Miami Competes Next Year If... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Competes Next Year If...

Tbh if Tua is still there when we pick, I'm still taking him. Once upon a time we passed on Drew Brees because he was coming off shoulder surgery and we didn't think he could fully regain his ability to play at a high level. He was 10x better and we've regretted it since then so I'm not about to make the same mistake again. I'm going to take my shot and if it doesn't work out, oh well, but I refuse to live in regret by playing it safe.

I'm also insane, so I would probably draft Hurts too with one of my other first rounders. Worst case scenario they both bust, but I still went through 2 QBs in one QB cycle whereas we wasted 7 years wondering if Tannehill was the guy so we're ahead of schedule for that 3rd QB. What did it cost me? A first rounder? Who cares... If only one turns out to be really good, oh well, I've got my quarterback for the next 15 years. Best case? Best case is that they both turn out to be really good and I trade the lesser of the two for the most draft capital in NFL history. I didn't like Hurts before the season, but he's been so good that he's got me thinking that he could emulate what Lamar Jackson is doing. Slightly slower runner, but bigger build and a strong arm and I think he's going to be that undervalued guy in the draft like Wilson, Jackson, Watson etc.

That 3rd 1st rounder would be used on a DE or an Olineman. Also, I don't want Herbert at all. I think he's a bust waiting to happen and that's the feeling I had about Josh Allen, Rosen, and Darnold last year. All it took me was seeing that graphic up on ESPN early in the season that showed his numbers when pressured. They were an unmitigated disaster so I was out right then. I don't care what kind of stats he puts up after that.

Love has been really bad this year compared to last and Fromm just looks like a guy who's going along for the ride. He's been mediocre and barely has to do anything. I don't subscribe to that "he's a winner" philosophy because then you just end up with an Alex Smith. I want my QB to do something big when I'm losing the game. I don't care that he wins when he throws for 110 yards in a game.
I'm interested to see how Tua progresses. That will be huge heading up to the draft, if he even declares now.

Hurts is an interesting prospect. A little bit like Lamar Jackson. Not as dynamic as a runner obviously, but more accurate in college. That was the issue with Jackson, although that coaching staff seems to have ironed it out. I like Fromm, but with him you don't get those athletic plays so I'm torn between swinging for the fences (Love, Herbert) or going with someone who seemingly is a good fit for a NE-type offense.

Of course, it's not my decision. My gut says Miami trades up a couple of spots and gets Herbert. Hopefully, they keep all three first rounders.

First of all, I'm glad we can have a discussion, and disagree, without it descending into a p***ing contest.

I'm not approaching it from the running QB standpoint at all. I believe a pocket passer, that stands in there, and delivers the rock on time is superior. He just needs elusiveness within the pocket, which is more a function if "feel", than pure athletic ability.

I'm basing my opinion on the fact that the odds of Tua ever recovering to the point he will be a durable, top level QB are very very low.
That does seem like the case. Will be very interesting to watch heading up to the draft. I kind of think that Tua now goes back to school.

Probably take a bit more than 1 player, but a DE that can set the edge, and win 1v1 matchups would go a long way to getting us there.
We had Young. His name was Jason Taylor, and he didn't make any sort of dent in the playoff world because we were saddled with Jay Fielder among others that were equally bad.

As great of a prospect as Young is, a DE is a luxury, not a necessity. We need that QB and we need to go hard at that position, something we never do. Passing the best QB options for Young is going the safe route... again. I'm vehemently against that.

I don’t think they can compete next year no matter what. One thing that would help them to compete sooner is Grier leaving.
broken-record.jpg

While I'm not an advocate of spending huge amounts of money on Free Agents, I do see the advantages of spending on the right players. Miami can compete if they get the 2020 offseason done right. Signing OG's Joe Thunney and Brandon Sherff would go a long way in helping. They are fantastic fits for Miami. They bring experience and are both in their prime. CB Byron Jones looks like he might make it out if Dallas as a F/A. He's another guy who's a perfect fit. Signing Jones to add to what Miami has done developing its players this year, COULD, bring the secondary to another level. These are the 3 players I'd be willing to spend large contracts on. As for the draft. Well this is where it's gotten complicated due to Tua's injury. If Miami somehow repositions itself for a run at a QB in 2021, by trading down from a few of its higher picks, I'd understand. But for arguements sake Miami still needs rush LB's and a big bruising RB to help toughen this team up.
I think Miami is in a unique free agent position, one that perhaps no team has had before. They don't have any young, talented players that need to be paid. That could change (and hopefully will) after the draft. But, the team could essentially overpay and not hurt the cap long-term the way the Suh deal did.

I'd sign-up for your free agency!

We had Young. His name was Jason Taylor, and he didn't make any sort of dent in the playoff world because we were saddled with Jay Fielder among others that were equally bad.

As great of a prospect as Young is, a DE is a luxury, not a necessity. We need that QB and we need to go hard at that position, something we never do. Passing the best QB options for Young is going the safe route... again. I'm vehemently against that.
Agree, unless there isn't a clear-cut quarterback the team likes. I don't think that will be the case, though.

I'm interested to see how Tua progresses. That will be huge heading up to the draft, if he even declares now.

Hurts is an interesting prospect. A little bit like Lamar Jackson. Not as dynamic as a runner obviously, but more accurate in college. That was the issue with Jackson, although that coaching staff seems to have ironed it out. I like Fromm, but with him you don't get those athletic plays so I'm torn between swinging for the fences (Love, Herbert) or going with someone who seemingly is a good fit for a NE-type offense.

Of course, it's not my decision. My gut says Miami trades up a couple of spots and gets Herbert. Hopefully, they keep all three first rounders.
Interesting point you bring up, about Tua declaring, or not.

Hard to say what is in his best interests. I don't trust Saban's word on whether he would have a fair shot next year.

Agree, unless there isn't a clear-cut quarterback the team likes. I don't think that will be the case, though.
I've had an internal debate with myself recently about whether I'd trade down in that scenario or take Young. Not sure what I'd do at this point.

As stated above many times; trenches, trenches, trenches draft and FA.

I've always been a without-a-QB-you're-nothing guy but not even this years Lamar Jackson would do well behind our oline.

We can't run to balance our attack.

DL can't pressure to save their lives.

I've gone from QB or nothing to build from the inside out.

You want to see what we have in a Rosen that is being coached up, groomed. You need to protect him.

You want to beat Brady, you pressure him with 4.

Trenches, trenches, trenches.
Hard not to think that after watching the Buffalo game. The Bills have that, which has enabled the team to be in the hunt with a second year quarterback who is still developing.

Perhaps Rosen could be the guy. I have to think he would have put up good numbers behind that Buffalo line yesterday with no pass rush to worry about.

Saying all that, I do think a team needs to have a top 10 caliber quarterback to compete for championships. That's been my thought all along, although there's no way any quarterback can be that behind Miami's current offensive line. Props to Fitzpatrick really for hanging in there. Not great numbers, but give him points for grit and toughness.

I think Miami is in a unique free agent position, one that perhaps no team has had before. They don't have any young, talented players that need to be paid. That could change (and hopefully will) after the draft. But, the team could essentially overpay and not hurt the cap long-term the way the Suh deal did.

I'd sign-up for your free agency!
This is where I've agreed with what Ross instructed Grier to do. He cleaned up the cap, allowing Miami the ability to recreate the team. There are no longer any huge contracts that are hampering the team. Rashad Jones' contract will be off the books, once they cut him in the offseason. Wilson's contract may be purged as well. He just doesnt look the same. Charles Harris is another guy, but he'll be gone due to talent, Not contract. Miami is at a huge advantage for the next few seasons. It's just a question as to what F/A are willing to sign? But I do believe this was the plan and it will help Miami Compete sooner rather than later.

Draft or sign studs on the offensive line. If you draft a new QB and he plays his rookie season on his back, he’s not going to progress because he sees less actual defense. If we acquire actual guards to the point we have a decent run game and middle of the pocket on medium passing downs, we win 5-6 more games.

Also, I think we potential enournous talent at wr and te. I’ve been an extreme Parker hater since after his dud rookie year, constant injuries, drops, lack of body control on the sideline but he did flash talent. He’s been a lone bright spot for me and I’m ready to get on board should it continue. I’ve been a Preston supporter too since we found him for nothing other than a min contract. Hope he can come back from injury. Diamond in the rough finds like that are what can put teams over the top.

1. We need OL help asap. Spend the money on young f/a at leased two. 2. Draft qb or upgrade veteran qb in free agent. 3 we need DE and Dt help. 4. Need a good starter at Cb. This will closed cap on other too afc east team. Still long way go to beat N.E.

Back
Top Bottom