses stood out big time in this game. It's hard to cover up an offensive line so devoid of talent, especially with a good defensive opponent in Buffalo. That and a lack of a pass rush are really the two biggest issues. That said, obviously getting the quarterback of the future has to be the priority moving forward.

So, what can Miami do to compete as early as next year? The team has a slew of draft picks and money to spend in free agency. A concentration on the offensive line, pass rushers and finding a quarterback could go a long way to fielding a competitive team. It's possible that Fitzpatrick holds down the fort for another year as well, or that Rosen could still be in play (if he plays).

For the sake of argument, could Miami completely overhaul one side of the ball in the offseason? With three number one picks and two in the second, its possible that the Dolphins could go all in on offense as an example, or even find some elite defensive talent and perhaps be a top 10 unit on that side.

The team could take several building methods. It's possible that Miami could sign a quarterback like Bridgewater, bring in some offensive linemen in free agency and concentrate on defense in the draft. Maybe look for a developmental quarterback like Love or Hurts. My guess is the team will trade up a few spots for Herbert now that Tua is a huge question with his hip injury.

waynes-world-monkeys-might-fly-out1.jpg

:lol:

I imagine the odds of competing next year are slim. Building through the draft like this means we'll have a lot of rookies on the roster. However talented they may end up, rookies are probably not going to make the team competitive right away. And that's assuming we don't completely miss on the picks. I anticipate similar growing pains next year and the year after. We may have to be very patient for this rebuild to payoff.

Don't forget the rest of the AFC East could better themselves and are ahead of us in most categories

We can't compete with just draft picks. We need to get a few players in free agency. Two starting oline guys in free agency would be a good start. I believe we'll be better next year but the real run could cOme in 2021 IF we have a very good off season

Options as I see it in basic terms:

1) trade up for a QB not leav8ng much in the way of draft picks in 2020 and also maximising FA to start the rebuild and then 2021 draft pick up as much talent with our picks as possible and the QB we’ve picked shows he’s got the potential to be our next franchise QB. We can then keep FP or Rosen as back up.

2) we don’t trade up and use all our picks filling positions of most need.

a) we then pick up a Fromm or love .... with a second round pick and see how they get on with FP as back up QB we also make excellent use of FA if the QB doesn’t work we throw everything including the kitchen sink at getting Trevor Lawrence in 2021

b) we don’t pick up a QB and throw everything at getting Lawrence in 2021 with RP and Rosen as QBs for one more season bedding in the new lines in readiness for Lawrence

NB: Lawrence can be replaced with the QB of your choice in 2021 draft class

3) we don’t pick QB and fill positions with draft picks and FA and pick up a quality QB in FA

a) if it works and QB from FA is doing the job we carry on utilisin* picks to fill position s with FA in 2021

b) if QB doesn’t work we throw everything at getting Lawrence or whoever in 2021 and utilise FA.

Miami will compete...

BETTER next year.

I think that's a safe statement.

They have enough ammunition to bring in better players on both O & D-line

which is their biggest weakness IMO. They are very weak up front.

It will take a few years before they can CONTEND.

Hit on QB
Spend big on veteran offensive lineman and also a DE
Double up there by drafting heavy on the Oline too along with the front 7
Get a big, bruising RB in the draft
Get a Fasano-type TE

This team would be competitive quickly. Buffalo beat us up on the lines so if we could get a massive talent influx there with our capital, it would jump start this rebuild. The rest of the positions can be sorted out later as they're less important. You lose on both lines of scrimmage and you're most likely going to lose the game no matter who you have everywhere else.

Don't forget the rest of the AFC East could better themselves and are ahead of us in most categories
Well, the Pats are the Pats, but I don't see the bills, or the jests all of the sudden becoming powerhouses.

I've said from the beginning, this is a three year rebuild, minimum.

As you say, rookies are rookies, and mistakes are to be expected. Probably mid season next year, before we start playing with much consistency.

Personally, I think the most important thing is O-line. My "quandry" is that I'm not generally a fan of using high picks for that unit.

I know QB is the position that makes the most difference, but one without the other is about useless.

At least with a competant line, you can establish some semblance of a running game, which can be a young QBs best friend.

Defensively, it's obvious we need better pass rushers. I most certainly use a rd1 pick there.

QB, OL, DE (pass rush is essential), RB, I like T Etienne but there are several

Well, the Pats are the Pats, but I don't see the bills, or the jests all of the sudden becoming powerhouses.

I've said from the beginning, this is a three year rebuild, minimum.

As you say, rookies are rookies, and mistakes are to be expected. Probably mid season next year, before we start playing with much consistency.

Personally, I think the most important thing is O-line. My "quandry" is that I'm not generally a fan of using high picks for that unit.

I know QB is the position that makes the most difference, but one without the other is about useless.

At least with a competant line, you can establish some semblance of a running game, which can be a young QBs best friend.

Defensively, it's obvious we need better pass rushers. I most certainly use a rd1 pick there.
Agreed, Bills and Jets have their QB already so they are ahead of us, juries out on their success potential but we're still behind. Jets have a back ( I think he's gone next year), and a stud safety. They need a pass rush and OL as we do. Bills are ahead of us by more just hope we catch up soon.

I imagine the odds of competing next year are slim. Building through the draft like this means we'll have a lot of rookies on the roster. However talented they may end up, rookies are probably not going to make the team competitive right away. And that's assuming we don't completely miss on the picks. I anticipate similar growing pains next year and the year after. We may have to be very patient for this rebuild to payoff.
I agree. I am encouraged by this coaching staff, though. If they can be competitive with this group, what happens when the team actually has talent? Even young talent?

Hit on QB
Get a Fasano-type TE

This team would be competitive quickly. Buffalo beat us up on the lines so if we could get a massive talent influx there with our capital, it would jump start this rebuild. The rest of the positions can be sorted out later as they're less important. You lose on both lines of scrimmage and you're most likely going to lose the game no matter who you have everywhere else.
Hopefully Smythe can develop into a Fasano type for us. Don’t recall seeing him out there much this year

Hit on QB
Get a Fasano-type TE

I would just point out that you really overpay for average pass rushers in free agency. I would prefer to address that in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom